Odyssey of the Seas opinions

I am looking at an eight night southern Carribean cruise next spring. Our previous cruises were on three oasis class ships. Will be be disappointed on Odyssey or pleasantly surprised. We totally enjoy the entertainment on oasis class ships. Looking for opinions from people who have been on both. 

It is an ultra-Quantum class, which I guess could be argued is a step down from Oasis, HOWEVER you will not be disappointed at all with this ship. It’s a very modern with all of the bells and whistles you love in an Oasis, with some additional ones you may discover. It will have plenty of entertainment options as well as dining/drinking options. Don’t sweat this ship for a second!

This is my opinion, but I was very disappointed in Odyssey. 

I do not like the esplanade, nor do I like how the decks are made. On most classes you can circle around the decks. If you use the wrong elevator/stairs on Odyssey, you have to go back the way you came and then get on the right ones. I found Effectors and Showgirls okay, but I thought the entertainment lacked. While I liked the setup of Cafe270 I disliked the food options. I found myself missing the aqua shows and the general atmosphere of Oasis and Freedom class. In all honesty quantum class is my least favorite and if it was my choice, I wouldn't sail Odyssey again. I also felt the congestion on Odyssey more than any other ship I have been on, and it wasn't even a full sailing at the time.

@Leroyr55 We sailed on Odyssey last October.

Positives

• The selection and quality of the food in Windjammer was excellent (much better than Symphony which we just sailed on).
  • Two70 is pretty cool and a nice spot to chill out through the day.
  • Ship in general is immaculate and super clean.
  • Staff were excellent, very friendly and helpful.
  • One of the better ships for quality of pizza in Sorrentos.
  • Liked that it was a proper Starbucks with seats, rather than just the kiosk on Oasis ships.
  • In general we noticed a step up from Quantum Ultra as opposed to Quantum (we were a bit disappointed in Anthem).

Negatives

• I agree with @Ampurp85  I wasn't keen on the Esplanade, it felt too boxed in and really missed the natural light that you get coming through from the park on Oasis ships.
  • Some of the positioning was really odd, for example I didn't like how open Izumi was. it's quite off putting having your dinner and people can just walk straight through if they are passing by.
  • Lack of speciality dining options! I felt for Quantum Ultra, there could have been more exciting options for dining. If you've never been to Wonderland it's a good experience to go once but don't think I'd go back. The Jamie's Italian was ok but nothing special. Odyssey could use something like a Hooked Seafood.
  • Didn't like the Johnny Rockets 'Express'. Making the menu à la carte just makes it way more expensive and you don't feel much value for money. When we went I think the total cost was like $50. The proper restaurant with the surcharge is much better.
  • I understand the Boardwalk/park are only things you get on Oasis Class ships, but I did really miss that. On Oasis ships it's really nice being able to sit outside somewhere that isn't the pool/sports deck.

So overall a bit mixed, but we felt enough positives on Odyssey that we would sail again. I would recommend it 🙂

I would choose the Oasis ship every time unless the itinerary was amazing. I am looking to sail the Anthem (in the far away future) but just to experience We Will Rock You show. Honestly I hope she is sent here locally (Florida) and does some shorties....my perfect world.  I loved the Music Hall venue on the Odyssey and the cabin was very comfortable. I felt the ship felt small, I missed the Aqua show & Central Park. The weird little deck instead of the Promenade which I missed as well. The Wind Jammer was my favorite on any ship but the Coastal Kitchen separated from the suite lounge all the way aft was super strange. It felt different, not horrible but I prefer the Oasis ship & it would be my choice especially since Allure shows Mama Mia & that so far is my favorite Royal production. Seriously, both are great ships just different, we prefer the Oasis class to the Ultra Quantum. There are 3 of us and we had a 2 bedroom owners suite. Disappointed, no....different, yes. Great itinerary....go for it!

We really enjoyed our time on Odyssey.   Super modern and clean.   We had a JS that was amazing.   Best located Playmakers in the fleet and the SeaPlex is fantastic.

The 2nd pool (under the Northstar) showed continuous movies, plenty of seating in/out of pool.   Great fitness room.   El Loco Fresh and J Rockets convenient to pool.

Cafe 270/Sorrentos/Solarium Bistro all complimentary and nice options.  

The 8 night itinerary was amazing.

Odyssey or Oasis class ship, there's really no wrong choice.

Just got off Odyssey for 10 night Greek Isle cruise.  We had a JS (9612) and it was a great room with two bathrooms.  Never seen that before and it was very pleasant surprise.

I am a fan of it and the quantum class in general.   Odyssey in particular has excellent shows (Effectors, Showgirls-past present future, and the Book (in 270).   Seaplex is a cool places with bumper cars, laser tag and many sporting options.  It also has playmakers.

Frequently quantum ships will have very good cover bands (DSB, No Quarter etc ) in Music Hall.

Food quality is generally good.

I agree that the ice shows and aqua shows of Oasis ships are sorely missed.   Esplanade vs Promenade is fine with me either way.

As a side note, we had Mike Szwajkowski and I thought he was quite good and one of the best CD in my opinion.

12 minutes ago, Peter D said:

Just got off Odyssey for 10 night Greek Isle cruise.  We had a JS (9612) and it was a great room with two bathrooms.  Never seen that before and it was very pleasant surprise.

I am a fan of it and the quantum class in general.   Odyssey in particular has excellent shows (Effectors, Showgirls-past present future, and the Book (in 270).   Seaplex is a cool places with bumper cars, laser tag and many sporting options.  It also has playmakers.

Frequently quantum ships will have very good cover bands (DSB, No Quarter etc ) in Music Hall.

Food quality is generally good.

I agree that the ice shows and aqua shows of Oasis ships are sorely missed.   Esplanade vs Promenade is fine with me either way.

Odyssey has laser tag?  Didn't realize that.

We will be on Odyssey for the first time in December.  I quite enjoyed Anthem so figure this will be similar (esp now with SkyPad and virtual reality game gone).  

Oasis class are in a league of their own and it's not really fair to compare any ships from any cruise line to them.  

I really enjoy Quantum class in general and they really made a lot of nice updates with Odyssey.  The MDR for example is so much better compared to the non-Ultra Quantum class.  

The Music Hall on Quantum class is much better than the Oasis class Dazzles they have converted into Music Halls.  I feel like I am going to a concert on Quantum class while Oasis class Music Halls just feel like a weird lounge that should have a cocktail singer. 

The Solarium on Quantum class may be the best in the fleet with great forward views. 

I really like that the Esplanade has a bypass one deck up that allows you to skip the first level of the Esplanade when they have retail events.  Everyone loves the t-shirt sales and the Esplanade, like promenades, can get pretty crowded at times.  The bypass once deck up through the Bionic Bar area or outside of Wonderland is something I wish that Oasis class had.  They are doing that on Icon - a bypass deck one deck above the promenade and they got that idea from Quantum class.  

I also find the cabins some of the best of the fleet.  Very efficient bathroom design and lots of storage in the cabin.  Odyssey also has non-suite aft balcony cabins missing on the non-ultra Quantum class.  I've sailed in a few of them and they are some of the best aft balcony cabins in the fleet.

As already stated Odyssey has the best Playmakers in the fleet.  North Star is always fun.  

I much prefer the food options in Cafe270 compare to Park Cafe on Oasis class.  Two70 in general is a great space.

What sets Oasis class apart is the extra wide hull.  No ship with a conventional width hull is going to have the real estate to offer everything that Oasis class has to offer.  

I tend to prefer Quantum class itineraries.  I've sailed Quantum class to Alaska, Hawaii, Australia/New Zealand and the Southern Caribbean.  They go places like the Norway and Asia where you won't find any Oasis class ships.  As a result some of my favorite cruises have been on Quantum class.  That includes the ability to tender opening up ports unattainable by Oasis class.   

Most of all I like that Quantum class is different than Oasis class.  If all ships were just different versions of Oasis class it would get boring pretty quickly.  

Haven't been on the Odyssey, but have been on the Anthem. For us we prefer the Oasis class. We didn't like the Esplanade. The shows at Two70 were hit and miss. Didn't realize cafeTwo70 even existed until we just happened to walk down to Two270 one day around lunch. In fairness to Anthem, we did go on it like 2 months after it came out, so a lot of bugs to work out

Ditto everything @twangster said. We did 12 nights on her last October for Holy Land cruise and we loved her! 

Now oasis class is our favorite but Odyssey was different in a good way. We actually said we’d definitely sail her to southern Caribbean and now I’m super excited that she’s taking over Anthem in the UK as the Norwegian fjords are on our bucket list. I just hope she stays there for more than one season. We’ve got 2026 in our sights. 

We had a junior suite on deck 7 mid ship hump. Great cabin! 

I would’ve liked one or two more specialty restaurants. We had a 5 night plan with 7 nights in the MDR which actually was very good! 

1 minute ago, Jill said:

Ditto everything @twangster said. We did 12 nights on her last October for Holy Land cruise and we loved her! 

Now oasis class is our favorite but Odyssey was different in a good way. We actually said we’d definitely sail her to southern Caribbean and now I’m super excited that she’s taking over Anthem in the UK as the Norwegian fjords are on our bucket list. I just hope she stays there for more than one season. We’ve got 2026 in our sights. 

We had a junior suite on deck 7 mid ship hump. Great cabin! 

I would’ve liked one or two more specialty restaurants. We had a 5 night plan with 7 nights in the MDR which actually was very good! 

I'm not sure if Odyssey (or any Royal ships) will be able to sail in the Norwegian Fjords past 2025.  

https://www.sdir.no/en/shipping/vessels/environment/prevention-of-pollution-from-ships/zero-emissions-in-the-world-heritage-fjords-by-2026/

January 1, 2026 is the deadline for their zero emissions target. 

18 hours ago, Leroyr55 said:

I am looking at an eight night southern Carribean cruise next spring. Our previous cruises were on three oasis class ships. Will be be disappointed on Odyssey or pleasantly surprised. We totally enjoy the entertainment on oasis class ships. Looking for opinions from people who have been on both. 

I have been on both. Odyssey is a great ship and the itinerary is what closed the deal for my family & I. Odyssey has plenty to do and also some amazing entertainment. The music hall on Odyssey is the best in the fleet IMHO. I wouldn’t hesitate to sail the ship and route again. 

Just a note Odyssey has Giovanni's table, not Jamie's.

But I should preface my opinion with the fact that I was on the first American sailing of her last Nov. So, food quality was off, and a lot of things weren't up and running. Also, she was severely under/not properly staffed. I also didn't like that they had a lot of "outdoor" seating for specialty restaurants. We had to request not to be seat outside of Giovanni's and felt bad for the poor souls that were. 

I agree with @twangster the cabins are top notched, clean and full of storage. 

2 hours ago, twangster said:

I'm not sure if Odyssey (or any Royal ships) will be able to sail in the Norwegian Fjords past 2025.  

https://www.sdir.no/en/shipping/vessels/environment/prevention-of-pollution-from-ships/zero-emissions-in-the-world-heritage-fjords-by-2026/

January 1, 2026 is the deadline for their zero emissions target. 

Well dang. May have to push Alaska to 2026 and do fjords 2025. I hadn’t heard that news. 

1 minute ago, Jill said:

Well dang. May have to push Alaska to 2026 and do fjords 2025. I hadn’t heard that news. 

The original proposal was quite tough, meaning only battery operated ships could sail.  That was proving difficult for ferries and other ships to achieve.  Not even LNG ships were originally allowed as they are not zero emissions.  

The latest draft from January seems to soften the position potentially allowing LNG vessels.  

It may not pass in time for a 2026 implementation, but it could.  I'm going in 2024 and I'm waiting for Odyssey to open for 2025 just in case the new regulation is adopted.

Just something to keep an eye on.  

20 minutes ago, twangster said:

The original proposal was quite tough, meaning only battery operated ships could sail.  That was proving difficult for ferries and other ships to achieve.  Not even LNG ships were originally allowed as they are not zero emissions.  

The latest draft from January seems to soften the position potentially allowing LNG vessels.  

It may not pass in time for a 2026 implementation, but it could.  I'm going in 2024 and I'm waiting for Odyssey to open for 2025 just in case the new regulation is adopted.

Just something to keep an eye on.  

I’m assuming this coming November for summer 2025? That’s usually when Alaska opens so I’m already primed and ready for November. I’ll be on Allure early November so might stop by Next Cruise to get the onboard deal then pull the trigger when dates are released. 

Odyssey is quite gorgeous and wonderful.  However, it does not have a conventional promenade.  That in itself makes Odyssey not my first choice.

I also understand the promenade may not be as important to other passengers as it is to me.

Regardless of promenade or other preferences, this ship is quite magnificent.😎

We'll be on Odyssey in Jan '24. we chose it solely for the itinerary (Coco Cay, Aruba, Curacao).

The only other time we were on a Quantum class ship was way back in December of '14 when Quantum was just beginning it's life.  There were technical glitches to work out and an over-abindance of D+ and Pinnacle travelers who were not happy that their privileged venues were overcrowded.  It will be difficult to compare week 1 Quantum with Odyssey.

There were some things we liked and some we didn't at the time.  We did not care for the no MDR, restaurant concept, but that has since been discarded and Odyssey has an MDR.  The location of the pub is odd and we didn't find it as inviting as the standard pubs on other class ships.  We missed the skating rink.  And the Music Hall is an interesting space, but we found that unless we got one of the premium spots on the floor or right along the balcony, we couldn't see the entertainment.

We liked the Two70, the SeaPlex, the Northstar and the simulated skydiving and Wonderland.  I'm looking forward to Playmakers as that will be in the middle of NFL playoff season and I always love a good sports bar.  We have not yet been on a ship with a Playmakers.  When we were on Quantum way back then, the only place to watch a game was on a small TV in the Schooner bar or at the pool on the big screen for Sunday Night Football. 

Ship aside, we're looking forward to the stops, our 3 favorite destinations in one trip.  We would have taken any ship with this itinerary.

21 hours ago, Jill said:

I’m assuming this coming November for summer 2025? That’s usually when Alaska opens so I’m already primed and ready for November. I’ll be on Allure early November so might stop by Next Cruise to get the onboard deal then pull the trigger when dates are released. 

Some evidence is beginning to suggest that Indy may be going back to Southampton in 2025.  Unsure what Odyssey plans are if that is true.  

We have sailed on anthem once this year ( have Symphony booked for August and Anthem booked for October as well ) and sailed on Odyssey and Oasis last year. They are all great ships but you need to look at where its going from and going to and where it is stopping not just the ship itself. Oasis class is amazing and has all the bells and whistles with a lot more specialty restaurants and open space and that is great if you want that. Quantum class ships are different as others have said but I feel different in a good way that suits different ports of call and the layout is just different. I would say give it a try on both and you might be pleasantly surprised. Am happy just as long as I can get away on a cruise but then again my better half says I am easily pleased. Enjoy your trip.