buying Cigars in Nassau

Just one thing to keep in mind - if you're looking to buy "Cuban" cigars in Nassau, keep in mind that most in any area you likely go to will be fake, or at least much lower quality than you are looking for. They know there's a market for Americans, and they're happy to bamboozle them. So you may want to do a bit of research on where to buy legit ones. 

50 minutes ago, Zacharius said:

Just one thing to keep in mind - if you're looking to buy "Cuban" cigars in Nassau, keep in mind that most in any area you likely go to will be fake, or at least much lower quality than you are looking for. They know there's a market for Americans, and they're happy to bamboozle them. So you may want to do a bit of research on where to buy legit ones. 

I'm shocked, shocked I say, that the locals would rip off unsuspecting tourists. 

image.png.40bd541e45f6386cad5c20fbc96b6ed9.png

56 minutes ago, bobroo said:

If you are any type of cigar aficionado then you'd love, love, love a future port stop in Puerto Plata, DR

Jus' say'n

Reminds me of the Seinfeld episode where Kramer hires Cubans to roll cigars, but they turn out to be Dominicans...and then they end up rolling crepes, but too tightly. 

• Matt changed the title to buying Cigars in Nassau
7 hours ago, Zacharius said:

Reminds me of my honeymoon 25 years ago in Jamaica. Went to a cigar shop when a cruise ship was in. Conversation was along the lines of

salesman: I have these great Cuban cigars. $250 a box, you can’t get these in your country

me: yes I can

salesman: oh, your Canadian

me: yes and I have a direct flight home

salesman: $50 a box

9 hours ago, tjcruisers said:

Reminds me of my honeymoon 25 years ago in Jamaica. Went to a cigar shop when a cruise ship was in. Conversation was along the lines of

salesman: I have these great Cuban cigars. $250 a box, you can’t get these in your country

me: yes I can

salesman: oh, your Canadian

me: yes and I have a direct flight home

salesman: $50 a box

They were probably fake anyway. So many Cuban cigar scams being run all over the Caribbean that more than likely they are ripping you off. To the OP, tread lightly purchasing cigars in Nassau unless you are a very experienced smoker who can spot the garbage they are passing off as legit. 

19 hours ago, Zacharius said:

If anyone is looking to buy cigars...Learn how to spot the fakes...They are everywhere in the Caribbean and Mexico.   There are many great YouTube videos on how to spot fake Cubans.  We have only found a few real Cubans over the years...It's fun to point out they are selling fakes...Also, it's funny how the price drops after they realize we know how to spot a real Cuban.  Last year in Mexico, we saw some that had almost had perfect Cohiba bands...Which is the easiest way to spot a fake.

30 minutes ago, Psycho and Barb said:

If anyone is looking to buy cigars...Learn how to spot the fakes...They are everywhere in the Caribbean and Mexico.   There are many great YouTube videos on how to spot fake Cubans.  We have only found a few real Cubans over the years...It's fun to point out they are selling fakes...Also, it's funny how the price drops after they realize we know how to spot a real Cuban.  Last year in Mexico, we saw some that had almost had perfect Cohiba bands...Which is the easiest way to spot a fake.

I once found a clearly fake Cuban cigar...in Cuba. Nowhere is safe haha. 

Every time we go to Nassau I buy cigars for my boss. There is a guy who sells them in a liquor store on Bay Street, he only has one leg. Nice guy, I get 3 for $40. I know full well they aren't really Cuban, but the boss says they are some of the best he has had.  I cannot comment as I don't smoke them, but he likes to have one with a glass(or 2) of good Scotch. All about keeping the man who signs my paycheck happy!

I have bought a lot of cigars while cruising Mexico, Central America, and the Caribbean Islands.  I am told all my Cuban cigars from these places are fakes, but whoever is making them is doing an exquisite job.  I bring them home to share with my Cigar smoking friends, and we thoroughly enjoy them. 

I miss the cigar lounges on Royal, and I have never gone to the other smoking areas to partake in a cigar.  I bring them all home.