Upgrades

tmh

This is the first time my family and I will sail with RCC.  I have family who have traveled with RCC several times.  They've always seem to have good luck and upon arrival have been given free upgrades with their rooms--going from inside rooms to ocean view rooms.  Have any of you seen/experienced this and how likely is this to happen?  Has anyone experienced other pleasant surprises when checking in?

I've never had any surprise upgrades on Royal Caribbean.

I have, however, watched the pricing as the time got close to sailing and several times found that higher level categories had dropped in price to near or less than what I had paid for my lower category cabin, and was able to get a cheap or free upgrade as a result.

Typically upgrades are given to loyal guests who are part of Royal Caribbean's Crown & Anchor Society, their past guest program. Not always, but usually those who cruise the most and spend the most on accommodations get upgrades. It all depends on what category you booked, how much you paid, and what rooms are left over before the ship sets sail.

No upgrades on RCL(out of about 8-9 cruises), none on Carnival (out of 2) but batting .500 (1 out of 2) on Disney. Got upgraded from the interior room with the virtual porthole room that we wanted to a balcony room directly above the nightclub ..... yay ..... 10pm the music started and we floated out of our beds. By midnight Guest Services got tired of hearing from me and found us another cabin.

RCL recently sent me an email offering an upgrade to an ocean view for %50 off. I called them and they told me I had to go through my travel agent. Boo :(. After 5 days of waiting for my travel agent to get back to me I was told that for $35 a person I could get the new panoramic ocean view rooms on deck 12 of Navigator. An hour later my travel agent called me and said that I could only get a normal ocean view because the panoramic ocean view rooms were considered a "special" ocean view category and we're not part of the upgrade promotion. Long story but after talking to 10 people at RCL (the first 9 would not help because I booked with a travel agent) someone at RCL hooked me up and called my travel agent and changed my room to the panoramic ocean view room for only $70 when per the promotion it should have been $200.

I've been lucky once on RCI and got upgraded from an interior to an oceanview. We had already left port and I went to the desk and asked what was available and within a few mins, they handed me a new seapass card... Happened about 10 years ago and hasn't happened since.. Although I ask everytime I get on the ship...

RCL recently sent me an email offering an upgrade to an ocean view for %50 off. I called them and they told me I had to go through my travel agent. Boo :(. After 5 days of waiting for my travel agent to get back to me I was told that for $35 a person I could get the new panoramic ocean view rooms on deck 12 of Navigator. An hour later my travel agent called me and said that I could only get a normal ocean view because the panoramic ocean view rooms were considered a "special" ocean view category and we're not part of the upgrade promotion. Long story but after talking to 10 people at RCL (the first 9 would not help because I booked with a travel agent) someone at RCL hooked me up and called my travel agent and changed my room to the panoramic ocean view room for only $70 when per the promotion it should have been $200.

Reason 13 to not use travel agents!

Reason 13 to not use travel agents!

I'd argue that it's not a reason to use that travel agent. When you find a good one, s/he is worth her/his weight in gold. When I ended up in the hospital 12 hours before my flight to Disneyworld and our cruise, having only one person to call instead of the airlines, Disney, hotel, and the cruise line was a blessing.

Actually I disagree - about not to use agents - Many cruise lines HAL and Princess send the

offers for upgrades for my clients to me directly and then I call my clients the same day

IF RCCL sends to you, they know you booked with an agent - it kind of defeats the purpose

of them having you do the work-

but I have never taken 5 days to get back to a client in 22 years!