Nassau shopping and rum

lollilb

Ok so mainly rum... Lol. 

Not really looking to buy jewellery except maybe a Bahamas Alex and Ani bracelet. What souvenirs would you recommend, if any? And more importantly what is your favourite rum from the islands? I know that's subjective... We like darker rums... Havana Club, Brugal, Santero and golden rums as well. 

Also where would you recommend to buy rum? Many thanks. 

If you are only going to the Bahamas I can't help on the rum.  St Thomas and St Maarten are where I like to buy my rum. About the only thing we buy in Nassau is hot sauce and my wife like Caroloha so she goes there and spends too much for sock.  I did notice last month that they moved a Fat Tuesday down to the main street (Woodes Rodgers Walk).  You can see it from the boat if you don't have another blocking your view.  I like to go there and get 100proof slurpees. 

6 hours ago, arebee said:

If you are only going to the Bahamas I can't help on the rum.  St Thomas and St Maarten are where I like to buy my rum. About the only thing we buy in Nassau is hot sauce and my wife like Caroloha so she goes there and spends too much for sock.  I did notice last month that they moved a Fat Tuesday down to the main street (Woodes Rodgers Walk).  You can see it from the boat if you don't have another blocking your view.  I like to go there and get 100proof slurpees. 

Thanks arebee. Oooh any particular kind of hot sauce? Love Fat Tuesday... Will grab a drink there for sure. Never been to St Thomas or St Maarten... But if they do good rum they're on the "to visit" list :1_grinning:

5 hours ago, blawmtih said:

I used to think I hated rum, then I found Watling's in Nassau.  They make a great pina colada, we picked up two bottles of the amber and a bottle of the Buena Vista aged rum.  The Buena Vista goes great with a cigar. 

They're on the list! Thanks :11_blush:

1 hour ago, lollilb said:

Thanks arebee. Oooh any particular kind of hot sauce? Love Fat Tuesday... Will grab a drink there for sure. Never been to St Thomas or St Maarten... But if they do good rum they're on the "to visit" list :1_grinning:

They're on the list! Thanks :11_blush:

Nothing in particular.   There is a store (actually several) that sell all kinds of hot sauce.  Take a chance and just grab a couple.  In St Thomas, the shopping on the pier there is a liquor store that sells Bones rum.  I usually get 4 to 6 bottles when I'm there.  Bones also have a store on the main drag along the water, there they have slurpee machines where you pick what flavor you want then they set the bottle of run on the bar and say help yourself.  Yup, been there a couple times.

43 minutes ago, arebee said:

Nothing in particular.   There is a store (actually several) that sell all kinds of hot sauce.  Take a chance and just grab a couple.  In St Thomas, the shopping on the pier there is a liquor store that sells Bones rum.  I usually get 4 to 6 bottles when I'm there.  Bones also have a store on the main drag along the water, there they have slurpee machines where you pick what flavor you want then they set the bottle of run on the bar and say help yourself.  Yup, been there a couple times.

I think arebee should change his board name to "TheRumRunner" :27_sunglasses:

On 2017-6-14 at 11:05 PM, arebee said:

Thanks. We love hot sauces so will make sure and get some. Thanks for the tips... If we make it to St Thomas I'll be sure and grab some in your honour ?

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/14/2017 at 6:05 PM, arebee said:

In St Thomas, the shopping on the pier there is a liquor store that sells Bones rum.  I usually get 4 to 6 bottles when I'm there.  Bones also have a store on the main drag along the water, there they have slurpee machines where you pick what flavor you want then they set the bottle of run on the bar and say help yourself.  Yup, been there a couple times.

I was a consumer judge at the Miami Rum Fest; Bones entered their rum and it was one of my favorites.  Unfortunately my next cruise skips St. Thomas so I won't be able to pick up any.

Sorry, not Bahamas-related, but we are going to Labadee/Falmouth/Cozumel in January.  Will I be able to find some Ron Zacapa for a good price at any of those destinations?

Oh, and what about tequila?  What is the best value, I assume in Cozumel?

For rum, Labadee -no, at least not that I've ever found since it belongs to RC.  Falmouth there is a nice liquor store inside the compound that might have some Ron (might not be Xo).  Can't remember if I ever saw any (I usually look for stuff I can't find in the states).  Cozumel, you can get tequila.   After all, it is Mexico...

On 6/14/2017 at 11:02 AM, blawmtih said:

I used to think I hated rum, then I found Watling's in Nassau.  They make a great pina colada, we picked up two bottles of the amber and a bottle of the Buena Vista aged rum.  The Buena Vista goes great with a cigar. 

I would also recommend Watling's - I visited them in February and had a great time. Best pina colada I've ever had! They also make a really cool vodka from sugar cane. 

7 hours ago, Floski said:

Sorry, not Bahamas-related, but we are going to Labadee/Falmouth/Cozumel in January.  Will I be able to find some Ron Zacapa for a good price at any of those destinations?

Oh, and what about tequila?  What is the best value, I assume in Cozumel?

I got some repesado Fogonero (didn't know what else to try) from Chile Tequila right there in the port shopping area.  They also had various flavored tequilas (strawberry and kiwi are the only two I remember).  I ended up getting a bottle of kiwi (actually has seeds in the bottle).

On 6/14/2017 at 5:05 PM, arebee said:

Ok...that sounds way fun!  Jane