Identification for Permanent US Resident

My MIL is coming with us for an Alaska Cruise departing July30 from Vancouver on Brilliance.  I booked her name as shown on her California ID and US Residence card under last name of Leon.  However on her Mexico passport her maiden name of Garcia is shown.  Should I contact RC and have them change the booking name to Garcia or can I just leave as is.

Thank you.

• jim620 changed the title to Identification for Permanent US Resident

Typically, names on the reservation must match the travel documents. If the names do not match, you will need documentation as to why. Why is the name different?  If it is because of marriage for example, you can bring a certified copy of the marriage certificate to show the name change. 

I assume that the passport surname is based on MIL birth name and the ID and Resident Card are based on marriage name.  I'm not sure MIL has a marriage certificate since MIL was married in Mexico.  If I change her name to Garcia then MIL can use the passport to board?

I know if you had the marriage certificate to show the name change, then it would be a no issue.  Given the complexity and that this is now involving three countries, it may be best to call them and verify what you need exactly in your situation.  Considering the US requires both a valid Passport and a Visa or Boarder Crossing Card for Mexican Nationals, it becomes a State Department requirement, and not one from Royal.  Royal Agents are strict when checking travel documents, so you want to make sure you are in compliance before you go and understand what they will accept.  If you are denied boarding because of improper documents, they are under no obligation to refund you.  It sounds like your real issue is what Documents your MIL needs rather than what name to use.  I know it is not the answer you want, but I hope it helps.  Attached is the link for US Customs and Border Patrol and it has a section on what is needed when arriving by sea as a Mexican national.

Border Crossing Card - What documents do I need as a Mexican national to visit the United States? (cbp.gov)

When your MIL enters the US from other forms of travel how has that worked?

When you sail from Vancouver you will pre-clear US customs and immigration as part of the embarking process in Vancouver.   It will work just like it has worked any other time your MIL has entered or re-entered the US when traveling internationally. 

The Royal cruise manifest should match her documentation just like an airline would require her documentation to match her plane ticket.

As DoomSlayer said you have 3 countries involved. I know our government has been messing around with Mexico and visas recently. You might want to check out to see what is also required to enter Canada

https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/visas.asp  

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/visit-canada.html

https://travel.gc.ca/assistance/questions

First link sounds like a passport and US green card might not require one, however if the names don't match you might need something else. Third link provides a phone number

Thanks for all the help.  I emailed RC and got the following response.

We are happy to know that you are planning to be with us onboard the Brilliance of the Seas! Kindly note that you will want your mother-in-law’s name to match the document that she will use to board the ship, in this case her Alien Residence Card (ARC). It is a good idea for her to also have her passport from Mexico with her, though this cannot be substituted for her ARC. If you have further questions, please respond and let us know. For more immediate assistance, you may also feel free to contact Royal Caribbean directly at 800-327-6700. Our agents will be happy to help!

2 hours ago, jim620 said:

Thanks for all the help.  I emailed RC and got the following response.

We are happy to know that you are planning to be with us onboard the Brilliance of the Seas! Kindly note that you will want your mother-in-law’s name to match the document that she will use to board the ship, in this case her Alien Residence Card (ARC). It is a good idea for her to also have her passport from Mexico with her, though this cannot be substituted for her ARC. If you have further questions, please respond and let us know. For more immediate assistance, you may also feel free to contact Royal Caribbean directly at 800-327-6700. Our agents will be happy to help!

Glad they were able to get back with you on this and thanks for sharing their response.  Also, have a wonderful trip!!!  Let us know how the trip goes.  My wife and I are talking about Alaska next summer and would love to hear your thoughts when you get back.

Thank you for all the helpful responses.  This will be our second Alaska trip, first one was with Holland America.  We took our previous one about 15 years ago with our 2 oldest daughters.  This time we are going with our 11 year son and MIL instead.  Should be a fun and hopefully relaxing trip.