Yay! I'm Diamond!

D Alt

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, VillainsGin said:

I'm trying to work out the math but how did you get diamond status with only 7 cruise sailings?

Teach me the ways!

If they sailed in suites during the restart or just during the restart when it was double points it was doable. I made D+ in 10 sailings by sailing solo, in suites and getting double points for half those sailings. I sailed in suites 3 times with double points so it 26+28+28, then I sailed solo 7 times in interiors and balconies with half also being double points. 

8 hours ago, Ampurp85 said:

If they sailed in suites during the restart or just during the restart when it was double points it was doable. I made D+ in 10 sailings by sailing solo, in suites and getting double points for half those sailings. I sailed in suites 3 times with double points so it 26+28+28, then I sailed solo 7 times in interiors and balconies with half also being double points. 

I never considered them sailing in suites so that would make sense, although how do people normally afford suites? Are they really paying out of pocket because the price seems absurd especially if sailing alone or do people sail in suites via comps/discounts? I sailed in a suite once when I got extremely lucky with a royal bid.

1 hour ago, VillainsGin said:

I never considered them sailing in suites so that would make sense, although how do people normally afford suites? Are they really paying out of pocket because the price seems absurd especially if sailing alone or do people sail in suites via comps/discounts? I sailed in a suite once when I got extremely lucky with a royal bid.

Everyone spends their money the way they see fit.  There will always be someone wealthier and always someone poorer.  

Here’s a non-cruise personal example: A long time friend of mine (48 years) just bought a top of the line GMC pickup with the Duramax diesel engine.   I can’t fathom spending that much on a vehicle, but he’s happy.  He and his wife can’t imagine paying for 3-5 cruises a year, but we’re happy.

We reached Diamond earlier than expected thanks to the double points promotion during the pandemic.  We mostly stay in Inside Cabins.   People thought we were insane for cruising during that time, but we were happy.  

2 hours ago, VillainsGin said:

The suite prices now are much higher than they were during the 21/22 cruising season. There was a ton of deals back then. But also, as I said just sailing solo during the double points was a boon. 7N in an interior would net you 21points, so after 4 sailings you could be diamond. 

Each person has their own value, and some people can easily afford suites and justify paying those prices. 

2 hours ago, VillainsGin said:

As someone who has ended up sailing exclusively in suites (not snobs I swear...just....like to splurge) we afford it by only sailing once a year. And before the restart and better jobs for us we actually only sailed once every 18 months. So we saved up between cruises. Thanks to suites and two doubled point restart cruises, we made Diamond in 5 cruises.

And we aren't wealthy by any standard. Upper working class/low middle class at best.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 8/24/2023 at 10:57 AM, VillainsGin said:

Thanks for all the insight on how everyone books their suites and how they got to diamond. By no means was I trying to police how people spend their money or judge, it was just genuine curiosity perhaps not portrayed properly through text!

It's a very fair question.  For us, we chose to not have children and we both worked from a young age until mid 50s for one and early 60s for the other.  We have splurged on some nice travel (non-cruise) over the years, but chose to spend a little less in other areas (dining out, clothing, cars, etc.).  Basically, tried to live below what we could maybe afford.  Now, as we see our travel years slowing down at some point (hopefully not for 10-15 years) we are spending some money that we've been able to accumulate over time.  We're hooked on suites following the COVID shutdown, but some day we will probably go back to balconies in order to do more or longer cruises than we currently do.  As teddy said, everyone spends their money the way they see fit.