Cruise report from a newbie - Oasis June 4

First of all, I want to thank everyone on here with their experiences and observations, Also want to thank Matt and his podcast and blog...I can't tell you how many times those bits of advice helped us!

Miscellaneous notes in no order :-)

We had read that it's best to go up to upper decks on embarkation day...absolutely true! It wasn't near as crowded and it let us explore the ship from front to back on the 15-17 deck level.

We did Sabor and Solarium for our specialty dining...Solarium was amazing...it was quiet and the view was incredible...also, we were up there for lobster night...it was the most amazing culinary event in my life! Our waiter was Roel and he was the best waiter we've had ever...hate to make it sound like it was the best thing since sliced bread...but it really was! Sabor was very good too...the guacamole was awesome and the quesadillas were great! Both were not too expensive and in my opinion, well worth the extra cost!

The rest of the time we did main dining room...the waiter we had there was awesome too...the food was very good, not quite great but close! Well, the desserts were great :-)

We had breakfast at Johnny Rockets one day...it was "ok"...when we were there they didn't have much of a selection of tea...the food was also just "ok"...the rest of the time we went to MDR or Windjammer...both were very good...wife wasn't crazy about a buffet but there were several things there that were great...I think the thing about the Windjammer is that there is a lot of "ok" food but some of it really is outstanding!

Our room was a Boardwalk balcony and it was pretty good...we were at 12307...no complaints...it wasn't loud late at night and i thought it might be...our other room (it was me, wife and 1 daughter(14) in one room and our other 2 daughters (23 and 14) in the other)...was inside stateroom  (14273) and it definitely worked for 2 people...our room attendant was great, however the room attendant for the other room was just "ok"...

On Labadee we went to Columbus cove early(another tip from everyone on here) and it was great advice! It wasn't crowded when we got a great spot on the beach. 2 daughters went on the zip line and it was a lot of fun for them!  The tram person didn't say where to get off for whatever venue you were going to...so if you knew, it was ok, if you didn't know, it would be difficult...another daughter did the volleyball games and everyone there was there for good competitive fun...it wasn't ultra competitive but you got to play hard! Beach and water was great...not too rocky as I'd read there were rocky spots...the local vendors there were a bit too aggressive...i get it, they gotta make a living, but I think RC could make it a better experience (and more profitable for them) if they could manage that a little better..

On Jamaica, this might have been the best..we got an all day pass at Hilton Rose Hall(not thru RC)...we got on the bus (there were only about 12 of us) and rode the 20 minutes to Montego Bay...we got a cabana and there was someone there that waited on us ALL DAY..."do you want some Red Stripe?"..."would you like some food?"...it was a great, relaxing day...the lazy river, the swim up bar and the incredibly nice people of Jamaica...

For Cozumel, we had no excursions...which was ok...we wanted to shop some and then get back on the boat early...so we did! If you have Verizon, don't count on getting service...we couldn't get service all day...but that was ok...

We got the Voom with the drink package...which was great! We could all get on the internet at various times as it's for one device at a time...not just ONE device...worked well for our family of 5...the drink package worked for me :-)...early in the trip i would go to a bar and get a bud light unopened and put it back in the small fridge in our room...i found the fridge holds about 13 beers...so at the end of the night, i'd sit and have a couple beers while watching the channel for 'bridge view'...

Cafe Promenade was great...loved the sandwiches and brownies...and the coffee...get a cafe select card for 31 bucks...that's a great buy!

Sorrentos pizza is really, really good! Especially late at night! :-)

The shows were all great...Cats needs to be replaced as that show just doesn't 'ring the bell' like other shows do...performers were top shelf though...Someone posted earlier about the Coke machines not being available or in a working state...gotta agree there...but it was ok as we just stopped at Sorrentos, Cafe Promenade or a bar for a coke...we had 2 coke packages included in one of our rooms...

Lastly, we booked another cruise for next year...same time, last week of May...this time aboard the Allure!

Great review, and very useful feedback about the rooms and dining!

I'm confused about one thing. Maybe this just unique to Oasis class, but I thought the Solarium section on all ships included a complimentary dining area, not a specialty dining venue? Would swear I remember reading that somewhere here on the site, and it was mentioned frequently as a good alternative to the Windjammer when it got crowded, and that it offered a selection of "healthier" choices like salads and sandwiches.

3 hours ago, JLMoran said:

Great review, and very useful feedback about the rooms and dining!

I'm confused about one thing. Maybe this just unique to Oasis class, but I thought the Solarium section on all ships included a complimentary dining area, not a specialty dining venue? Would swear I remember reading that somewhere here on the site, and it was mentioned frequently as a good alternative to the Windjammer when it got crowded, and that it offered a selection of "healthier" choices like salads and sandwiches.

I don't know if it applies to the Oasis class but on the Oasis breakfast and lunch are complimentary...supper is specialty.  It is a great alternative to MDR or Windjammer as it's smaller and quieter...love the views too!

We didn't go to the Solarium for breakfast or lunch...one of the MANY things we didn't do...however, everyone said you won't get to do everything...hopefully we will do it on the Allure in May of 2018!

On 21/06/2017 at 10:30 PM, JLMoran said:

I've sailed on four different Royal Caribbean ships and never seen a dining area in the Solarium; maybe it is Oasis and Quantum cladd

3 minutes ago, Sarah said:

I've sailed on four different Royal Caribbean ships and never seen a dining area in the Solarium; maybe it is Oasis and Quantum cladd

I can speak for Grandeur (and probably most, if not all, Vision Class ships) --- The Park Cafe is located in the solarium and has tables/chairs to enjoy your meals.

22 minutes ago, coneyraven said:

I can speak for Grandeur (and probably most, if not all, Vision Class ships) --- The Park Cafe is located in the solarium and has tables/chairs to enjoy your meals.

I also believe Radiance class has Park Cafe - at least, I know Brilliance does - in the Solarium.

OK, so it's the Park Cafe that I was thinking of. Solarium Bistro is clearly its replacement on the Oasis class and Quantum class -- I checked Anthem and saw it also has the Solarium Bistro, so I may check that out with my wife one night on our Bermuda cruise that we don't decide to have dinner in Coastal Kitchen. ;)

On the Oasis class ships it is buffet style during lunch, which was where I had my lunch on sea days because I was sitting in the Solarium. I knew it was open at night for dinner but I never ate there. I believe it is open on embarkation day as an alternative to WJ. I thought the food was always very good. On the Oasis class ships there is seating inside and outside so you don't have to move far from where you are lounging...

23 minutes ago, JLMoran said:

OK, so it's the Park Cafe that I was thinking of. Solarium Bistro is clearly its replacement on the Oasis class and Quantum class -- I checked Anthem and saw it also has the Solarium Bistro, so I may check that out with my wife one night on our Bermuda cruise that we don't decide to have dinner in Coastal Kitchen. ;)

The Oasis class still have a Park Cafe, it is on deck 8 in Central Park, last year on Harmony we ate breakfast at Park Cafe every morning because our room was on deck 8, it was really convenient if for nothing else to grab a coffee or glass of juice.

On the floor plan for the Allure it shows Solarium Bistro/Samba Grill, on Harmony it shows only Solarium Bistro. I did not check the other Oasis class ships.

Agree on many points (we just sailed Oasis 6/11). Solarium Bistro was great (did breakfast & specialty dinner).

Labadee local merchants in the village are too agressive (not in a mean way, just very uncomfortable). We were swarmed by 4 guys at the first hut and decided to bypass the strip altogether. 

Johnny Rockets did not impress us at all either. Dropped in around 8:30pm. Terrible service, most of the diners were actually RCCL staff (not sure why). Settled for overpriced milkshakes, and we were underwhelmed. You do better to grab a blue cup from Wipeout Cafe and hit the free ice cream machines. That was great. Wipeout Cafe was great quick breakfast option too.