Applying for Passport issue

I would keep at it as well as Check the State Departments web site for other possible locations. It might be a drive but most major cities have more locations. 

Other than that I would be prepared to have alternate proof of citizenship. Combination of State ID / Drivers License and Govt Birth Certificate (not a hospital issued) are usable for cruise travel to Mexico and the Caribbean. 

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/how-apply/where-to-apply.html

Never had to do it at a post office.

Its all on-line. Instructions, forms to fill out etc. Recommend someone that does passport photos (drug stores etc.) to get it just right. Your application will be rejected if the photo is not right.

Once your forms, photo, ID (birth certificate, check are all together, package it in a proper envelope or mailer, send it to the passport office, certified.

If everything is correct, you will get your passport and birth certificate back. Usually quicker than they advertise.

Make sure you get all your info from a dot gov website. There are fakes out there and many sites that want to charge you for filing for a passport. These are called 'Couriers'. You do not need them. DonR posted the link above.

Also on the government site, they offer expedited service but there may be an additional fee.

39 minutes ago, Ditchdoc said:

Never had to do it at a post office.

Its all on-line. 

If you need to fill out a DS-11 (for example, if it's your first passport or some other reasons), you need to apply in person and most of those in-person facilities are post offices. 

My first passport was done by mail. Had to send my birth certificate but it was returned with the passport. Granted, its been a few years. 

I would think these newer drivers license with "real ID" would be good. I'm not so sure about driving around while your license is in the mail though.

31 minutes ago, Ditchdoc said:

I would think these newer drivers license with "real ID" would be good. 

It is not. DS-11 does not allow for a "Real ID" to take the place of a birth certificate or other citizenship documentation. This is because the Real ID does not prove citizenship, because lawful permanent residents can get one (whereas they cannot get a passport unless they become citizens). 

21 minutes ago, EddieC said:

According to the website we have to apply in person, I found that we can go to the City/County building and do it, I just don’t  want to drive into the city. 😖

If you have to apply in person, and you want a passport, and your post office isn't being cooperative, then you may just have to drive into the city.  Sometimes we have to do things we aren't thrilled with to get the result we want.  Does it have to be YOUR post office?  Maybe a different nearby one would have more flexibility.

25 minutes ago, Zacharius said:

It is not. DS-11 does not allow for a "Real ID" to take the place of a birth certificate or other citizenship documentation. This is because the Real ID does not prove citizenship, because lawful permanent residents can get one (whereas they cannot get a passport unless they become citizens). 

I see, makes sense.

18 minutes ago, SpeedNoodles said:

Does it have to be YOUR post office?  Maybe a different nearby one would have more flexibility.

I’ve made appointments at 4 different POs in the last 2 weeks they all were canceled the morning of, so it looks like our first excursion is going to be heading into the city. 😅

5 hours ago, EddieC said:

According to the website we have to apply in person, I found that we can go to the City/County building and do it, I just don’t  want to drive into the city. 😖

Government in action. Sorry to hear this is your only option. You'll probably have much better luck there as I would expect they have dedicated people for passports whereas the post office it's a secondary duty.

I got passport renewals for both my kids after my daughter turned 16 so that she won't have to do it in person next time and we did it all at the post office including the pictures.

I renewed mine as soon as I could during the online test pilot program or whatever they had a few months back. Glad I did, I hear these type stories all over now.

My understanding is they have ceased doing the entire process online now, not sure if that is still the case.

Just did the renewal..downloaded forms, Staples for pics (walk-in no appt. needed), sent in old ones, just got new ones in the mail (6 weeks total time) non-expedited service. Originally told 13 to 16 weeks, maybe cause we don't have any criminal history..yet..haha.

On 5/13/2023 at 4:09 AM, InmyElement said:

Just did the renewal..downloaded forms, Staples for pics (walk-in no appt. needed), sent in old ones, just got new ones in the mail (6 weeks total time) non-expedited service. Originally told 13 to 16 weeks, maybe cause we don't have any criminal history..yet..haha.

Thanks for the info!  We just did an in person application for our daughters on Tuesday (they are only 9 so it had to be in person), hoping theirs doesn't take too long.  We don't need them until September for their next cruise, but it certainly takes stress off to get them sooner rather than the 10-13 weeks they are estimating (last time we did passports 2 out of 4 kids' photos got sent back with instructions that they needed to be retaken.  Thankfully we had started them early enough that we still had plenty of time before the cruise!).