Ship Temperature?

FManke

I know this is probably an objective question, but, what is the general temperature on board the ships, in the common areas? Is it what you would expect in a typical office or retail building? Does it depend on the location of the ship, like a warm or cool weather destination?

Guest toodle68

Probably depends on the ship.. When I was on Liberty the temp was great.. recently on Majesty the entire 6 deck was warm and many people complained. From what we were told, each area is controlled by some master unit or switch and the controls in the cabin just allow the temp to change by a degree or so. 

28 minutes ago, DocLC said:

In my experience, it tends to be cooler weather than warm, especially in the lounges and theater. I've always been fine, but my wife tends to bring some type of cover up in case she gets cold. 

Good point about the cover up. Last year on the Allure my wife caught quite a chill in the theater and was down for a coupe of days with a mid cold. The 8:30 show in the Allure theater is chilly, especially if your sitting over/near a floor vent. 

I found Freedom to be incredibly hot when we boarded in September. I think they are kinda like airplanes and run on some sort of auxiliary power when in port, and then run of the big engines when moving. Once we were underway, I don't think I was hot again. 

PS it was HOT in Orlando that day and I only noticed it in areas where there was an outside door nearby. There's only so much you can do....

This is a good question and actually I think it is a bit on the warmer side on purpose.  If you're out lying by the pool, or out on the decks watching the ocean, or walking around the track, or playing miniature golf or rock climbing,  you are probably a bit damp and dressed rather skimpily.  You don't want to walk into an ice box to run to your room for something, or to grab a soda or a snack from the Windjammer.  You are on a cruise, after all.  It is more "office temperature" on the Promenade deck and in the lounges and dining rooms where you are fully dressed.  I never remember feeling cold or hot, truthfully, and I always wear a sundress when I'm not in a bathing suit.

21 hours ago, toodle68 said:

Probably depends on the ship.. When I was on Liberty the temp was great.. recently on Majesty the entire 6 deck was warm and many people complained. From what we were told, each area is controlled by some master unit or switch and the controls in the cabin just allow the temp to change by a degree or so. 

Yep, the Liberty was great!  The skipper said about 99% of navigation was done by computer (local pilots bring ships in to port) ... I'd guess computers play a big part in ship comfort as well, but there's always the ice cream machines and the ice rink to fall back on, or a cup of Henry's. : )

pops

9 hours ago, cruise-y said:

This is a good question and actually I think it is a bit on the warmer side on purpose.  If you're out lying by the pool, or out on the decks watching the ocean, or walking around the track, or playing miniature golf or rock climbing,  you are probably a bit damp and dressed rather skimpily.  You don't want to walk into an ice box to run to your room for something, or to grab a soda or a snack from the Windjammer.  You are on a cruise, after all.  It is more "office temperature" on the Promenade deck and in the lounges and dining rooms where you are fully dressed.  I never remember feeling cold or hot, truthfully, and I always wear a sundress when I'm not in a bathing suit.

I agree...im always cold in air conditioning so i would always bring a light sweater with me to dinner and the shows.  I found i hardly ever used it though....and i repeat,  i can freeze on 80 degree days!  I would say that it is warmer in the whole than your average Florida restaurant or movie theater.   Jane

We will have jackets with us, since it will be Oct in New England/Canada. I was asking more just in general for shirt types for myself as I am always hot. I guess mostly polos and throw in a light sweater, just in case. Although we are expecting it to be fairly cool, I've heard from some, it can actual be anywhere from cold to very warm that time of year. I guess a last minute check of the weather will be a must, before packing.

11 hours ago, FManke said:

We will have jackets with us, since it will be Oct in New England/Canada. I was asking more just in general for shirt types for myself as I am always hot. I guess mostly polos and throw in a light sweater, just in case. Although we are expecting it to be fairly cool, I've heard from some, it can actual be anywhere from cold to very warm that time of year. I guess a last minute check of the weather will be a must, before packing.

Well yes, I was speaking of Caribbean cruises.  If you are in New England, it will be different of course.