Off topic river cruise question

I have kind of a random question.   I booked our flights for spring break freedom 2017 and after gulping, realized that for about 300 more per ticket,  we could have traveled to europe.   So instead of cuba, i am thinking about Europe summer 2019.  My husband and i have a hard time agreeing on this trip...i love cities and museums and he loves vistas and countrysides.  We were thinking a river cruise would satisfy both (although im not totally ruling out a rc cruise...i will see how he does on his 2nd cruise in march).  Does anyone have an opinion on river cruise lines they have had good luck with)?  Im thinking something that starts or ends in paris.  If we do a big rc cruise im thinking italy or Greece.   Thanks!   Jane

Guest toodle68

Search and watch several of the Dream Cruise episodes. There are several on river cruises in Europe including one around Paris. In all the episodes, I don't think I ever saw children. Mainly a much older crowd.  

2 hours ago, FManke said:

From everything that I've seen, it seems like the river cruises are really directed towards adults. I think kids would be really bored on one. But that's just my uneducated opinion.

For the most part, they are. Ama Waterways is more accommodating and whom Adventures by Disney uses for their river cruises. Unfortunately, the ships are designed for double occupancy, so you need to get a second cabin for the kids or share the single bed if there's only one and he or she is under 12. My 10 year old is just over 5 feet tall and 100 pounds, so this isn't something I'm wanting to do as it would get very crowded and become very uncomfortable. In addition, my son is a huge fan of the kids activities onboard, so he'd likely get bored as you suggest. 

This would be adult only...we'd be leaving the kids at home.  So no worries about bored kids or double occupancy.  I will definitely look at some of the podcasts and dream cruise episodes.   If anyone had been on one,  is it worth getting the veranda vs french balcony (or is this a too subjective question like balconies on rc?) Jane

1 hour ago, mom2mybugs said:

This would be adult only...we'd be leaving the kids at home.  So no worries about bored kids or double occupancy.  I will definitely look at some of the podcasts and dream cruise episodes.   If anyone had been on one,  is it worth getting the veranda vs french balcony (or is this a too subjective question like balconies on rc?) Jane

In that case, my father in law has been on a few and has spoke highly of Viking River Cruises, for what it's worth.

Viking is the Carnival Cruise Line (in size, not quality) of river cruise companies. In my research, I've been leaning toward Ama Waterways. They have an included Chef's Table among other things and seem to be including a few extras. 

I don't think a verandah is worth it especially if you have a lot of port stops. In addition, when you dock, you can be tied up with other ships, so you won't be able to have privacy anyways. 

26 minutes ago, DocLC said:

Viking is the Carnival Cruise Line (in size, not quality) of river cruise companies. In my research, I've been leaning toward Ama Waterways. They have an included Chef's Table among other things and seem to be including a few extras. 

I don't think a verandah is worth it especially if you have a lot of port stops. In addition, when you dock, you can be tied up with other ships, so you won't be able to have privacy anyways. 

The veranda thing is very good to know...i will save the 800...that pays one of the airfares!   Ama is more expensive,  but has a very interesting wine cruise when we want to go.  It also seems to have a lot more tour options included...since some are more active,  im wondering if we won't be the only people on board under 50!  It may come down to a slight difference in cost and the extension paris trip...whether we can do it pre or posy.   Thanks for the help!   Jane

Good morning,

i have only only been on one river boat cruise, which was a Tulip Time cruise with AMA. it was wonderful. I took my Mom. We had one of the split balcony cabins on the level between the highest price cabins and the lower priced cabin. We hardly used the balcony. It was chilly. Additionally  most of the time we were on tour oo tied up next to another ship or on an upper deck in one of the viewing areas. AMA did a great job. 

I really want to go on Duoro river cruise in Portugal or rent a boat to go on the small canals in England or France.

there weren't any kids on the cruise we were on, but lots of mothers and daughters.

have fun picking one.

Guest toodle68
1 hour ago, BeatArmy2010 said:

or rent a boat to go on the small canals in England or France.

I did this in Norfolk (England) many, many year ago. It was amazing. Tying up next to a pub each evening and sitting by the river. One of the best vacations ever.  The only downside was having to moor early afternoon because all the spaces filled up near the pub.. and of course learning to pull into a small space and take the current into account. 

I have been on 4 river cruises - 3 Viking and 1 scenic. We enjoyed all the cruises. Scenic had two special dinners, one was for people staying on the third floor which was like a Chef's table and the other is a dinner serving the local flavor in our case it was French.

Both can include air and transfers and one tour a day. Viking had some optional tours in the evening for a reasonable price. Scenic is truly all inclusive, Viking you pay for drinks outside of lunch and dinner. If you are doing Paris, Viking is not the line to use since their ships are too large to dock in Paris. Our May cruise was on Scenic and dock within walking distance of the Eiffel Tower. There were no children under 18 on either line.

The service you get is similar to the suite experience on a RCCL cruise. The linens and towel are high end and cabin service is quick and discreet.  River Cruise ship Cabins are tiny compared to Ocean Cruises. Getting a balcony is nice but often times river cruise ships are rafting  meaning you are inches away from another  ship making the balcony unusable. Sometimes the Veranda's include perks such as free or low cost airfare so you need to figure out what is important to you.

That being said, we enjoyed Scenic, we won the cruise so we were spoiled, I do not think it would be worth double  the cost compared to Viking. If I went on another Seine Cruise, I would not do Viking since they do not go to Paris. I would look at Scenic, AMA, Avalon, Vantage , Emerald ( the sister lower cost line of Scenic)all who were able to do the whole river and then choose the one with lower price.

17 hours ago, alexk said:

I have been on 4 river cruises - 3 Viking and 1 scenic. We enjoyed all the cruises. Scenic had two special dinners, one was for people staying on the third floor which was like a Chef's table and the other is a dinner serving the local flavor in our case it was French.

Both can include air and transfers and one tour a day. Viking had some optional tours in the evening for a reasonable price. Scenic is truly all inclusive, Viking you pay for drinks outside of lunch and dinner. If you are doing Paris, Viking is not the line to use since their ships are too large to dock in Paris. Our May cruise was on Scenic and dock within walking distance of the Eiffel Tower. There were no children under 18 on either line.

The service you get is similar to the suite experience on a RCCL cruise. The linens and towel are high end and cabin service is quick and discreet.  River Cruise ship Cabins are tiny compared to Ocean Cruises. Getting a balcony is nice but often times river cruise ships are rafting  meaning you are inches away from another  ship making the balcony unusable. Sometimes the Veranda's include perks such as free or low cost airfare so you need to figure out what is important to you.

That being said, we enjoyed Scenic, we won the cruise so we were spoiled, I do not think it would be worth double  the cost compared to Viking. If I went on another Seine Cruise, I would not do Viking since they do not go to Paris. I would look at Scenic, AMA, Avalon, Vantage , Emerald ( the sister lower cost line of Scenic)all who were able to do the whole river and then choose the one with lower price.

You are a wealth of knowledge!   Viking does do the paris pre cruise add-on, and stays near paris the first 2 days.   I want to be cost conscious....this is a ton of money...but not too cheap since this may be our only trip like this (though who knows...i said that about rc cruising lol).  I think the extra drink cost won't play a huge factor,  since it seems like i will drink less than on a caribbean cruise,  but does anyone know how much wine and drinks cost per glad on any of these lines?   Just curious! 

You have all persuaded need that french balcony worth it, veranda not at all!   

Thank you everyone for all your help...i feat that river cruising could become a third obsession to compete with disney and rc cruising!   Jane

Good news Wine, beer, and soda is free flowing at dinner and lunch on Viking. While the pre cruise package is pricey, we felt it was a good value since it included transfers and tours and good hotels plus the move your bags such.

The one bad thing about Viking they require payment is full 30 days after booking, so it you book a 2018 cruise you have to pay in full now.  We never purchased a mix drink but I think the price is reasonable. We went the last week in May and it was hot and crowded already, going in the Spring or Fall you will have a cheaper rate and less crowds. We loved Paris and the whole trip on the Seine. 

I am going to listen to the link, thanks for posting it.

14 hours ago, DocLC said:

@mom2mybugs You can bring your own wine onboard, so that's one option to consider. 

Check out this discussion of Viking River Cruises: 

Ok...that was the most amazing 2 episodes.   I loved their shows and want to watch more.   These were incredible at showing the pluses and minuses,  and in fact did the same ship and cruise we are looking at,  including the 3 day pretour.  Gotta say that i may have to do a day at disney!  Thank you so much...these and the river cruise podcasts have been so much fun to listen to!   Jane

Just now, mom2mybugs said:

Ok...that was the most amazing 2 episodes.   I loved their shows and want to watch more.   These were incredible at showing the pluses and minuses,  and in fact did the same ship and cruise we are looking at,  including the 3 day pretour.  Gotta say that i may have to do a day at disney!  Thank you so much...these and the river cruise podcasts have been so much fun to listen to!   Jane

I'll be there in a couple of weeks as I leave tomorrow for a British Isles cruise. I'll let you know how the two parks are!