Advice for Port Canaveral?

Hello all, this it my first post here, and I figured beyond my inquiry I'd also give a brief history about myself.

I went on my first cruise last August, at the tender age of 31 years old. It was a seven night eastern Caribbean cruise on Oasis of the Seas. I went with my wife and some friends, and we are all hooked now.

We have another cruise booked, same month, same ship. However, the main difference is instead of embarking at Port Everglades, we are now embarking at Port Canaveral. Port Everglades was pretty easy, we arrived the night before, and our hotel was only a 10 minute ride from the airport, and we could see the Oasis OTS from our hotel balcony the next morning. So the logistics of getting to the port, didn't seem daunting or time sensitive.

However, now, with the airport being about 42 miles from the port, I am curious, and a little anxious about the best way to both, get from Orlando to the port, and then from the port back to Orlando.

The wife and I were considering getting to Orlando Friday night, spending Saturday at Disney, then, of course heading to the port Sunday morning. So, shuttles directly from the airport to Port Canaveral may not be an option.

Any advise or personal experiences that anyone can offer is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Shuttles can be a good option. Here's one to consider...https://www.goportcanaveral.com/services/fly-snooze-cruise.php

You can also consider a one-way car rental...both Hertz and Budget are very close to the port. There are also several hotels close to it.

Last time, we stayed at the Residence Inn and used the Hertz one-way rental option as it is in the hotel parking lot. We used the Hertz shuttle from the hotel and were on board about twenty minutes later.

A car rental can be the cheapest way. If you do that, drop off the bags and the family and then return the car. The rental company should have a shuttle to take you to the port, but make sure of that before renting the car. 

As said, shuttles are good options. If you're using a TA ask them for a recommendation. 

If you're planning to stay at a Disney hotel where transportation is provided from the airport, then booking a shuttle or car service from your hotel is a good option. There are many companies that offer this. However, as @BrianAlt said, a car can be a very affordable option and then you're not beholden to Disney's transportation system. Just make sure when you book you select a one-way drop off at Port Canaveral. It also works better if you drop luggage off at the port first and then return the car.

1 hour ago, Spiegeje said:

Last time, we stayed at the Residence Inn and used the Hertz one-way rental option as it is in the hotel parking lot. We used the Hertz shuttle from the hotel and were on board about twenty minutes later.

This is exactly our scenario.  Since Hertz and the RI share a parking lot it is very easy to drive the car around all day, drop it off in the evening when you are done roaming and walk a few steps to the hotel.  The hotel also has a shuttle to the port so it's easy to get to the port the next day.  SO easy

30 minutes ago, Matt said:

If you have more than 2 people, a rental car makes a lot of financial sense. Lyft/Uber are also reasonable, especially since they charge per car and not per person.

@klaconqueso what was the ride share van service you liked?

I'm a big fan of Smart-Two.com. As others have mentioned, renting a car is generally the most recommended option due to convenience and cost. HOWEVER, if you really don't want to deal with that hassle I highly recommend Smart-Two. Clean and comfortable vans, have always been on time, water and wifi available along with outlets to charge up your phone. 

On June 19, 2017 at 11:42 AM, RedKingBert said:

Hello all, this it my first post here, and I figured beyond my inquiry I'd also give a brief history about myself.

I went on my first cruise last August, at the tender age of 31 years old. It was a seven night eastern Caribbean cruise on Oasis of the Seas. I went with my wife and some friends, and we are all hooked now.

We have another cruise booked, same month, same ship. However, the main difference is instead of embarking at Port Everglades, we are now embarking at Port Canaveral. Port Everglades was pretty easy, we arrived the night before, and our hotel was only a 10 minute ride from the airport, and we could see the Oasis OTS from our hotel balcony the next morning. So the logistics of getting to the port, didn't seem daunting or time sensitive.

However, now, with the airport being about 42 miles from the port, I am curious, and a little anxious about the best way to both, get from Orlando to the port, and then from the port back to Orlando.

The wife and I were considering getting to Orlando Friday night, spending Saturday at Disney, then, of course heading to the port Sunday morning. So, shuttles directly from the airport to Port Canaveral may not be an option.

Any advise or personal experiences that anyone can offer is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Truly, Uber is great for your situation.  You download the app and put in your credit card.  When you want to use it, pull up the app and type in your destination.  You are shown the rate (and a picture of your driver, his name and the make of car) and you can accept or decline.  If you accept, a car is there in minutes.   Super simple.  Upon arrival, you hop out of the car and you are done.  No paying the driver, no tipping.  I know people who have never tried Uber might be afraid but I use them all the time (woman alone) and have never had any issues.  Airport pickup happens in mere minutes.  I've left hospitals at 3 in the morning and had a driver in minutes.  It totally beats renting a car or waiting forever for a cab.  

8 hours ago, cruise-y said:

Truly, Uber is great for your situation.  You download the app and put in your credit card.  When you want to use it, pull up the app and type in your destination.  You are shown the rate (and a picture of your driver, his name and the make of car) and you can accept or decline.  If you accept, a car is there in minutes.   Super simple.  Upon arrival, you hop out of the car and you are done.  No paying the driver, no tipping.  I know people who have never tried Uber might be afraid but I use them all the time (woman alone) and have never had any issues.  Airport pickup happens in mere minutes.  I've left hospitals at 3 in the morning and had a driver in minutes.  It totally beats renting a car or waiting forever for a cab.  

I recommend Uber for just about any other Airport to Port transfer in Florida. However, MCO is an added hassle because they limit the types of Uber you can get to the 'premium' tiers. You first have to take a taxi to a hotel or someplace nearby, and then summon the Uber to take you to port. Otherwise, it becomes to expensive. 

1 hour ago, klaconqueso said:

However, MCO is an added hassle because they limit the types of Uber you can get to the 'premium' tiers. You first have to take a taxi to a hotel or someplace nearby, and then summon the Uber to take you to port. Otherwise, it becomes to expensive. 

That is about to change (thankfully): http://www.clickorlando.com/travel/uber-lyft-ban-expected-to-be-removed-at-orlando-airport

We are on Oasis August 6th, we actually opted for a limo from the airport to the Residence Inn and an SUV on the way back from the port.  Uber was only a little cheaper, taxi was crazy, and as others have said the one way rental wasn't bad to the port but back from the port a little higher.  My wife scoffed at the idea of a limo at first, but when she saw the prices she came around to my side.  The kids are going to love it and we are already spending too much for the cruise anyway.  The SUV is 165 with gratuity, if I remember correctly and the limo maybe 20 more.