Photo package price hike??

We’re gonna be on Oasis this July and had been debating back & forth about purchasing one of the photo packages.  In early March when I was looking, the price for “up to 100 photos” was listed as $179 with whatever discount they had at the time.  Just looked now and the same package is now listed at $319.99, which includes a 20% discount!  It shows the regular price to be $399!  They can’t be serious, can they?  I’m hoping it’s some sort of glitch, otherwise there’s no more debating about buying that!

Yup, I just checked cruise planner and prices have gone up to $319.99 on HM too. Nuts!! As someone who always pays for the photo package this annoys me. I have gradually become a bit disappointed with the lack of creativity with poses especially the evening photos. I am considering booking a session with flytographer for a private land photo session pre cruise but these prices will definitely cause me to rethink my onboard pictures too. 😔 

I understand when people say just use your phone camera (which is obviously what we’ll end up doing!). It can be nice not having to keep asking people to take our pictures though.  I just don’t get where they think doubling the price from what it was ($199 to $399 full price) is going to get more business.  I don’t see too many people buying it at that price point, even at the $319 “discounted” price.  

18 minutes ago, RDempster said:

I understand when people say just use your phone camera (which is obviously what we’ll end up doing!). It can be nice not having to keep asking people to take our pictures though.  I just don’t get where they think doubling the price from what it was ($199 to $399 full price) is going to get more business.  I don’t see too many people buying it at that price point, even at the $319 “discounted” price.  

It's going to be discounted some more.  Just keep checking your CP.

Photo package on my HM sailing for August $299 on sale/$399 standard. I am hoping it comes back down to the $179-199 range with whatever sale Royal is likely to put out for Memorial Day. But Last year, we got it for 149 on allure and I'm pretty sure the standard price was 299....so...fingers tightly crossed for sure.

Otherwise...I'm putting my new phone camera and Android's "object eraser" to seriously good use 🤣

I am a frequent visitor to Walt Disney World and use their "PhotoPass" program often. Photos are a mix of standard and unique as well as a mix of amazing and adequate photographers. Rarely do I get a "bad" photo, and often get some that capture special, magic moments.

So, dh and I cruised on the Anthem in February. It was our first non kid (they are college/high school age and stayed home this trip) vacation since the eldest was born and I talked dh into getting the "up to 100" photo package to get really good pictures of our trip.

We were extremely disappointed.

The photo opportunities were plentiful, but almost every photographer did the same exact "prom" poses. Nothing unique, nothing fun or different. Night after night it was the same poses in front of different backgrounds. 

I found out quickly that we could choose 100 digital files or 100 prints...and not a combination of the two. Then discovered that they had to be individually chosen (remember it was an up to 100 package) in order to be uploaded from the photo system. We had just under 100 photos and there was no mechanism to choose all of them. 

When we saw how antiquated and clunky the photo system was, we opted to be safe by just paying for them all to be put on a USB.

Here is the thing. The WDW system uploads the photos almost immediately (maybe within 15-30min?) to their central system and I can see them on my phone within an hour. Once on my phone I can opt to purchase (if I don't have a prepaid photo plan), or download (if I do have a plan). At the end of my trip I can continue those options....and if I have a plan, I can select all and download the entire set with just a few clicks. ...and I can access the photos on the WDW app on my phone, or by accessing their website on my desktop. 

This isn't a difficult process. In 2023 RCC should have a significantly more up to date photo program than what is currently available. 

...and don't even get me started on the fact that the photo package don't cover all the photos taken on the ship!! Wonderland photos, extra charge. iFly photos, extra charge. Oh, and one of the current promo shots for a photo package is of someone participating in iFly!!!

We have another cruise booked for early 2024 and we aren't even considering a photo package unless the entire program is completely overhauled.