We did a hop on hop off tour by bus which was ok to get a nice overview. I'd recommend doing a boat trip on the canals - I think it took about 2 hours and was really impressive. Another highlight is the changing of the guards at Amalienborg or the Nyhavn canal with quite a few nice cafes - on our last visit there was also an Irish Pub (2016). You can also visit the Carlsberg brewery, they have a visitors centre, although I wasn't that impressed. I prefer the guinness brewery in Dublin.

• 2 weeks later...

We took the shuttle from the port to down town.  Then walked to the Rosenborg Castle.   This castle housed royalty and holds the country's crown jewels.  The crown jewels of Denmark were more impressive than the crown jewels in London, in our opinion.  It is in a large beautiful park and was well worth the trip.  if you need more info let me know.

We did a Segway tour and had a great time!  We also did the canal tour.  It was nice to have different perspectives of the city.  We did take the free shuttle to Carlsberg.  Carlsberg was nice but it did eat up a lot of time.  We did go to the top of the Church of our Savior-terrific views but it is a narrow, crowded climb.  We also checked out the Round Tower and views from Christianborg Palace.