Post-Cruise - Oasis - Thoughts

Thank you to so many of you that shared here. You really helped with our first-time cruise experience on Oasis.

With that said, I will try to add constructive comments where I can, to assist others. So please don't beat me up for sharing a couple areas that I think folks should be aware of before their first cruise (yes, I have shared these comments with RCCL on the survey).

Soda package/machines: The coke self-serve machines are a GREAT idea, but I just don't think RCCL has adequately addressed their short comings or potential. We experienced extreme frustration, especially on the 1st day, trying to locate available machines, and trying to get product out of them. 1) There are not enough of them. We counted only 7 or 8 of them on a ship with 6,000 passengers. 2) FREQUENTLY they were out of ice (these machines have to be manually restocked with ice by the crew), 3) There were many times that the machines ran out of soda (particularly diet sodas), were inoperable due to be in "maintenance mode". Yes, you can still get soda at most bars, but not the same level of selections, and also with additional waiting. Again, this a great idea with huge potential for enhancing the enjoyment and efficiency of the cruise beverage experience, It just hasn't been adequately deployed in my opinion. There should be at least 1 of these machines on EVERY deck level (including the cabin areas).

Featured Activity Venues: Yes, Oasis has 2 really cool Flowriders, but unless you pay for semi-private assigned lesson time, or are willing to stand on the burning deck for hours waiting, you probably will not get to actually use them. The open-use time is too limited to accommodate the volume of cruises that would like to try them. Again 6,000+ passengers, with approx 1,000 kids/teens (not including interested adults wanting to give it a try), and 2 Flow-riders, with limited open-use hours. Similar circumstance for the 2 Rock walls. There are 3 or 4 rope lines per wall, so it does move a bit faster, but again high demand vs. limited availability, you better set aside an hour or two if it's on your must-do list. I will say the Zip-line was more available and less waiting than I expected. Ice skating was the other area with very limited open-access times and limited opportunities (but the Ice Show was GREAT).

Shows: Come Fly With Me - Great performers, singing, and entertaining, especially for kids/teens. Headliner was "Mo5aic" - AWESOME performance, very much like Pentatonix (they will be on several upcoming Anthem cruises per their website). "Frozen In Time" Ice Show - VERY Good (this is not "Frozen", but a collection of stories on Ice). Get there early and try for first 4 rows. "Cats" - Very good performers, singers, dancers, and technical production. But the story line is very boring (over half the audience did not come back after intermission). Aqua Show - Good, but cheesy at times. Very good trampoline stunts, and decent diving (especially for a small pool on a moving ship).

Eating: MDR was GREAT. Wipe Out Cafe & Solarium Bistro are both great options especially for breakfast, Windjammer was a disappointment. It basically was Golden Corral Buffet dining, but not as good. The food was very mediocre (hamburger was one of the better items) and the desserts were surprisingly "bland" and disappointing. The MDR offered a very good lunch buffet, so stick with that, unless you are hanging out poolside all day.

I know its a lot, but this is stuff that we wanted to know before our first cruise. Hope it helps someone with their planning.

I think your feedback about the Freestyle Coke machines is right on.  All too often they overwhelmed, and more importantly, run out of stock too quickly.  Seems this ought to be a very easy problem to fix with proper supply ordering (it's no surprise how many people are on the ship from week to week).

Re: the FlowRiders, outside of lessons, your best bet is to be there early in the morning, during port stops or during dinner time for less of a line.

Flowriders are one of the staples of Royal Caribbean ships, so it's not surprising they're crowded.  I agree with @Matt get there early or go on port days... 

Also, aren't they open at weird hours? I remember on Majesty the rock wall only had certain hours when it was open... like, 2 hours here and 2 hours there, is this the same with the Flowrider? If so I can see how that would exacerbate the long lines and people missing out. 

Flowriders: Yes, because they do set aside time slots for paid lessons (one of the activities you can book ahead of time), it does significantly reduce the available hours for open use. Also, on Oasis, they would set times for 1 Flowrider unit as Surfing (stand-up) only, and 1 for Boogie Boarding (knee or elbow riding). But we tried 6 or 8 different times, and there always seemed to be at least 15-20 in line at each unit. Allowing to an average of 5 minutes per rider attempt, that's what led to the 1-2 hours waiting estimation.

Fortunately we had paid for the semi-private group lessons for our girls. So they each ended up getting 2 training efforts in the house class. The class had about 8 students per flowrider unit, and the class actually went a while longer than the scheduled hour, to make sure they all got 2 efforts. That was very worthwhile, and I'm glad we did it for them. They just never got a chance to see Dad make a fool of himself. :12_slight_smile:

20 hours ago, DocLC said:

We had similar issues with the Freestyle machines on the Allure. They weren't being maintained as regularly as they needed to be given how often they were being used.

The thing about the Freestyle machines, is that because of all the choices they offer, they have limited space to keep the proper amount of syrup boxes needed. Most fountain type machines have hoses running to usually the back of the house, attached to a rack full of syrup boxes. Also, because of all the drink choices, it really slows down the process of getting a drink, because they can only serve one person at a time. And have you ever gotten behind a 7 year old at one of these machines, trying to make up their mind? :4_joy: