Best Perk Or Comp Ever Given To You By RC

For me 'the best' was actually something that cost them very littler.....

On the first night of the cruise we were looking coke zero in one of the coke freestyle machines. Turns out the 2 machines in the Wave Jammer were out of all diet drinks. We ended up asking a staff member who then rang around the other locations on the ships to see if any machine had coke zero only to find they  had not been stocked for the cruise. As we were talking to him we found out he was the manager of the Wave Jammer. Anyway... long story short every 2 days after that a plate of an assortment of cookies would be delivered to our room compliments of the team at the Wave Jammer.

Again... this cost them very little but meant so much to us and will be something we will always remember.

I would say the majority of the "perks" we have received have been earned due to C&A status (robes or Balcony discount for example) or as part of the booking (OBC for the sale of the day). So I don't really consider those in my response.

Outside of those types of perks the only thing we have received as a surprise/unearned item was the 25% Future Cruise Credit for last year's Adventure of the Seas sailing with the post dry-dock issues. Personally, I took that as more of a kick in the nuts than an apology and it has significantly affected my opinion of RCI as a brand. I did use the FCC for a discounted cruise on Majesty and enjoyed that cruise but I no longer consider myself an RCI "Loyal to Royal" and have branched out to several other cruise lines largely because of that experience.

Looking for a "best" experience to offset that story, I would actually go back to the Adventure of the Seas though and our first experience as Diamond Members ordering our "diamond drinks". The bartender offered me the menu to choose from and I selected a beer (don't recall which type but they were all bottled options) ... he gave me a look, started to say something and then nodded and walked away and disappeared ... about 15 minutes went by and I was starting to get irritated ... he reappears from a secret door clutching a six pack of the beer I had ordered and explains that he is not supposed to stock that beer at his bar but he went and "found" it for me. He definitely went above and beyond, I didn't have the heart to tell him any of the other beers on the menu would have been just fine.

• 2 weeks later...

2 years ago my wife and I booked a week cruise on Independence of the seas. We booked an ocean view window room. A few weeks before the cruise an RCI representative called and offered us a balcony upgrade, and actually let us choose the balcony room we wanted, for $100. SOLD! It was amazing, but has now ruined us and we always want a balcony. Being platinum members now we booked an ocean view balcony on Oasis this sept. 3-10 with our discount!

On 6/29/2017 at 8:15 PM, DAVE(Darkcabbie) said:

What's the best comp or perk you have received from RC and why did you get it. Did they do something wrong or were you just lucky. 

5 of us were traveling with a diamond (27th cruise), and beginning with boarding we were a party to some benefits of her status.  She (retired travel agent) probably knew more about a few of the perks we got than we did.  Upon returning home, a perk that is still paying off is the brand and roast of the RCCL coffee that one of the RCCL staff members emailed to us ... whoever you are that selected that coffee to use on cruises, you have a fine set of taste buds. : )

Pops

Best perk we ever received was on the next to last day of a 9 day cruise, while checking my account, I noticed a $500 credit added to my account.  Went to the Customer Service desk and explained that it was in error.  The representative said it had been added by "night auditors" and she would have to check with them later that evening.  She said she would call when it got straightened out.

No call, so I went down next morning and talked to another representative.  He assured me that it was my $500 and was result of a drawing.  He insisted that we keep it. 

Royal moved our cabin about two weeks prior to sailing even though our reservation was marked "no upgrade" and no notice was given. I just happened to notice it when logged into the Cruise Planner. My TA worked at getting us moved back to a midship cabin and we received onboard credit as a result. We also had an issue with check-in where Royal claimed we owed money due to a "complimentary upgrade" that we didn't receive, and the C&A host comped our dinner at Chops as an apology since it took several days to resolve.

My husband, two adult-sized teen boys & myself were booked in a 4 person balcony room on Quantum.  We received a phone call one evening from our travel agent, saying they had received a call from RCCL offering to move us (at no additional charge) to two connecting balcony rooms.  Same deck, similar location on the ship, but two rooms instead of one.  Of course we accepted, and loved having plenty of space to move about!  I have to admit, I was a bit nervous about not knowing when they were coming back to the cabin at night, but that trip they didn't spend much time in the teen club as they had on the previous cruise, so wasn't toooooo nerve-wracking for me.  LOL 

I still use a hanging toiletry bag embroidered with Legend of the Seas received as a C&A gift back in 2005. Given that I'm still using it every time I travel, as recently as last week, if day this was the best perk ever given. They did try to upgraded us to a balcony from an ocean view for free, but my wife is all about location.