Safety in Ensenada

Has anyone ever had a port at Ensenada cancelled for safety reasons? If so, where were you rerouted?

We're scheduled to go on a weekend cruise in August and theres a port day in Ensenada. With the recent mass shooting from cartels, I wonder if there will less appetite for this port. We've been here before and it was never our favorite port to begin with, but with the rampant violence we're thinking that staying aboard might be what we opt to do. Seeing as its the only port for this short weekend cruise it would be a bit disappointing.

I was in Ensenada on a cruise in November.  The port was very safe and the local take care of you.  I have been going to Ensenada for the last 40 years and have never had an issue.  There are parts of Mexico that you have to be careful and not travel to but Ensenada and Cobo are not those areas.  I am going on the NCL Ensenada cruise in July and November.

The cartels that operate near and around the cruise port (Compton, Torrance, South Central) are where you might get killed or worse.

Anywhere in Mexico will be a comparative carefree relief of safety.

In Ensenada I recommend going straight to Hussong’s and using a barstool for three or four hours. 

Thanks all for the input. This last weekend where 10 people were killed and 9 more shot and injured at the races in Ensenada seemed to be more random than targeted. The videos that are floating around of this is clearly shocking and shows the gunmen firing wildly into the crowds. It's really too bad that the government lacks control over the violence there.  

3 minutes ago, YoungFamilyExplorers said:

The videos that are floating around of this is clearly shocking and shows the gunmen firing wildly into the crowds. It's really too bad that the government lacks control over the violence there.  

Wait, are we talking about Mexico or the USA? 

I'll await my deletion 🙂

If there are still any nonbelievers that a human being is safer in Mexico than in the United States, I'd be happy to provide fatality examples that have happened SINCE last weekend (starting with the school shooting we narrowly avoided last Friday near Phoenix).

Also worth mentioning is Mexicos total ban on smoking in public places. This ban includes all forms of smoking advertisement. Their notion of private property is a bit different so the ban applies to all beaches and resorts. 

I live in Mexico, and I totally understand when tourist feels uneasy or insecure coming here after seeing terrible news like this. 

However (and not trying to play down this tragedy) the recent reports suggest that this was a confrontation between criminal groups.

As others have pointed, criminal groups rarely targets tourist. 

However, recently just before a FOS cruise on Miami on spring break, my wife and I where eating in South Beach when we were caught in the middle of what looked like a gang fight with guns involved, luckily no shots were fired but this happened right next to us, obviously I would feel uneasy coming back to SB any time soon. So I could understand If someone would prefer staying on the ship when visiting a Mexican port of call.