Survey Feedback for Anthem 4-night to Bermuda 6/22-6/26 2017

I thought you all might find this interesting, and I'd love your thoughts on the following. I sent this in to Royal per my survey after my cruise on Anthem to Bermuda:

a.) Although not a significant demographic, I would have preferred to see more activities geared toward solo cruisers. Since Anthem of the Seas has dedicated studio balcony rooms, there should be more than just a single lunch at the Bionic Bar to encourage solo cruisers to meet and mingle. 

b.) Cell phone reception at Cape Liberty was minimal to non-existant, so while waiting more than an hour to get on the ship, it would have been nice to have complimentary wireless internet available while in the terminal. 

c.) Except for dining in the Windjammer, whenever I had a waiter waiting on me, they would always interrogate me as to why I had food left on my plate when I was finished with my meal. I'd had stomach surgery, so I no longer have the option to eat the same amount as any normal person. I decided to this for the betterment of my life (I've lost over 115 lbs so far), so I chose to be happier and healthier rather than be able to stuff myself. Crew should be more sensitive to that, and if a passenger says they are finished do not ask again. It made for some very uncomfortable situations, especially with a server named Jerick in Silk, when he told me I could eat anything I wanted because "He has a big kitchen." - I've been a big person my entire life (weighing almost 400 lbs at my worst, I'm down to 231 now and am feeling so much better as a result.) - I've been able to experience things I never thought I could do (like rock climb, which I did on Majesty of the Seas), and ride the Flowrider and successfully be able to fit into the Scuba Gear for the Try Dive while on Anthem. I am used to people making comments, but I shouldn't have to deal with or hear things like that when I'm on a vacation. I'm just going to dinner to order what I want and enjoy it, not have to explain my situation to someone or listen to whatever their commentary is on how big the kitchen is. Statements like that are just unnecessary and inappropriate.  I know a big part of going on cruises is enjoying foods one may not be accustomed to eating, but food is not the only be-all/end-all part of a cruise experience that keeps me coming back, especially to Royal Caribbean.  It would be nice to see crew be more attentive to and respectful of people when they're done eating. Even if they take one bite of their food and say they're done, we've all paid the same price for our cruise an we should be able to eat as much, or as little as we choose. 

d.) The Anthem of the Seas is a beautiful ship, but it felt extremely overcrowded at times, especially in the Windjammer during lunch. The crew all did well with managing the large flows of people, but with the maximum occupancy being close to 5,000 (per Wikipedia), that's just far too much. The sailing I was on was sold out and the ship was at capacity, and it showed. The ship's top capacity should not exceed 4500, with 3800-3900 being the top end at double occupancy respectively. This would ease the flows of foot traffic getting around, ease the waiting time on elevators, make finding seats at shows just a bit easier, ultimately just making the overall cruise experience better for everyone onboard. 

I think it's perfect .....

Oh, and congratulations on your lifestyle change ...... I don't know if I would have the willpower to do what you have done, so for that, I tip my hat.

And you're right ..... you shouldn't have to explain yourself just because you didn't lick your plate clean .... that's inappropriate in any situation.

Mark

16 minutes ago, iamjohnbamber said:

d.) The Anthem of the Seas is a beautiful ship, but it felt extremely overcrowded at times, especially in the Windjammer during lunch. The crew all did well with managing the large flows of people, but with the maximum occupancy being close to 5,000 (per Wikipedia), that's just far too much. The sailing I was on was sold out and the ship was at capacity, and it showed. The ship's top capacity should not exceed 4500, with 3800-3900 being the top end at double occupancy respectively. This would ease the flows of foot traffic getting around, ease the waiting time on elevators, make finding seats at shows just a bit easier, ultimately just making the overall cruise experience better for everyone onboard. 

This is my hesitation with trying oasis or quantum class.   I love freedom,  and that didn't feel crowded,  even on sea days,  but i worry that i will feel packed in with everyone.   The bigger ships coat so much more that im afraid i will leave disappointed...im not sure i will appreciate the amazing stuff through the swarms of people.   Jane

I went on Oasis over Holy Week and it was sold out. I didn't feel overcrowded not one bit. There are a variety of places that are complimentary to eat, a good amount of activities and ONE of THE BEST Solariums at sea. I had a ball and don't regret it.  I also sailed on the Anthem and the only difference I felt was that the shape was built for "winter weather" rather than the norm. I felt more enclosed, but, nonetheless, Anthem is a beautiful ship with lots do do from bumper cars, trapeze classes, etc. I was all over her dragging my best friend like "white on rice"!!  I prefer heat and sun. In that sense, I would prefer more of an "open" ship. Hope this helps.

I was on the Anthem June 22 thru June 26th.  My wife noticed they were pushing food down our throats and bringing us entrees to try.  I think that has to do with them trying to show volume to justify staffing/salaries, etc.  I ate at the MDR at 5:30 each night and it was usually only 50 percent capacity.  So maybe they are trying to avoid being reduced to 2 MDRs and having the floor space changed to another jewelry shop.

I embraced my 270 pound weight (though I'm going to be working out the next few months to reduce) and found a fellow cruiser who shared my sentiments.  We were on the way to the International Men's Belly Flop Competition on Deck 15 when his wife took the following pic.  His name was Nick and we were comparing how our our tummies shook like a bowl full of jelly.  I told him "I actually HAD a bowl full of jelly for breakfast at the WindJammer!"

I didn't feel crowded at all.  Even the jogging course upstairs was fairly easy to maneuver (I went at 6 AM).

19424205_10155453178441489_9173944339919

1 hour ago, iamjohnbamber said:

b.) Cell phone reception at Cape Liberty was minimal to non-existant, so while waiting more than an hour to get on the ship, it would have been nice to have complimentary wireless internet available while in the terminal. 

I remember that issue too, and I agree with your suggestion.

2 hours ago, coneyraven said:

I think it's perfect .....

Oh, and congratulations on your lifestyle change ...... I don't know if I would have the willpower to do what you have done, so for that, I tip my hat.

And you're right ..... you shouldn't have to explain yourself just because you didn't lick your plate clean .... that's inappropriate in any situation.

Mark

Thanks Mark!

1 hour ago, BillHoo said:

I was on the Anthem June 22 thru June 26th.  My wife noticed they were pushing food down our throats and bringing us entrees to try.  I think that has to do with them trying to show volume to justify staffing/salaries, etc.  I ate at the MDR at 5:30 each night and it was usually only 50 percent capacity.  So maybe they are trying to avoid being reduced to 2 MDRs and having the floor space changed to another jewelry shop.

I embraced my 270 pound weight (though I'm going to be working out the next few months to reduce) and found a fellow cruiser who shared my sentiments.  We were on the way to the International Men's Belly Flop Competition on Deck 15 when his wife took the following pic.  His name was Nick and we were comparing how our our tummies shook like a bowl full of jelly.  I told him "I actually HAD a bowl full of jelly for breakfast at the WindJammer!"

I didn't feel crowded at all.  Even the jogging course upstairs was fairly easy to maneuver (I went at 6 AM).

19424205_10155453178441489_9173944339919

I remember seeing both of you around the ship. I know some people are more comfortable with embracing their "bowls full of jelly" but that's just not my thing. I can't wait to get rid of it. I'll settle for a pile of jelly on a plate rather than a whole bowl. I'd hate it all my life, and I'm happy to be changing it. 

John, this is probably a really STUPID question, but how did you submit that feedback ?  I have never found anywhere on the online feedback form that would allow you to slip in more than a couple of words.  Maybe I am just missing it.  All of the feedback emails that I get are all "fill in the dot" things with almost zero space to provide any REAL feedback.

11 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

John, this is probably a really STUPID question, but how did you submit that feedback ?  I have never found anywhere on the online feedback form that would allow you to slip in more than a couple of words.  Maybe I am just missing it.  All of the feedback emails that I get are all "fill in the dot" things with almost zero space to provide any REAL feedback.

At the end of the survey there was a box that asked for final comments and feedback, and I put it in there.