Non refundable deposit clarification

With the latest change to suite deposits I wanted to better understand the non refundable deposit. I thought that any cancellation led to a total forfeiture of the deposit but I have seen on a thread somewhere on here that a portion can be placed on another sailing. How does that work and are there restrictions on which sailings and when those sailings have to take place. FYI I understand the change in the suite deposits and what may have necessitated it and am not ranting about that. I just want to better understand what will happen upon any necessary cancellations should the need arise.

Nonrefundable deposit are forfeited if you cancel. Suites have been Nonrefundable for a while now.

If you change a sailing you must pay a $100 change fee. If your deposit was $250 then $150 will go towards the new sailing. If you utilized NextCruise then it will take your whole deposit to cover the change fee. There aren't restrictions on types of sailings, ships, etc.

4 minutes ago, Ampurp85 said:

Nonrefundable deposit are forfeited if you cancel. Suites have been Nonrefundable for a while now.

If you change a sailing you must pay a $100 change fee. If your deposit was $250 then $150 will go towards the new sailing. If you utilized NextCruise then it will take your whole deposit to cover the change fee. There aren't restrictions on types of sailings, ships, etc.

Thank you. I never plan on canceling (look much to forward to it😜), but good to know I will just loose $100 if I schedule another sailing, and why wouldn’t I! I knew all were non refundable but I can live with being able to place on another reservation. Many thanks for explaining.

1 hour ago, Ampurp85 said:

Jr Suites still had refundable option if one paid a premium for that option.  That will go away.  The other suites have not had the refundable deposits offered for some time now.

9 hours ago, Ampurp85 said:

This has been my understanding of the policy up to now.  I will say that in the past I have changed the ship/sail date on a number of cruises and the $100 change fee was not forfeited, which was nice.

With the new 10% suite deposit policy I have not seen confirmation that there is still only a $100 change fee. With the drastic changes that RCG has been implementing I wonder if the change fee might increase?

21 minutes ago, Galveston Steve said:

This has been my understanding of the policy up to now.  I will say that in the past I have changed the ship/sail date on a number of cruises and the $100 change fee was not forfeited, which was nice.

With the new 10% suite deposit policy I have not seen confirmation that there is still only a $100 change fee. With the drastic changes that RCG has been implementing I wonder if the change fee might increase?

I changed my sailing before they got stricter and did not pay any fees. Under the cruise with confidence banner, you had window that let you avoid the fees, I believe it was until like March 31st of 2022.

As far as the change fee, I don't think they will change it any time soon......hopefully not. People paying those Icon prices has Royal behaving very bold. 

16 hours ago, Ampurp85 said:

As far as the change fee, I don't think they will change it any time soon

They make a lot of money on change and cancellation fees! I don't see them changing that.

I am disappointed in the higher deposit price, it's a lot easier to swallow losing $250 per person than $1000 per person, but again, Royal Caribbean will make money hand over fist on this. 

36 minutes ago, Sharla said:

They make a lot of money on change and cancellation fees! I don't see them changing that.

I am disappointed in the higher deposit price, it's a lot easier to swallow losing $250 per person than $1000 per person, but again, Royal Caribbean will make money hand over fist on this. 

$1,000 per person deposit would require a cruise fare that is $10,000 per person, after discounts. 

If that is where Royal cruise fares are heading I need to find another cruise line 🙂

18 hours ago, Galveston Steve said:

Over at CC a TA there claims his inside contact told him that suites will not have the $100 pp change fee available to them.  100% of suite deposit forfeited upon any change to ship or sail date, or cancellation. 

17 minutes ago, twangster said:

$1,000 per person deposit would require a cruise fare that is $10,000 per person, after discounts. 

If that is where Royal cruise fares are heading I need to find another cruise line 🙂

It happens on suites- Ult Fam Suite - $42K . Had they booked next month it would be a $4200 NRD deposit - double what they paid in March. That's a chunk of change!

3 minutes ago, Sharla said:

It happens on suites- Ult Fam Suite - $42K . Had they booked next month it would be a $4200 NRD deposit - double what they paid in March. That's a chunk of change!

I'm not saying thee aren't any such cabins,  just not that many across the fleet.

For those types of suites I can see why Royal need to do this.  If someone cancels the UFS at day 91 that could be really difficult for Royal to sell. 

Seriously if I am paying $42k for a suite then a $4.2k deposit isn't a problem.

1 minute ago, twangster said:

I'm not saying thee aren't any such cabins,  just not that many across the fleet.

For those types of suites I can see why Royal need to do this.  If someone cancels the UFS at day 91 that could be really difficult for Royal to sell. 

Seriously if I am paying $42k for a suite then a $4.2k deposit isn't a problem.

Yeah, I get it! And while I would love to have that in clients or for me personally it's a lot of money! But you have to pay it eventually anyway.

2 hours ago, twangster said:

Over at CC a TA there claims his inside contact told him that suites will not have the $100 pp change fee available to them.  100% of suite deposit forfeited upon any change to ship or sail date, or cancellation. 

I saw that too. Or rather a CC friend texted me while I was at work to tell me that. This has me worried. I am not due to drop a bunch on new bookings until the next release (Fall) so I sure hope it's all cleared up and clarified by then. And I really hope that "verbal confirmation" that TA got is not correct once the dust has settled.

18 hours ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

I saw that too. Or rather a CC friend texted me while I was at work to tell me that. This has me worried. I am not due to drop a bunch on new bookings until the next release (Fall) so I sure hope it's all cleared up and clarified by then. And I really hope that "verbal confirmation" that TA got is not correct once the dust has settled.

I have not seen this policy yet, but that doesn't mean it is or isn't true. If I find out I will post.