Security / Customs changes in Cozumel

I just returned from a trip on Allure and noticed the changes to security at the port in Cozumel.  Last March, we simply went to the boat from the port and went through the ships metal detectors there.  This time, in May, they had us go through security onshore at the port and it seemed much more intense.  The even were shaking our water bottles to make sure the bubbles acted like the should in water as opposed to alcohol.  We returned to the ship early, so we did not experience any real delays from the new security measures, but I am curious if it caused some delays as people lined up closer to all aboard time.  I did like the fact that I did not have to go through security and metal detectors again once we got to the boat.

2 minutes ago, Ryan79 said:

Ditto for January. It felt VERY much like going through TSA security at the airport.

That is the way it felt for me too -- no complaints, just observation.  But it is weird that is different at times because like I said, security was done at the ship when we were there for spring break in March.  I've been to Cozumel about 12 times now, and only once (this past week) have I experienced this.  Sounds like this is not necessarily a new thing based on @smokeybandit and @Ryan79, but more about timing.

In Cozumel you go through pier security twice. Once when you get off the ship and are about to enter the shoppings areas. And then again leaving the shopping areas and a much more thorough look see. 

The check entering the port is to make sure you are not bringing food off the ship or illegally importing merchandise (ie: a case of new iPhones).

The second check is an examination for cultural effects. Making sure nobody is taking souvenirs off of Mayan heritage sites. Or, nobody is taking pieces of the Palancar Reef to adorn their bathroom.

These checks have nothing to do with the cruise lines or their regulations. 

7 minutes ago, bobroo said:

In Cozumel you go through pier security twice. Once when you get off the ship and are about to enter the shoppings areas. And then again leaving the shopping areas and a much more thorough look see. 

The check entering the port is to make sure you are not bringing food off the ship or illegally importing merchandise (ie: a case of new iPhones).

The second check is an examination for cultural effects. Making sure nobody is taking souvenirs off of Mayan heritage sites. Or, nobody is taking pieces of the Palancar Reef to adorn their bathroom.

These checks have nothing to do with the cruise lines or their regulations. 

I am only talking about the area between the shopping area and the pier here, not outside the terminal where you leave the shopping area.  Just trying to understand why sometimes, security is done when returning to the ship, and sometimes it is done right at the beginning of the pier before reaching the ship.  It just seems inconsistent to me based on my personal experiences, and other's experiences shared so far.

54 minutes ago, DoomSlayer said:

Interesting.  We were there in early December and it was not like that.  I wonder what decides when they do security at the port verses ship?

How many RCL ships were at the pier? I could see if they have 3 or 4 and they were all from the RCL might be easier to do it at the port (would probably take less crew members)

1 minute ago, tjcruisers said:

How many RCL ships were at the pier? I could see if they have 3 or 4 and they were all from the RCL might be easier to do it at the port (would probably take less crew members)

Good point.  Allure and Voyager were in port when I was there last week.  When I was there last March, it was only Adventure.  And I think it was only Adventure when I was there last December too, but I may be wrong there.

1 hour ago, tjcruisers said:

I've noticed the change on several cruises going back to last summer.  On the other hand, I was there earlier this month and we were checked at the ship. The only noticeable difference was the number of ships in port. This month we were the only ship at the International pier. In fact, we were the only ship in all of Cozumel!

The TSA style stop before going to the ship has to do with how many ships and what size are in the port at that time. If only one small ship is in then they do not bother with the stop and let the ship do the screening. If there are multiple ships, especially if one is an Oasis class ship or larger, then they add the stop and screening inside the port. Makes for a faster entry onto the ship and not a total backup outside in the elements. There are more X-Ray machines in the port and they can queue more people at a time. I do notice that they are a little stricter than on the ship. Stopped us on one trip for a few seashells gathered on the beach. Told us we had to purchase cleaned shell from a local vendor and not pick them up ourselves. 🤔