chilling by the pool on Formal nights

9 minutes ago, glizotte said:

Sailing Liberty July 9th from Galveston with wife and two 16 year old's.  I'm wondering if pool and pool bar are open on formal nights?  Thinking we will skip one and just chill.  We have a 5 night dinner package and I would like to skip a formal night.

Formal night only applies to the Main Dining Room, so everywhere else on the ship would be open business as usual. I'd think the pool would probably be less crowded on formal night...  

14 minutes ago, glizotte said:

Learn something new every day!  Dinner Jacket and slacks for men in specialty dining is ok on formal nights then.  that makes life easier.

Actually, dinner jacket and slacks on formal night in the main dining room will probably mean you're dressed better than most.  These days, truly formal nights only exist on the more expensive cruise lines.  Many of RCI's customers follow the "I'm on vacation, why would I pack a jacket?" line of thought.

1 hour ago, glizotte said:

Learn something new every day!  Dinner Jacket and slacks for men in specialty dining is ok on formal nights then.  that makes life easier.

If you read all the posts here regarding this subject, most would say that you can get away with a collared shirt and Dockers for dinner any night including Formal night. From what I've read, this would almost be "formal dress" on most nights in the MDR.

5 hours ago, FManke said:

If you read all the posts here regarding this subject, most would say that you can get away with a collared shirt and Dockers for dinner any night including Formal night. From what I've read, this would almost be "formal dress" on most nights in the MDR.

FManke is right on.  Collared shirts and Dockers are definitely OK for formal nights on RCCL

38 minutes ago, MikeK said:

Just got off the Oasis last Sunday.  Every night there were a large number of diners in shorts and some were even wearing flip flops.  So it seems anything goes in the MDR.

It seems like the dress code enforcement in the MDR is really hit or miss. Correct me if I'm wrong but it seems like the only place dress code really matters these days is in the specialty restaurants. 

52 minutes ago, iamjohnbamber said:

It seems like the dress code enforcement in the MDR is really hit or miss. Correct me if I'm wrong but it seems like the only place dress code really matters these days is in the specialty restaurants. 

Dress codes, in general, are rarely enforced these days. 

1 hour ago, Matt said:

Dress codes, in general, are rarely enforced these days. 

Just curious about this. Do you feel that the time of the year and itinerary has anything to do with the lack of adherence to the dress code?

For instance, do you find people are more likely to dress down so to speak on a warm weather cruise, opposed to say a European or Canadian cruise? I know shorts come in to play more obviously, with a warm weather cruise.

44 minutes ago, FManke said:

Just curious about this. Do you feel that the time of the year and itinerary has anything to do with the lack of adherence to the dress code?

No, across my sailings, I have seen plenty of folks wearing all sorts of clothing to the MDR for dinner. 

4 minutes ago, JBC said:

I have seen people turned away from the MDR wearing shorts on formal nights, but not on regular dining nights.

Interesting.  My father in law was turned away from breakfast in MDR for wearing a tank top once.

1 minute ago, Matt said:

No, across my sailings, I have seen plenty of folks wearing all sorts of clothing to the MDR for dinner. 

Interesting.  My father in law was turned away from breakfast in MDR for wearing a tank top once.

Sounds like it's really hit or miss. I would never dress like that, not because I have something against it or people who do. I would just be too embarrassed to be turned away. I would not want to risk it. But, that's just me.

I do think itinerary matters. European cruises tend to have more formally dressed people, but the enforcement of the dress code is about the same as in the Caribbean. I think it had a lot to do with luggage restrictions and not wanting to dress like one might have to for work. 

I was pleasantly surprised on the cruise out of Galveston that I just got off of (June 4th), 99% of the people I saw in the MDR were dressed at a minimum in what I call smart business casual, Saturday night when people were trying to pack their suitcases for disembarkation, you saw a little less "better" dress, but I never saw shorts or t-shirts in the MDR.

8 hours ago, DocLC said:

I do think itinerary matters. European cruises tend to have more formally dressed people, but the enforcement of the dress code is about the same as in the Caribbean. I think it had a lot to do with luggage restrictions and not wanting to dress like one might have to for work. 

I can definitely see that about the European cruises. That was kind of my thought when I posed the question.

13 minutes ago, FManke said:

I can definitely see that about the European cruises. That was kind of my thought when I posed the question.

I still just do suit and tie, though. I'm not taking up valuable luggage space with a blazer. 

9 hours ago, DocLC said:

Yes, I think people dress a bit more formally on European and even Med cruises because formal wear just isn't comfy in warmer climes.  But here's the deal: Please don't wear shorts, t-shirts and flip flops in the MDR at night.  But also - do not feel compelled to EVER wear a tie or a tux.  Or even a jacket if you don't want to.   On RCCL, business casual is perfect for any night.  In any clime.