Mr Mike 1124

Hi.  New to the Board.

I just had the worst pre-cruise experience, not resolved by any person in RC customer service.  My wife had booked a reservation for this July 2023. She realized it was her work email and, on the same day, updated it to her personal email address (Aug. 2022). Since then she has received emails reminding her of "Days to Embark, excursions, etc."- except the most important one- payment due. Each of the other 6 family members travelling with us all received their email regarding payment. 

My wife called RC to find out our reservation had been cancelled. It was for a balcony room, and the only thing they could offer was an interior room at double the cost. I felt this was an unacceptable remedy. I then took a swing. He confirmed that RC cancelled the reservation for lack of payment. I was able to escalate the situation to RC resolution department. The gentlemen understood the situation, but also could only offer the same interior room. I asked him if I was able to furnish proof that she updated her email address the same day as the booking, then would he be able to do something for me? He said he would research it and before hanging up the phone, I was able to find a email that RC had confirmed she updated her profile. We exchanged information confirming that he would find resolution and call me back between 24-36 hours. That never happened.  I followed up with another call and 2 emails. No response to the emails and the person who answered the phone said the first person I spoked with was unavailable. Two weeks passed and today, reluctantly, I picked up the phone again. Was on the phone for 45 minutes with resolution. The man did not want to disclose his last name and kept offering me the same interior room at double the cost. He also assured me that there were only 5 rooms left, he could not price guarantee me the original price of my room, said he could escalate the situation to his boss but that person does not get on the phone with customers. My $200 deposit is lost based on RC's inability to fix a communication problem on their end, and my $300 worth of gift cards are also in jeopardy. He told me in all likelihood, "Whomever calls you back at any level will not be able to offer you anything different." Also that call may not happen for a couple of weeks.  What a disgrace. 

They are simply stealing people's money and sailing away!

By the way, my previous cruise in 2020 was cancelled by them during the pandemic because the ship was sold. Again, the only communication I received was that my drink package was cancelled, with no mention of the entire trip being cancelled. Again, RC offered no alternatives. signs of good will or empathy.

I would not ever sail with them again, not for a lack of beautiful sights, amenities on the boat and ports oif call, but simple because of their smug and unhelpful team of employees in customer service.

Buyer Beware.

3 hours ago, BarbzMike said:

Hi.  New to the Board.

I just had the worst pre-cruise experience, not resolved by any person in RC customer service.  My wife had booked a reservation for this July 2023. She realized it was her work email and, on the same day, updated it to her personal email address (Aug. 2022). Since then she has received emails reminding her of "Days to Embark, excursions, etc."- except the most important one- payment due. Each of the other 6 family members travelling with us all received their email regarding payment. 

My wife called RC to find out our reservation had been cancelled. It was for a balcony room, and the only thing they could offer was an interior room at double the cost. I felt this was an unacceptable remedy. I then took a swing. He confirmed that RC cancelled the reservation for lack of payment. I was able to escalate the situation to RC resolution department. The gentlemen understood the situation, but also could only offer the same interior room. I asked him if I was able to furnish proof that she updated her email address the same day as the booking, then would he be able to do something for me? He said he would research it and before hanging up the phone, I was able to find a email that RC had confirmed she updated her profile. We exchanged information confirming that he would find resolution and call me back between 24-36 hours. That never happened.  I followed up with another call and 2 emails. No response to the emails and the person who answered the phone said the first person I spoked with was unavailable. Two weeks passed and today, reluctantly, I picked up the phone again. Was on the phone for 45 minutes with resolution. The man did not want to disclose his last name and kept offering me the same interior room at double the cost. He also assured me that there were only 5 rooms left, he could not price guarantee me the original price of my room, said he could escalate the situation to his boss but that person does not get on the phone with customers. My $200 deposit is lost based on RC's inability to fix a communication problem on their end, and my $300 worth of gift cards are also in jeopardy. He told me in all likelihood, "Whomever calls you back at any level will not be able to offer you anything different." Also that call may not happen for a couple of weeks.  What a disgrace. 

By the way, my previous cruise in 2020 was cancelled by them during the pandemic because the ship was sold. Again, the only communication I received was that my drink package was cancelled, with no mention of the entire trip being cancelled. Again, RC offered no alternatives. signs of good will or empathy.

I would not ever sail with them again, not for a lack of beautiful sights, amenities on the boat and ports oif call, but simple because of their smug and unhelpful team of employees in customer service.

Buyer Beware.

Sorry, but it is your responsibility to ensure final payment is made on or before 90 days. All cruise lines work the same way.

Due date reminders is one of the many services a good TA would provide you.  I make sure my TA has my current CC info and instruct her to pay a few days before the deadline in case there are issues.

So if all other family members knew they had to pay…don’t you all communicate with each other?  This is not Royal’s fault.  I have booked several past cruises traveling with others and just out of sheer excitement we continually talk about the cruise and keep each other informed.  I’m sorry but you have nothing to complain about except the fact that both you and your wife missed the payment date.  Trying to blame this on a missing email is ridiculous.

Sorry but no sympathy from this cruiser!

I want to have sympathy, but I can't.

You said you got emails counting down the days and have family sailing..........but you are the only one that missed final payment, this is your fault. In all honesty I cannot recall ever getting any notice that payment was due. Someone correct me if this is a thing because I don't think it is.

When you got your invoice, it states clearly when final payment is. So the onus is on you. I don't understand grown-ups who blame someone else when they make a mistake. 

People have been paying bills on time LONG before emails were a thing. Are you old enough to remember such a time? Your due date is clearing spelled out on your booking invoice and you could have looked it up at any time. I’ve personally never received such an email, so how come all my cruises have all got paid on time and you not paying yours is someone elses’s fault? I know deflecting responsibility is easy, but you not paying your own invoices on time is 100% on you.

Adults that are spending a large amount of money for a vacation make sure they pay attention to due dates, which you received when you booked. I don't even think they send reminders to pay...IT'S YOUR JOB TO KNOW WHEN TO PAY FOR YOUR VACATION. Don't blame RC for not begging you to pay off your vacation , this is 100% on you. Email changes or not...you need to know when your balance is due.  

8 hours ago, Ampurp85 said:

I want to have sympathy, but I can't.

You said you got emails counting down the days and have family sailing..........but you are the only one that missed final payment, this is your fault. In all honesty I cannot recall ever getting any notice that payment was due. Someone correct me if this is a thing because I don't think it is.

When you got your invoice, it states clearly when final payment is. So the onus is on you. I don't understand grown-ups who blame someone else when they make a mistake. 

Yes I have received emails reminding me of final payment due.  And actually there were more than one!  I received the first reminder at 6 days before.  Three days later received a second reminder email!  Once payment was made I got another email thanking me for paying!  

I am often critical of passengers and their irrational fear of missing the boat when they are in port, like somehow they are not adults. They can't tell the sun is setting. They don't say to themselves "Gee, we have been here quite a while". Or, " Ya' know, I'm not seeing any other tourists around"

This post has begun to change my mind that some passengers may in fact not know what time it is.

I don't know if Royal offers it directly but through a travel agent you can establish up to three scheduled payments before final payment due date.  Once setup it's automated, so much on this date, so much on another date, or full payment a week before final payment is due.  

Once they sold your cabin to someone else they were not going to kick that person, who paid in full, off the cruise for you.  It's not Royal's job to remind you to pay the amount that you agreed to,  That's on you.  Hard lesson learned the hard way.   Take responsibility and stop blaming Royal.   

We've never gotten any reminder emails for last payment, then again when we put a reminder in our calendars and book an appointment with our TA to pay it in full 3 weeks it's due (just in case). You mention your wife called RC and found the reservation was cancelled. What prompted her to call?

Not sure what email she uses, but hotmail is notorious for putting stuff in the spam folder

20 hours ago, BarbzMike said:

The man did not want to disclose his last name

I don’t blame him.

Going off on a slight tangent….

I’ve worked retail since I was 13 years old…I’m 53 now.  I remember being told many, many years ago to never share your last name with customers.  It’s a privacy and security thing.  Pissed off customers know no bounds when it comes to irrational behaviors. 

Nowadays, meaning 2023, I believe it’s even more important to keep last names private.  It’s too easy for a disgruntled customer to get information on someone they think is responsible for their dissatisfaction.  

My company doesn’t even print last names on the name tags we wear at work. 

23 hours ago, BarbzMike said:

Hi.  New to the Board.

Buyer Beware.

I always mark my calendar a few days before final pymt is due.  Plus I use a travel agent, who would have caught this.   And reminded me the pymt was due.