Cocktails!!!!

Erica Rolf

I know this is off the beaten path a bit for most, but does anybody have any suggestions for non-alcoholic cocktails on board?

I know this goes against most peoples thoughts of cruising, but I don't drink anymore and would enjoy something besides an iced tea or coffee, once in a while. I know you can just leave the alcohol out of some, but then what are left with? A margarita with out the tequila and triple sec is just what, sour mix? No thanks!:14_relaxed:

Thanks

@FManke All of the ones I've mentioned are available without alcohol, which is how I usually get them because of the drink package I'm on. However, they can be high in sugar because of the mix they use. That said, most bartenders will make you anything and could muddle something with tonic or Ginger ale to provide a refreshing cocktail with less sugar. 

22 hours ago, DocLC said:

@FManke All of the ones I've mentioned are available without alcohol, which is how I usually get them because of the drink package I'm on. However, they can be high in sugar because of the mix they use. That said, most bartenders will make you anything and could muddle something with tonic or Ginger ale to provide a refreshing cocktail with less sugar. 

Thanks DocLC! Yes, I do need to watch the sugar content.  Since I'll be on the refreshment plan myself, I'll just ask the bartender to whip something up and see what happens. I can always get something else if I don't like it. Gotta love the beverage plans!

We've brought back several not-on-the-menu drink recipes from cruises. Two of my wife's favs...

American Dream - Equal parts Kahlua, Amaretto, Creme de Caco White, Frangelico

Apple Martini Special - 2oz Vodka, 2oz Green Apple...and 1/2 tsp butterscotch liqueur. Shaken and poured into a frozen martini glass.

I have sort of an on topic question.  Last cruise I got the drink package and my go to drink during the day poolside is a margarita.  Just a regular margarita.  Depending on what bar I happened to be at, sometimes they would make it with patron and sometimes they would make it with the well brand tequila, despite both being available at the bar.  All I ordered was a margarita, I didn't say a patron margarita or a grand margarita, so what was I doing wrong?  It wasn't a huge deal, especially after a few of them, but why drink well brand when you can drink top shelf?  The basic margarita made with patron was covered with the drink package, so what would have been the proper order to get one made with patron every time?  You can file this under first world problems, by the way, lol.   

On 6/16/2017 at 11:08 PM, Erica Rolf said:

OK! I know Starbucks has a secret menu, does royal Caribbean have a secret cocktail menu? I am looking to try some new drinks! I love the frozen mojito and piña coladas, but looking to change it up. What do you like to sip on? T -7 days until harmony!!!!  ???

If you are going on the Harmony, I've been told that the bar in Wonderland is supposed to have some pretty interesting drinks not available anyplace else on the ship.

I don't drink so I didn't try anything when I ate in Wonderland, but my dinner mates did and tried some of them, I just can't remember what they were called. Sorry.

On 6/17/2017 at 11:39 AM, DocLC said:

Try the R Bar as they seem to be more creative there.

One that's not advertised unless you're on Labadee is the a Labadoozie. Another popular drink is the Lava Flow. A Mango Tango is also pretty good (pina colada and mango). 

What do you think will happen if I go to Labadee and INSIST they make me a Coco Loco, not a Labadoozie?

• 2 months later...
On 6/17/2017 at 0:21 PM, HighlandBoy said:

I tried Mango Lava Flow for the first time last cruise and loved it, will definitely be ordering a few more on Oasis.

What's the difference between a lava flow and a mango lava flow?  Do they just add mango, or do they replace the strawberry or the banana with mango? 

14 hours ago, KathyC said:

What's the difference between a lava flow and a mango lava flow?  Do they just add mango, or do they replace the strawberry or the banana with mango? 

They replaced the Strawberry with Mango, did not see the Banana being offered, will have to give that a go next time.

Most of these drinks sound totally unappealing to me, but I am looking forward to trying some of the beer augmented drinks at the Hoof & Claw, especially the Boston Ice Tea Party and the Dublin Iced Tea (neither of which actually involves tea!)

10 hours ago, HighlandBoy said:

They replaced the Strawberry with Mango, did not see the Banana being offered, will have to give that a go next time.

I haven't had one on a cruise yet, just googled the ingredients and the red part is strawberry and the white part is banana.  So the mango lava flow was mango with banana. 

6 hours ago, DocLC said:

Beer with a shot of whiskey dropped in. Done recipes called for other liquor like Irish Creme. 

1/2 shot of baileys, 1/2 shot of Irish whiskey, together in single shot glass.  Drop shot into pint of Guiness.  I have never actually had one but my daughter makes a cupcake based on it with Guinness in the cupcake mix, a Jaimason Whiskey ganashe center, and baileys buttercreme icing!

3 minutes ago, DocLC said:

I don't know my drinks and don't know if you're serious or joking.

Serious. :8_laughing: I looked it up and confirmed it's not whiskey. It's actually a mix of amaretto and Bacardi 151 (which is the flammable part). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flaming_Doctor_Pepper

It was a drink I had in college only a couple of times, because you're supposed to chug it after dropping in the shot and therefore you get a kick like a mule.

But it really did taste like Dr. Pepper. Damnedest thing I've ever had.

17 minutes ago, dkirksmith said:

Oh man, here we go:  (1) Lava Flow; (2) Mudslide; (3) Strawberry / Banana Colada.  As you can probably tell I like sweet drinks.  And the Mudslide with vodka, Bailey's chocolate and kahlua is amazing.

Based on the room number you posted in one of the other topics, I think a "6 on the Beach" would be appropriate! :27_sunglasses:

2 hours ago, dkirksmith said:

Oh man, here we go:  (1) Lava Flow; (2) Mudslide; (3) Strawberry / Banana Colada.  As you can probably tell I like sweet drinks.  And the Mudslide with vodka, Bailey's chocolate and kahlua is amazing.

Finally tried my first mudslide a few weeks ago on my land vacation...sooo good!  Will definitely be having a few on my next cruise.

On ‎9‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 12:57 PM, tiny260 said:

@dkirksmith, your profile states that your are from Houston, so I'm assuming all is well for you and your family, hopefully. I had a lot of friends and coworkers affected, due to my company having a large office over by the Galleria, office was fine but some of their houses were not.

@tiny260, thank you for asking.  We had minimal damage compared to thousands in Houston, so we are thankful.  Our law office downtown was closed for an entire week due to the flooding.  Many friends, co-workers and some family were affected.  I doubt anyone around here doesn't know at lease one person who wasn't affected.  Just terrible.

• 4 years later...
18 hours ago, GoldenTimeHero said:

Has anyone tried the lavender daiquiri? It looks tasty  

I did!  It is 100% not my normal profile at all, but the Schooner Bar was temporarily out of Ginger Beer, so I had to panic order.  I saw the Lavender Daiquiri on the table placard and said, "yes, that."  It was fantastic!

19 hours ago, GoldenTimeHero said:

Has anyone tried the lavender daiquiri? It looks tasty  

I really like the flavor, but it's too strong for me to take straight. Because I am shameless, I will order it, fill my Freestyle cup halfway with Diet Sprite, and pour the daquiri in... For me, that's a perfect combo!