New Dining package prices

Ampurp85

Everything in the add on realm is going up incrementally. Our Jan. '24 on Mariner, the CP currently shows the 'sale' price of the unlimited beverage package as $74.99, Refreshment Package, $29.99, and specialty dining package/prices have yet to be displayed; guess they're waiting til closer to sail date to price things out since commodities prices seem to move like the price of gasoline these days?  Is this in part, a tactic to not impose a fuel surcharge?

No matter, add on pricing gets too rich for us, we'll pass on what we normally get. Cruise fares get too silly, we'll find something else to do............

In a multitude of ways, Royal today is reminding me of Walt Disney World in the late 90s-early 2000s. While never cheap, WDW pricing wasn't completely nuts (even if there's a ton of people willing to pay those prices). Then the Walt Disney Company figured out that prices could dramatically increase, and people would still be willing to pay. Royal seems to be going through the same process where they're raising prices, people are still buying, so the price increases once more. It definitely helps Royal in this endeavor with the number of passengers who've never sailed before aboard their ships. These passengers are less likely to understand the sheer volume and choice of food already included in the base fare. They're also more likely to have FOMO if they don't book a specialty package and they have no idea about what the pricing used to be like.

Speaking of prices, I strongly suspect if there's a Discovery-class (or any new and midsized ship class) introduced, prices will be more akin to a new Oasis or Quantum-class ship versus the current Voyager-class ships. While it's a "no duh" position, I suspect a certain love of the older ships in the fleet isn't just due to their design. It's also due to pricing.

Mrs Bow Tie spent a couple hours yesterday pricing Princess and was much happier with their model. Her parents, decades-long LTR cruisers, have started doing the same. Can’t say for certain we’ll be booking with them next because Royal has the kid activities we want, but I believe RCCL is going to see a large number of cruisers start to calculate how much those diamond drinks are really costing them. As with Disney parks, the question for corporate will just be whether the higher prices and new passengers make up for the lost passengers. 

Price and availability depend on demand. For my cruise the 3NDP cost over $140 although there was a 40% off.
If you want to book a dining package in any case, you should not wait too long. For my cruise e.g. you can no longer book dining packages at all on the website. They seem to be sold out.

More significant than the percentage discount is the final price you end up paying. I haven't followed the price history of the dining packages for my cruise but I have for the shore excursions and for those the final price displayed without discount has increased extremely in some cases over several months.
So an excursion that is 20% off costs much more today than I paid months ago because they simply increased the normal price significantly on the website.

This is surely also done with Dining packages, but probably not quite as extreme.

1 hour ago, Mr.Cruiser said:

Price and availability depend on demand. For my cruise the 3NDP cost over $140 although there was a 40% off.
If you want to book a dining package in any case, you should not wait too long. For my cruise e.g. you can no longer book dining packages at all on the website. They seem to be sold out.

More significant than the percentage discount is the final price you end up paying. I haven't followed the price history of the dining packages for my cruise but I have for the shore excursions and for those the final price displayed without discount has increased extremely in some cases over several months.
So an excursion that is 20% off costs much more today than I paid months ago because they simply increased the normal price significantly on the website.

This is surely also done with Dining packages, but probably not quite as extreme.

I feel like the cost of food, a.k.a inventory, is what cause the dining packages to increase, not demand. Fares, excursion and other add-ons relate more to supply and demand. The dining packages imho is more so about what they can get away with. The packages use to have a 50% off when it came to sales. 25% off on a higher price is something new and with more than 50% of cruisers being new, they can get away with it. The excursions might increase because of the suppliers and also demand. But I feel like the increase in dining packages might end up biting them in the butt in the long run.

LOL,  I jumped on this deal early this morning as this is for the 4 night Mexico Cruise and it is a fantasstic deal. I immediately went to pay for it to lock it in when I found that my transaction would not go through.  I called my Credit card Company and they said that the block was not on their end.

image.jpeg.2ca4459617bebbae0a896f9f54810ede.jpeg

I went back to the RCI website Only to find that I no longer had the package purchased but that it looked like the purchase was never made and now I return to the offer to try again and I am greeted with this! 

image.thumb.jpeg.62631969fdc0d09096bb8e86c429cbdb.jpeg\

IT Website team makes yet another price error?   BUT, this time RCI does not honor the error and hides the mistake?

17 hours ago, BigKarl said:

I went back to the RCI website Only to find that I no longer had the package purchased but that it looked like the purchase was never made and now I return to the offer to try again and I am greeted with this! 

IT Website team makes yet another price error?   BUT, this time RCI does not honor the error and hides the mistake?

I saw that screen several times for the 3NDP for my cruise too. I booked it before anyway but one day it appeared with another picture on the overview site and a cheaper price so I checked it out. When I went to the 3NDP site I saw that sold out button and the currently unavailable message. The same message appeared for MDR so you could not book my time dining. After 1,2 days it was all OK and booking was available again. But 1 day later it was the same situation again. That game repeated several times. Either it was an error or maintenance or maybe they were adjusting options and prices these days.

When dining packages are really sold out they disappear and you can‘t choose them anymore.

On 5/29/2023 at 7:50 AM, Baked Alaska said:

Three nights for $164 when it was $105 a few days ago? No thanks. I don't think this is dynamic pricing; it is the new buzzword "greedflation." Love capitalism, so I'm sure some will bite and make shareholders happier.

Yes.  I was looking at Unlimited dining and the price has been $225 for weeks.  The sale comes along, and they have regular price is around $400 with the sale price around $300.  Doesn't not make sense.  I always make sure I know the price before the sale, before I even look at the so-called sale prices. 

On 5/29/2023 at 2:05 PM, BigKarl said:

LOL,  I jumped on this deal early this morning as this is for the 4 night Mexico Cruise and it is a fantasstic deal. I immediately went to pay for it to lock it in when I found that my transaction would not go through.  I called my Credit card Company and they said that the block was not on their end.

image.jpeg.2ca4459617bebbae0a896f9f54810ede.jpeg

I had to call to get the 3 night for $91 on Quantum in August.  It did the same thing twice.  The price dropped to $91, but it said sold out.  I called and was told they would sell it to me if I sent in a screen shot.  When I did the person came back and said they would NOT sell it to me at the screen shot price.  I asked for a supervisor and got the snide "Okay, but they will tell you the same thing."  The supervisor simply sold it to me at the $91 price with no argument.

We tend to notice that when they have “real” sales that they generally have the markdown at 40-50% for UDP. Purchased for our Wonder sailing September 23 for $226pp on 5/3 while it was indicated at 50% off. This was a last minute booking for our Prime cruise. We think this is pretty good for the UDP.  We generally pre-purchase what we want and just keep keep an eye on the pricing.  They are likely to come down.  We have seen this many times just on random weekend sales… but then again with the way things are changing, who knows…

J&S

I would always purchase the three night dining package for a seven night cruise on the Anthem. The price was pretty steady at $109. Not bad for two visits to Chops and one Jaime’s.

The problems with purchasing the package are…I can’t pre-reserve on the Cruise Planner. I had to wait until I boarded and then rush to a restaurant host desk to wait in line. Only then could I make my reservations…hoping the dates and times I wanted were available. It wasn’t too difficult for me because I’m usually solo, but I wondered how someone trying to arrange for a family or group had to manage. Always added some stress on boarding day.
Also, I always choose early dining in the MDR. I love walking to my table as soon as the doors open. But whenever I purchase a three night dining package, my dining is automatically changed to MyTime. I guess they figure my spot can be released for the other four nights. Again, I would need to rush to the MDR desk, wait in line, and hope they could change me back to early dining.
Plus, it’s not the total price. Oh, it says total price as you navigate through the Cruise Compass and add it to your cart…but when you go to check out, the price jumps as they add the gratuities just before payment.

21 minutes ago, BrianB said:

whenever I purchase a three night dining package, my dining is automatically changed to MyTime

That's very interesting.  I didn't realize they would do this.  We never do fixed dining so I guess I just never experienced it.  Very interesting, indeed....

1 hour ago, BrianB said:

The problems with purchasing the package are…I can’t pre-reserve on the Cruise Planner. I had to wait until I boarded and then rush to a restaurant host desk to wait in line. Only then could I make my reservations…hoping the dates and times I wanted were available.

I've never understood why they do this. Its got to be easier for everyone involved (including their own staff) to allow people to make their own reservations ahead of time.  

41 minutes ago, Vancity Cruiser said:

I've never understood why they do this. Its got to be easier for everyone involved (including their own staff) to allow people to make their own reservations ahead of time.  

It is in order to not devalue the option of paying full price for Specialty dining.  If you just book 1 dinner without the package discount, you are able to select the date and time for that reservation.  If UDP folks were able to gobble the preferred times up in CP, then those inclined to pay the premium price for the dinner would be less likely to do it.

It's the tradeoff for having the lower price, those with packages get the reservations left after all reservations are made in CP by those paying the per dinner rate.

This pricing thing makes me crazy.  Pick one standard price and vary discounts as much as you want.  Changing both the price and the discount drives me buggy.  The day before the ‘Memorial Day sale,” the UDP was about $205 per person after a discount.  During the “sale,” the price increased to $265.  I’m fine with variable pricing, but I really wish the base price would remain one number.  It just seems silly to change both the price and the discount all of the time.

I wonder if the increased price has anything to do with the new MDR menu, with no classic options available.  I have seen mostly negative reviews of the menus, though I have not yet experienced them myself.  I can look at the menus and know that there are nights where there is little to nothing that I want to eat.  I used to rely on the classics to fill that gap-oh well.  I only have one Royal cruise booked now.  I may also start exploring other lines.  

The new menus are fine.  

Now they may have an impact on Specialty dining prices for those who don't like them either by experience or expectation.  If more people are demanding Specialty Dining than there are slots for, the price should be adjusted upward until demand curtails to the point where it meets the supply.

On 5/29/2023 at 10:12 AM, Rackham said:

In a multitude of ways, Royal today is reminding me of Walt Disney World in the late 90s-early 2000s. While never cheap, WDW pricing wasn't completely nuts (even if there's a ton of people willing to pay those prices). Then the Walt Disney Company figured out that prices could dramatically increase, and people would still be willing to pay. Royal seems to be going through the same process where they're raising prices, people are still buying, so the price increases once more. It definitely helps Royal in this endeavor with the number of passengers who've never sailed before aboard their ships. These passengers are less likely to understand the sheer volume and choice of food already included in the base fare. They're also more likely to have FOMO if they don't book a specialty package and they have no idea about what the pricing used to be like.

I can very much relate to that analogy.. I went to look at prices for 2024 when they dropped yesterday and while they weren't as bad as I feared they would be, it just amazed me (and makes me feel old!) to compare them to what I used to pay back in the early 2000's. With the old MKC discount I could often get a value resort for as little as $59/night and now those are close to $300/nt. 😵  Even the difference between now and the last time we went, in early 2020, is HUGE thanks to Disney deciding to charge for so many things that were included just 3 years ago. But like you said, people keep paying... Just like I probably will, because.. you know, the pull of The Mouse is strong! 😊

They are going to keep raising prices until they finally see some demand die down. They have to be really careful to not artificially cause the drop in demand by doing this. Once they drive people away, between this and reduced services and myriad other cutbacks, it may be tough to get the casual "once a year" cruisers back. When the value proposition becomes no better than land vacations, they loose perhaps their strongest selling point. And IMO, they are getting there FAST. Right now, all the lines seem to be in a race to see who can offer the least value for money and still get away with it. I hope that in their race to recoup pandemic losses the industry does not cause its own mini-crash in the next few years through sheer hubris. I am kind of sour on the whole industry right now to be honest. It is not nearly the product that it used to be just 1 year ago. I am worried the decline will continue. It's dozens of little things that add up to a much worse experience IMO. I do feel like my loyalty is being taken for granted. It just seemed like Fain had a different value set and it has gradually been shed in the months since his departure.

10 minutes ago, Al Miller said:

They are going to keep raising prices until they finally see some demand die down. They have to be really careful to not artificially cause the drop in demand by doing this. Once they drive people away, between this and reduced services and myriad other cutbacks, it may be tough to get the casual "once a year" cruisers back. When the value proposition becomes no better than land vacations, they loose perhaps their strongest selling point. And IMO, they are getting there FAST. Right now, all the lines seem to be in a race to see who can offer the least value for money and still get away with it. I hope that in their race to recoup pandemic losses the industry does not cause its own mini-crash in the next few years through sheer hubris. I am kind of sour on the whole industry right now to be honest. It is not nearly the product that it used to be just 1 year ago. I am worried the decline will continue. It's dozens of little things that add up to a much worse experience IMO. I do feel like my loyalty is being taken for granted. It just seemed like Fain had a different value set and it has gradually been shed in the months since his departure.

We were on Harmony recently and several people we talked to said the ship was "boring" compared to before.  Activities to do had been cut.  Personally, I enjoyed myself 100%.  I was entertained and had great family time   I do not have a previous RC sailing to compare this sailing to though.  

Looking at the above screenshot, FWIW, just off of Odyssey last Sunday, and I think the UDP surcharge for Teppanyaki was slightly more than $10 - maybe $16 or so, I don't remember the exact amount.  There was an a la carte option at Izumi both times we had lunch there, but we were highly encouraged by the staff to do the prix fixe since we had the UDP.  Fine, of course, but too much food for us for lunch! Seemingly, Johnny off the street could have come in and ordered a few a la carte options with no problem. 

For a 10 night cruise, I think the UDP came out to about $26 pp/day when we booked it around 6 months ago.  In practice, we felt it was a pretty good deal since, because of certain necessities in our itinerary, we dined exclusively at specialties other than a (disappointing, unfortunately) breakfast in the MDR one morning and a handful of room service orders.  It was nice to have the flexibility - in particular, the Chops maître d took good care of us whenever we turned up - with or without a reservation.  

6 hours ago, Xaa said:

The new menus are fine.  

Now they may have an impact on Specialty dining prices for those who don't like them either by experience or expectation.  If more people are demanding Specialty Dining than there are slots for, the price should be adjusted upward until demand curtails to the point where it meets the supply.

@Xaa have you tried the new Menu's? Curious to hear from people who have tried them because I also have just heard a bunch of negative reviews. 

1 hour ago, RFar92 said:

@Xaa have you tried the new Menu's? Curious to hear from people who have tried them because I also have just heard a bunch of negative reviews. 

I have tried them. I think they are decent, very pared down but not worth the very loud negative complaints. In fact, it is not really the menus themselves that cause the most negative reviews, it is temp and service of those menus. Cold, bland, incorrect food is often the issue. To a new or not very seasoned cruiser, as long as the food comes out hot, most will enjoy. 

3 hours ago, asquared17 said:

what the heck.

so is this supposed to make the sushi option on icon more or less appealing??? like are they trying to standardize or stand out??

my mind’s a pretzel 🫠

I think prices are up across the board and they are trying to streamline everything. I think any prepurchase Izumi reservation is going prefix and a la carte will become something else. This is just a guess. I just know that the $35 Izumi credit language has been removed. 

10 hours ago, RFar92 said:

Yes and I like them.  Conceptually I prefer the everyday classic offerings, but in practice it didn't make any big deal to us.  We're not picky eaters and I can think of people I know who might struggle without them.  There were several days that still offered Onion Soup and several with Shrimp Cocktail which are the classics I most often would choose.

There was something, usually at least 2 entrees each night that I really wanted and ordered.  The Indian dishes are really good.  We had no issues with low temperature food, but I suspect there are few menus that can overcome that.

I spotted a glitch in the cruise planner last week for the UDP. Regular price was $199pp and the sale price was $148.99pp. This was $75 less than what I paid. After clicking on it, it said sold out and I was unable to purchase it. However, I called up Royal and was on the phone for an hour. They were unable to refund me, so instead they generously gave me $150 OBC for how much I would have saved.

Now the regular price is $384.99pp with the sale price being $287.99pp.

image.png