What board games would you bring on a cruise?

Just read the live blog from @Scatmanjack about his family's cruise on Independence, and was intrigued by his coverage of the game room and how his family brought along some board games for family time. Made me wonder, as we're doing the cruise nerd signs / "it's been too long" signs thing. I mean, there are rainy days from time to time that keep everyone indoors. So...

What board games would you bring / have you brought on a cruise?

If nothing else, it'll give everyone a little more insight into the folks on these boards. ?

So I'll start off, with the games I think I'd bring for our upcoming family cruise on Freedom:

• Carcassonne
  • Settlers of Catan
  • Apples to Apples (maybe, looks like this might be a standard on the ships)
  • Cards Against Humanity (more my older daughter on this one, in case she meets any like-minded teens on board)

Apart from that, if Freedom has Cribbage in their game room I'd be happy to play some other passengers. ?

I've been on 25 cruises and have somehow survived and have passed the time without taking board games. I did play backgammon once on the Monarch of the Seas, though. 

I'd likely load then on a tablet to save weight if I we're going to and would stick to classics like Life, Monopoly, and Battleship. 

13 hours ago, rjac said:

Board games? Why bring a board game when you can have a drink package?

Board games and drinking go along perfectly.  

In my younger days we would play drinking games with people we met.  

On the Harmony TA I brought along my CAH and that was fun!

I would probably not bring and trye "board" games as I wouldn't want to transport them.  I think my whole family likes "Flux" so I would probably bring it.  Since a large emphasis on this trip is relaxing with my wife on our bacony I might bring along cribbage and Backgammon.  JLMoran, I have never played Settlers of Catan but suspect I should try it sometime

13 minutes ago, FManke said:

That goes well with drinking!

15 minutes ago, FManke said:

My wife once told me when she was a kid, they used to have a board game called The Plot to Assassinate Hitler! That sounds like a fun family game.:10_wink:

There's a computer game called The Ship where you have to kill another passenger without getting caught and also avoiding getting killed yourself. 

On 6/23/2017 at 9:49 AM, DocLC said:

Just read the Rubicon article, and if it really is $9 per person, that's not bad at all.  Rooms on land range from $20-$50 per person for an hour.

• 2 years later...

Why, Bruise Cruise of course!  https://bruisecruisegame.com.

It's set in the Caribbean and teaches you lots of facts about various port cities while still being a very fun, mostly casual board game. You cruise around the Caribbean docking at your destinations while avoiding missiles and torpedoes. (It's set in 2042, after the world has gone mad.)

My wife and I bring a small travel Scrabble set.  We like to sit and play while we people watch.  It also helps for layovers when flying to/from the port.  

We just got off Vision and there were some games in with the books (no "proper" library on her).  On each day, there were a couple hours set aside for "Informal Cards and Games" in the Portside Dining Room.  Also had Family Wii Sports in the Schooner Lounge each day.

There are a couple card games we have that we really enjoy playing as a family: "Five Crowns" and "Wacky Six". (both are variations of games you can play with standard decks.) 

We like them because they don't take up much room, and they're quick to teach to new players (unlike Settlers or many other board games).

These are best for adults or teens. 

flamtap

On my NYE cruise, with my aunt and cousin... we will also have a 5 yr old with us... 4 adults and a 5 yr old... and all of us are big time game nuts... we always have games at our NYE parties and other holidays and so we had planned on bringning UNO and a couple other games... but we thought we would be the only ones... pleasantly suprised that others do too! ?

On Holland America they had Rummiekube and we played that some.  We will pack a couple of decks of cards but we like to play trivia on the ship so we keep busy doing that along with trying to do everything else. We never get bored!  I love to read too so I load a book on my Nook and take it for quiet times.