Johnny Rockets

Miltownmom

How are the Johnny Rockets on RC? We had one here locally that closed. It was alright. It was fun with the music and dancing and so forth, but the food was just average at best. After a while, when the novelty wore off, the lack of quality food, wasn't enough.

I just got off the Explorer and on a port day decided to go to Johnny Rocket's about 3 pm. I ordered a cheese burger and fries, had a Coke with me. I noticed that burger patties were sitting on the left side of the grill, half cooked and just left sitting out. My fries were brought out first, they were cold and soggy. When the burger arrived it was barely warm and I watched the cook take the patty off of the six burgers laying on the grill. I told the waiter I didn't want the burger and the fries were cold. I still had to sign for the ticket but went to Guest Services and got the charge removed. I talked to the Restaurant Manager and he explained there was not suppose to be hamburger patties sitting on the grill to be warmed up to serve passengers. Johnny Rocket's is suppose to be fresh food and he apologized. I won't try them again.

Candie

We went once for food on Freedom, not expecting a gourmet burger, so for what it is, it's good.  There's no singing and dancing (that we saw).  My wife loves milkshakes (they were free with our C&A discount), so we went back just for that later in the week.  We had no issues with food.  Sounds like firegal ended up with a lazy worker, which is too bad.

We met a worker from Russia who loved working on the ship, and was trying to work her way up the chain, so she had to work at each restaurant to get the experience needed.  We ran into her in port one day and chatted with her, then went back to JR on our last day to say goodbye.  She cared about her work, and the customer being satisfied.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/11/2017 at 11:38 AM, FManke said:

How are the Johnny Rockets on RC? We had one here locally that closed. It was alright. It was fun with the music and dancing and so forth, but the food was just average at best. After a while, when the novelty wore off, the lack of quality food, wasn't enough.

The food at JR's is nothing special. When I first started cruising it was 4.95. Now it is 7.95. The quality hasn't gone up to justify the increase in the price. Many would argue it was gone down.

RCI is getting their you know what  handed to them by Carnvial in the burger joint ... Guy Fieri's burger place on Carnival ships is apparently AMAZING and it is INCLUDED. Rave reviews about it across the board while JR has seen a steady decrease in quality and increase in negative feedback.

I might add- I'm a burger snob. I try high end burgers whenever I can. I'm  not opposed to paying 20 bucks for a burger and fries as long as the quality is there.

Yes- you do get decent "value" for 8 bucks with the fries and onion rings ( frings as we call them in Canada, clever, right?) and a burger but overall JR's is lacking quality.

Ok so its not a 5 star burger but i still think its great fun and the burgers are good.

The problems occur (like many chain restaurants) when they change chefs. You can go in on a Tuesday and lets call him Noddy is cooking and the burgers are amazing and you give it great reviews but then you go in on Wednesday and crappy Jo who hates his job and cant really cook is on the grill and WAM its the worst place in the world and down go the reviews. If they could find a way to keep a high level cook who knows how to cook a great burger there at all times it would stay consistent but hey we all know that's not going to happen. 

One thing i am going to try on the Navigator next month is a burger for lunch in Chops , now surely that has to be a great burger. Can anyone fill me in on that as if it's not good i wont bother. 

I actually liked the food at Johnny rockets.  The fries and onion rings were great and the burger was cooked well.   I think after a week of eating steak and other more gourmet fare,  i was ready to slum it and eat a burger.   It was also an easy place to finally meet up with my 13 year old and grab a late lunch that wasn't buffet food.   Jane

17 hours ago, mom2mybugs said:

I actually liked the food at Johnny rockets.  The fries and onion rings were great and the burger was cooked well.   I think after a week of eating steak and other more gourmet fare,  i was ready to slum it and eat a burger.   It was also an easy place to finally meet up with my 13 year old and grab a late lunch that wasn't buffet food.   Jane

Love that, that's what it's all about good fun family time 

2 hours ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

Advice:  Do not wait until the last sea day to do JR.  We were on NAV for Christmas last year and made that mistake.  HUGE line and it nearly came to fisticuffs when a lady thought she was being dissed by the gent who was trying to organize the waiting list.

I think it depends on time of day too...we went early and had maybe a 5 minute wait on that last sea day.   I think our best time was dinner when we came back from the beach in aruba...we ate a late dinner right before sail away...no lines and didn't have a long dinner in mdr.  Jane

5 hours ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

It also makes a big difference which ship class you are on.  The JR on the O class has a much bigger capacity (with the outside seating) than the Voyager Class does.  Even though they have outdoor seating on the V class, it's not nearly as comfortable as the indoor seating and I don't ever see it being used that much.

OOOOHHH the O Class :17_heart_eyes: maybe one day a man can dream.

14 hours ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

It also makes a big difference which ship class you are on.  The JR on the O class has a much bigger capacity (with the outside seating) than the Voyager Class does.  Even though they have outdoor seating on the V class, it's not nearly as comfortable as the indoor seating and I don't ever see it being used that much.

On the Voyager class the seats outside never seem to get any sun and the wind always whips through as the ship is moving. Not very nice at all for al fresco dining.

Maybe the the sun is on the wrong side in the Southern Hemisphere ?

1 hour ago, Orange Crush said:

Can you go to JR for just a milkshake, or do you have to pay the cover charge no matter what?

On Quantum Class ships you can, but other ships it's cover charge or bust.  JR does have a takeout option, so you might be able to ask wait staff about your scenario.  Nothing to lose.

On 7/2/2017 at 4:39 AM, constable145 said:

The food at JR's is nothing special. When I first started cruising it was 4.95. Now it is 7.95. The quality hasn't gone up to justify the increase in the price. Many would argue it was gone down.

RCI is getting their you know what  handed to them by Carnvial in the burger joint ... Guy Fieri's burger place on Carnival ships is apparently AMAZING and it is INCLUDED. Rave reviews about it across the board while JR has seen a steady decrease in quality and increase in negative feedback.

Guy's Burgers on Carnival are amazing and better than what Johnny Rockets serves. In addition, it's included in the fare. They also have a BBQ place and a burrito/taco bar, all complimentary, which puts them ahead of Royal in terms of "deck food," in my opinion. However, after trying the specialty burger on Princess for $5, I have to say the while the Princess burger was much better than Johnny Rockets, I tip my hat to JR for value as the price includes a soft drink, fries and onion rings, plus dessert.  The $5 only got me the burger.