Amsterdam Cruisd Port & Airport Question

We are cruising on Jewel of the Seas in July this year. I have a question when flying out of Amsterdam. Our airline (Delta) changed our flight to leaving at 10:35a.m. For those that have flown out of Amsterdam to the USA before, do you think will we have enough time to make our flight? We are planning on walking off with our own luggage and getting off as soon as they open the gangway. 

On 5/20/2023 at 7:07 PM, Crystal725 said:

We are cruising on Jewel of the Seas in July this year. I have a question when flying out of Amsterdam. Our airline (Delta) changed our flight to leaving at 10:35a.m. For those that have flown out of Amsterdam to the USA before, do you think will we have enough time to make our flight? We are planning on walking off with our own luggage and getting off as soon as they open the gangway. 

Welcome to the boards!

If last summer was any indication of the crowds at Schiphol, there is zero chance you will make that flight. We were in business class and one of our party was in a wheelchair (so expedited security) and it took us nearly two hours to get through to the gate. 

4 minutes ago, KristiZ said:

If last summer was any indication of the crowds at Schiphol, there is zero chance you will make that flight. We were in business class and one of our party was in a wheelchair (so expedited security) and it took us nearly two hours to get through to the gate. 

Last summer was different. Europe was an absolute mess when it came to staffing at airports, and it has improved. Having flown out of AMS both last summer and over the last couple of months, it's much better. 

THAT BEING SAID...I would not be comfortable with a 10:35am departure to the US. Seeing as Amsterdam is almost a hub for Delta (not quite true, but it's a big outstation considering their partnership with KLM), there are a lot of Delta flights and I would personally be trying to find something a bit later. 

European airports as a whole are not as smooth running as US (and the US is frequently a hot mess).  Expect longer delays getting thru security. 

Also, having TSA-Pre or Global Entry will NOT help departing passengers in Europe only arrival in the US as they are US Customs and Border Protection systems.  While there are some exceptions and locations that participate, Amsterdam is not one of them.

Just travelled through Schiphol 2 weeks ago. Compared to passage through that airport in October 2021, it is much improved. However, the airport is huge and I found it difficult to navigate with confusing terminal and gate directions. Delta check in is in Terminal 1. Make sure your driver (I assume you will be using a taxi or Uber) drops you off at the entrance to that terminal. If that happens and if I remember correctly, Delta's check in lines will be in view from the entrance where you walk in to terminal 1. Expect a taxi fare to be between E60 - E70 and takes 20-30 minutes from the cruise terminal to the airport. You can use a credit card.

You need to arrive at Schiphol 3h before your departure time - you may use all of that time or you may not. It all depends on how busy it is. Therefore, unless you can walk off the ship between 6 and 6:30am start looking for a later flight. We were on Celebrity Apex and there were walk-off times as early as 6AM. Unfortunately, the walk off times are determined by ship's staff based on Customs protocols the day of arrival. You won't be able to determine your walk-off time until they are announced onboard ship a day or two before your arrival. If you sailed from a non-Schengen country to Amsterdam, you will have to go through Immigration. I doubt you'll have to deal with that and if you do it's a breeze.  

Schiphol has installed an automated baggage drop and this is located to the right of the Delta counters. I recommend you not use these. Tote your bags to the Delta agent counters and drop them off there. The automated system can be finnicky weighing your bag and scanning your boarding pass to get luggage tags and you don't want to be messing around with that. Make sure your checked bags are < 50 pounds. if the weight is 51 pounds you'll pay extra and it's over $100US. I think Delta wants you to get your boarding pass before you drop your luggage with an agent, not sure but your line will be shorter if you already have your boarding pass. There are Kiosks to do that but they are not directly in front of the Delta counters. They are to your right a ways (go figure).

Once you're checked in and have your boarding pass in hand you'll proceed to security. Make sure you know your flight's gate. Ask the agent which security you should go through for that gate and get specific directions. I believe you'll access security, one level up. Access to that level  is directly behind Delta's counters. It is not at all clear for first timers that you have to proceed through a gated area then ride escalators up to pass through security. You'll scan your boarding pass to open a gate - there are lots of them so look for those gates and head that way.  Once you get to security the lines move very quickly. Schiphol has a very cool partly automated security area and employees guiding passengers to the best line. Once cleared through security, follow the signs to your gate. It will seem like you have to walk for miles and you probably will. Good luck