Smaller ship?

A few weeks ago sailed on wonder eastern Caribbean, and loved it except for the Covid souvenir we brought back to Idaho. (Covid no joke, kicked our butts.). Was our first cruise. Due to an epic craps run all week we received a club royal offer for a trip this fall that works great as we’ll be in Tampa for a week anyway. Looking at Radiience western Caribbean or Allure Bahamas. We’re both 60 and pretty chill, wouldn’t mind a less “dazzling” cruise.

Both ships are considerably smaller than wonder, anyone have a preference?

my bad, radiance or liberty

Edited by Obdave
Wrong ship

Allure would be similar size as Wonder, just not as new.   It would be the least "jazziest" Oasis class ship but still a very nice ship. 

Radiance will be significantly smaller with less bells and whistles but might be less expensive and less of a party vibe.

We have sailed on Radiance and Allure in the last 60 days as both were/are sailing out of Galveston. Allure is like Wonder in size with all of the shows, amenities and pace. Radiance is much smaller and to us more intimate and slower paced. You do not have the Broadway shows on Radiance but they were very good. The crew seemed friendlier on Radiance (our opinion as we like to talk to the crew where ever we go) and the pace was definitely not so frenzied. Just our opinion but we like the smaller ships even thought we have multiple cruises booked already on Allure and Harmony, both large ships. We are both over 60.

Since your edit, I say Liberty. I was not happy with Radiance. The elevators were always out of order. My husband likes to smoke cigars and the smoking area was stuck back in a small corner on the pool deck. All chairs, no tables.

We had a wonderful time on Liberty. I prefer the Broadway Shows instead of just the musical reviews (they were good on both ships).

Just off 15 nights on Radiance earlier this month.  No broken elevators 🙂 

I do like Radiance Class and really enjoyed her for 15 nights.   She has one of two Samba Grills in the fleet if you are a meat eater.   

Being a small ship she is easy to get around.

Liberty is a great ship too.  Much larger than Radiance which is roughly 2/3 the size.  

I will second you on the Radiance Samba Grill.The best specialty dining I have ever experienced. Once you find the place!

I talked to some of the staff on board as to why only two ships have the grill. The general thought was it hasn’t been profitable. Costs too high unless they really significantly jack up the price.

12 minutes ago, OCSC Mike said:

Personal preference... I don't like ships smaller than Voyager Class (like Radiance) so I'd choose Liberty but that doesn't mean you should.

Agreed. But I definitely enjoyed Serenade for Alaska and Jewel for a "can't beat the price" 8 nighter. And going on Rhapsody through the Panama Canal surely won't make me miss bigger ships either.

10 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

Agreed. But I definitely enjoyed Serenade for Alaska and Jewel for a "can't beat the price" 8 nighter. And going on Rhapsody through the Panama Canal surely won't make me miss bigger ships either.

It was probably b/c we spent 10 days on land first and were obviously there to see Alaska for the first time but I barely remember Radiance, lol. I vividly remember everything I did and saw off the ship.

I agree with your general sentiment. I'd deal with a smaller ship if it was to do Alaska again or Europe for the first time.

We've also toyed with the idea of an "extra" Caribbean cruise on a small ship this winter (if certain unlikely circumstances work out) just b/c it's cheap (and would get us to D+ as a bonus). We decided we would plan for longer excursions in at least 3 or the 4 ports to make up for the ship.

1 hour ago, steverk said:

captain Marek is in charge of Radiance.  If he's on for that sailing,  it would make the difference for me.

I love how different things are important to different cruisers. I've never once cared who the captain or CD was.

I post "different strokes" far too often but it really does apply in so many instances.

3 hours ago, OCSC Mike said:

I love how different things are important to different cruisers. I've never once cared who the captain or CD was.

I post "different strokes" far too often but it really does apply in so many instances.

Captain Marek is a very unique Captain. He's very visible, personable and fun he also inspires his crew like nobody else I know. It makes for a very fun cruise. 

18 hours ago, OCSC Mike said:

While I may not "care" who the Captain or CD is, I have to say that the CD defn sets the mood on the cruises that I have been on. Huge difference from those that are out  and involved with the guests and being involved with the events etc, and those cruises who I didn't even know or hear who the CD was.

4 minutes ago, monctonguy said:

While I may not "care" who the Captain or CD is, I have to say that the CD defn sets the mood on the cruises that I have been on. Huge difference from those that are out  and involved with the guests and being involved with the events etc, and those cruises who I didn't even know or hear who the CD was.

Exactly why I said I love how different things matter to different people. I wasn't being judgmental. I think it's great!

It makes no difference to us if we notice the CD a lot or not at all. Only time we cared (and it still wasn't a big deal) was when we sailed with a CD that lives nearby and my wife had a connection to his family who happened to be onboard that week so she briefly said hi and chatted with them one evening.

I guess I was spoiled as my very first cruise and then like 3/4 of the next cruises I had Marc Walker....I couldn't tell you a name of any other CD on cruises, but when you are on a cruise with him as a CD, its a lot of fun and he was one of the reasons I had so much fun and fell in love with cruising way back in 2013 on my first cruise on Monarch.... 15 cruises ago! 

Bummer about no craps on Radience, love when the table gets rocking with chips flying everywhere. Plus my conservative style, (pass, come and odds,) narrows the house edge to a point I’m comfortable with. 
also the cd on wonder was great. Really enjoyed the dance parties on the promenade and the quest game show. Even got yanked out of the audience to do the twist

On 5/29/2023 at 2:14 PM, Obdave said:

A few weeks ago sailed on wonder eastern Caribbean, and loved it except for the Covid souvenir we brought back to Idaho. (Covid no joke, kicked our butts.). Was our first cruise. Due to an epic craps run all week we received a club royal offer for a trip this fall that works great as we’ll be in Tampa for a week anyway. Looking at Radiience western Caribbean or Allure Bahamas. We’re both 60 and pretty chill, wouldn’t mind a less “dazzling” cruise.

Both ships are considerably smaller than wonder, anyone have a preference?

my bad, radiance or liberty

I am older and always would go with newer larger ships.   More things to do and watch, more restaurant choices, and more variety.   I have been on radiance several times.  She was nice when she was new, lately I have been very disappointed with Radiance, or any ship that class or age.   Just doesn't seem as "fresh".   Even though those older ships are updated they are not the same.  In my opinion.   Musty smelling, older pipes, less outlets in cabins, and generally old design.  Many people love them, but just not me. The good thing  is they are less expensive, so that may pay a factor in ones decision.   Either way, all cruises are great and enjoy!