Bringing food to the room from WJ or MDR

BillHoo

I've heard of people bringing breakfast back for spouse or family in the room, but wondered, how this is done.

Do they have "To Go" containers?  Trays with covers?

I do worry, my Mom might just say she's not feeling well (seasick) and stay in the room the whole time and I might have to bring her food (picky eater too!).

Ive always just carried a tray with food items on it or even simply a plate.   I don't think I've ever seen a to go box except at a specialty restaurant when i brought back some of my steak and dessert for a midnight snack.   Im sure if they exist though, someone here will know.  Jane

I haven't seen to go containers or trays, either. I do as @Matt says and just put a platter over the top. If you take something from one of the sit down restaurants, they usually place a warmer over the plate. I've also read of people bringing their own trays. Whatever you do, don't forget the silverware. 

When you say you cover with a "plate" as in coming from Sorrentos.  Is that a paper plate?  Or something heavier?

I figure paper plates on a ship could be a bad thing as people are slobs and next thing you know paper plates and cups are being blown all over the deck and onto balconies!

Napkins too!

I saw a passenger fill a plate, then talk to a waiter and then the waiter left and came back with one of those plate covers/warmers like they use in the MDR, the passenger covered his food and then left, mostly I've seen other plates and napkins.

1 hour ago, BillHoo said:

When you say you cover with a "plate" as in coming from Sorrentos.  Is that a paper plate?  Or something heavier?

I figure paper plates on a ship could be a bad thing as people are slobs and next thing you know paper plates and cups are being blown all over the deck and onto balconies!

Napkins too!

The type of plate doesn't matter, there are a lot of slobs onboard who will just drop whatever, where ever. 

3 hours ago, arebee said:

The type of plate doesn't matter, there are a lot of slobs onboard who will just drop whatever, where ever. 

True for sure,  though sometimes i have glasses, etc, that I don't know where to leave.   I usually try to have it  "join a friend" so at least the wait staff can try to take more in one trip.   Jane

2 hours ago, mom2mybugs said:

True for sure,  though sometimes i have glasses, etc, that I don't know where to leave.   I usually try to have it  "join a friend" so at least the wait staff can try to take more in one trip.   Jane

For glasses, I usually leave it in the room or take it to a bar. But I've been known to pick up stuff that others have left.

Don't plan on doing this for a meal...its not convenient at all.

At the end of the night after a few drinks you may not care and the ship is not as busy and a cpl cold pieces of pizza is what it is.

But trying to bring a breakfast tray of food back to the room would be a nightmare imho with the crowds and the waits at elevators etc...food cold, trying not to spill liquids.....good luck.

I don't know what the "free" room service for breakfast is like now (as they decided to charge for all room service recently) but I would recommend that option.

7 hours ago, monctonguy said:

I don't know what the "free" room service for breakfast is like now (as they decided to charge for all room service recently) but I would recommend that option.

Was recently on Adventure. The free room service continental breakfast was not bad at all--hot and cold cereals, fruit, bagels, juices, coffee, tea milk, etc. Just know that the croissants and muffins are minuscule-muffins are literally the diameter of a quarter and croissants about 2 inches long. If that is what you want, order several. There is an order form in the cabin to fill out and leave on your door until 3AM.  You can tell them what time to come. They will call you when they are on the way.

2 hours ago, Skid said:

Just know that the croissants and muffins are minuscule-muffins are literally the diameter of a quarter and croissants about 2 inches long. If that is what you want, order several.

I think the same kind of thing was mentioned in a previous thread about coffee and coffee condiments from room service. If you like a large cup of coffee or a lot of cream and or sugar, make sure you ask for extra.

On ‎6‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 7:16 AM, coneyraven said:

Classic ..... I truly believe I dance like him late at night up in the VCL.  Oh, and don't forget, "Vote For Pedro"

I actually heard the movie about 8 times before I actually saw it for the first time. We had it on dvd and my sons watched it to and from a family vacation to upper Michigan. I got to listen from the drivers seat.:1_grinning:

• 2 months later...

We tried bringing food back to the room on trays once and it was a huge pain.  After waiting a long time for the elevators, being crammed in elevators packed with people, we didn't even want our food when we got back to the room.  We would rather pay the small fee and get room service if we really want to stay in the room.

12 hours ago, dkirksmith said:

We tried bringing food back to the room on trays once and it was a huge pain.  After waiting a long time for the elevators, being crammed in elevators packed with people, we didn't even want our food when we got back to the room.  We would rather pay the small fee and get room service if we really want to stay in the room.

When I have sailed in the past (Carnival)  I usually book Lido deck rooms, so they are on the same level as the buffet.  That way when I get up for my morning walk at 5, I can go walk a few laps onboard, and later on, stop at the buffet and make a coffee or tea for my wife, and a plate of assorted breakfast pastries to bring to her at a more "reasonable" 7 :)  we usually end up eating a real breakfast around 8.

3 minutes ago, guittech said:

When I have sailed in the past (Carnival)  I usually book Lido deck rooms, so they are on the same level as the buffet.  That way when I get up for my morning walk at 5, I can go walk a few laps onboard, and later on, stop at the buffet and make a coffee or tea for my wife, and a plate of assorted breakfast pastries to bring to her at a more "reasonable" 7 :)  we usually end up eating a real breakfast around 8.

That being said, I am on deck nine forward on the upcoming Anthem of the seas cruise, so  carrying a plate of pastries will involve 5 decks and opposite ends of the ship....  I wonder what time the Solarium Bistro opens...:D

On 9/20/2017 at 4:53 PM, FManke said:

I'm guessing it won't be hot by the time you arrive.

I wouldn't go that far.  

Sure, it's not as convenient to bring food back to your room compared to eating it on the spot, but no way your walk back is more than 5 minutes.  That's short enough for food to remain at an ideal serving temperature (unless of course you like your soups scalding hot or meats sizzling).

25 minutes ago, Matt said:

I wouldn't go that far.  

Sure, it's not as convenient to bring food back to your room compared to eating it on the spot, but no way your walk back is more than 5 minutes.  That's short enough for food to remain at an ideal serving temperature (unless of course you like your soups scalding hot or meats sizzling).

I'm basing my comment on me. I walk slow. :10_wink:

15 hours ago, TinyTim said:

I only ever took afternoon snacks (cookies) to my room, but then I’ve never been in a situation where DW felt like she had to stay in the room. I will, however, probably bring my travel mug for my morning coffee when we take the Rhapsody in December.

We always take our Disney travel mugs for my husband to grab coffee!   I'm not a morning person and room service seems silly to order for just coffee.   I usually get him to bring a donut or something else back. 

I haven't brought a lot of good back to the room (I still think eating dinner on the balcony would be nice though)  but i do take food to my deck chair.   I spend most of the sea days on my sun deck by the sky bar and I don't want to be a chair hog gone for an hour.   It is easy to fill a plate at the wind jammer, put a cover on it and walk it back.   It does stay hot enough (but again... travel mug helps for not spilling the coffee! ) Jane

On 9/30/2017 at 10:32 AM, mom2mybugs said:

I'm not a morning person and room service seems silly to order for just coffee.  

For the most part I agree. The only time I really ordered room service for coffee was when we were on the Radiance sailing the inside passage. It was great to sit on the balcony and sip my coffee watching the scenery go by. 

IMHO if you're going to Alaska the Radiance class ships are the best way to go. Views everywhere on the ship.

On 9/30/2017 at 10:32 AM, mom2mybugs said:

I'm not a morning person and room service seems silly to order for just coffee.   I usually get him to bring a donut or something else back. 

Ahhh, but to have room service deliver fresh coffee and croissants/rolls first thing in the morning (you decide when) and then enjoy them on your balcony on  cruise days in your pj's.....nothing better.:27_sunglasses: