Stingray City-Antigua

BigHouseFootball

I haven't done Stingray City in Antigua, but I have in Grand Cayman.  What are you terrified of?  The stingrays themselves?  They are very docile and I've never seen or heard of any incident.  Here's a pic of my son, 7 at the time, holding a stingray.

DavidStingRay.jpg

We did that excursion years ago and it was fun! What was interesting was to see all the stingrays swim into the area when the skiffs ties up to the floating dock. They knew it was feeding time. As Brian said above, they are very docile and agile swimmers. Go for it, you will have fun, and don't forget to buy a t-shirt so you tell tell your friends back home "been there, done that".:27_sunglasses:

Swimming with the sting rays is really an incredible experience.  I have done it twice - once in Grand Cayman (best one, IMO) and in Cozumel where they are not "open water" sting rays but inside of an enclosed area.

Look at the joy on Brian's son's face !  It's so wonderful to experience new things...especially when you are so young and everything is so exciting.

I've done Sting Ray City in Grand Cayman (long ago) and I don't recall any of the rays having barbs on their tails. In fact, I remember noticing specifically that the barbs were missing and wondering if the tour organizers had pulled the barbs off.  I realize this is open ocean and rays can come from anywhere, but that is my recollection.  At any rate, I felt perfectly safe.   My son was also young at the time (maybe 11 or 12) and he leaped right in.  It isn't deep and really is a lot of fun.  They are so over-fed they never bite/suction anyone.  I put food right into a ray's mouth. Recommended.  You will love it.

My wife and I did this one last year. There is almost no chance of getting 'stung' by a ray. They explained to us how it can happen and the main reason is scaring the ray. (Like stepping on it). We had a great time. The guides help my wife hold a ray for pictures. Yes you can take your own camera. It is one of the best pictures from the cruise.