Full costs

poider

G'day again,

I think I have been over this before but I am a little unclear and cannot find all info.

I have looked at some photos of menus and see the drinks prices etc

If the menu says (for Example)  a martini is $12.00 is that the full price, I have heard that the tips are added.

are the prices written on the menu inclusive of tips?

scenario 1, I look at the menu and see martini $12, I order a $12 martini  and get charged $12

scenario 2, I look at the menu and see martini $12, I order a $12 martini and get charged $13.80

scenario 3, I look at the menu and see martini $12 + 15% tip I order and pay $13.80

scenario 4, I look at the menu and see martini $13.80 inclusive of 15% gratuity and I pay $13.80

scenario 5, I look at the menu and see martini $12, I order a $12 martini and pay $12, then at the end of the cruise I get a bill for all of the tips that are yet to be added to my account?

how transparent are the tips that are included / automatically on bar prices?

if a martini is $12 does that mean before automatic tips it would have been $10.44 + 15% = $12.00

Peter

scenario 2, I look at the menu and see martini $12, I order a $12 martini and get charged $13.80

That one. The menus list the base price w/out tip.  The receipt you have to sign will have the drink, a line item for the tip, and another line for an additional tip if you are so inclined to add more.

Enjoy your martini. :)

That one. The menus list the base price w/out tip.  The receipt you have to sign will have the drink, a line item for the tip, and another line for an additional tip if you are so inclined to add more.

I'm not sure if this is true on European sailings. I was under the impression that the bar prices were higher, at least for sailings out of Southampton, and no extra gratuity was charged. (Essentially, the prices were raised to factor in a hidden gratuity.)

Edited to add... You are right for most sailings, however. I just wanted to add an exception that I believe may exist.

I'm not sure if this is true on European sailings. I was under the impression that the bar prices were higher, at least for sailings out of Southampton, and no extra gratuity was charged. (Essentially, the prices were raised to factor in a hidden gratuity.)

Edited to add... You are right for most sailings, however. I just wanted to add an exception that I believe may exist.

I think you may be correct. I've been reading a lot of reviews for European sailings on RCI and one of the complaints is the high price of drinks at the bars. I think they may preload the service fee into the cost of the drink instead of adding on afterwards.

• 5 months later...

Well having been on our cruise I must say it was not at all what i was worried about, we prepaid for a drinks package about mid price and it is all handled very well by the bar people and waiters etc.

There is a sticker placed on your sea card and all you do is present your sea card to the bar people waiters etc and tell them what you want, they will tell you before they get the drink wether or not you will need to pay any more, so you can just choose a cheaper drink, but we bought the premium package and I was never told that My drinks were not covered.

Peter

The only exception I found to this, poider, was at the juice bar on the Jewel. They did not inform me that it wasn't included, which was surprising as they were on Celebrity. While fresh squeezed juice is included, it's only that found in the Windjammer.

Overall, I was disappointed by the package compared to the similar one offered on Celebrity for the same price. On Celebrity, they gave you large bottles of water, whole cans of soda (unopened if you wished), and the juice bar venue, along with yogurt sundaes, was included.