Eastern or Western Caribbean?

Matt

Since eastern and western Caribbean itineraries are so common for Royal Caribbean, which of the two do you prefer?  Or better yet, if you could go on a Royal Caribbean cruise today and had to pick, which would you pick and why?

I feel like both offer something different. Eastern is certainly the most traveled path. You'll most likely end up at islands with lots of other cruise related traffic. But that is not to say that you won't see another ship while doing the Western route either.

Having been to St. Maarten, St. Thomas, and Puerto Rico many times, it was refreshing to do the Western route for something different. I really liked Grand Cayman. It had a totally different feel to it. I could tell there was a lot of money (major Caribbean banking center) there, as there were lots of fancy cars around and most of the locals had jobs and were working during the day.

Mexico was typical and what I saw was what I had expected, only the charm Mexico can provide. Although I still feel that parts of Mexico can be very dangerous to go to or travel through. And I will say that danger lurks on all the Caribbean islands (and throughout the world) but some feel safer than others.

I like St. Thomas (love a bar called Palm Passage) and i like St. Maarten (Maho beach is incredible) on the Eastern itinerary.  I really enjoy Cozumel (we always go to Mr. Sanchos and drink lots of tequila) on the Western itinerary.  Jamaica is not my favorite port.  Sooo, I guess I prefer Eastern!

• 9 years later...

It really depends on which islands you get and which ship you get.  Eastern or Western can mean many different things  I prefer an itinerary which includes San Juan and Grand Turk.  I love Cayman, but there can be as many as 6 ships in there each day in the middle of the week.  I don't get the fascination with Cozomel.  I wouldn't avoid a cruise that goes there, but it's not a great port in my mind.

The sweet spot is finding a ship you want combined with a nice itinerary.  

• 2 weeks later...

I like the Eastern better. The islands are much prettier.  It's been a while since I have done western, but I've had a few friends that have gone on that side and I would give it another shot.  Just don't think you can beat the Virgin Islands.  I've never been disappointed by any of the ports.  Some disappointments with some Western as far as a few excursions I took weren't as good as anticipated.