Taking drinks off ship.

20 minutes ago, LaVerne2003 said:

Wanting to know if when ordering Beer on say the Allure do they open it for you before they give it to you or can you keep it closed to save if for an excursion on a beach when getting off ship?  

You can ask for it to not be opened. No idea about taking it off the ship though. Many people ask for beers, Truly's, soda cans, etc. unopened to keep in their cabin cooler.

We utilized our drink package to do exactly this on an Anthem cruise to Bermuda a few years back. We basically just grabbed cans of whatever frosty beverage we needed whenever we had the opportunity. Placed them in our room fridges. Then when we debarked to go on a private charter we brought 3 families worth of beers and soft drinks with us, in a soft cooler, without issue. 

We did this with insulated tumblers full of cocktails too! Went up to the pool bar in the morning before leaving the ship for the day, ordered a cocktail, poured it in, got another, repeat until tumbler is filled to your satisfaction! Last order was just a shot of Grey Goose on ice once I had enough juice. 

We enjoyed our cocktails while biking and then only had to buy 1-2 fancy cocktails at a beach club. Thank you DBP! 

1 hour ago, DDaley said:

We did this with insulated tumblers full of cocktails too! Went up to the pool bar in the morning before leaving the ship for the day, ordered a cocktail, poured it in, got another, repeat until tumbler is filled to your satisfaction! Last order was just a shot of Grey Goose on ice once I had enough juice. 

We enjoyed our cocktails while biking and then only had to buy 1-2 fancy cocktails at a beach club. Thank you DBP! 

Goals! Will be doing this from now on. 

It's almost never going to be an issue, but keep in mind that in most cases you're now carrying alcohol in to another country and are subject to any customs rules about that. Again, 99% of the time it won't be an issue, but it is something to technically be aware of. 

(Sorry to be Buzz Killington, I just travel internationally for a living and customs always pops in to my head first. As someone who is also a bartender at a brewery on the side, I'm all for it from a personal standpoint haha.) 

59 minutes ago, SpeedNoodles said:

Interesting, as you can't even walk off the ship with a cup of coffee.  You have to drink it or throw it out before getting off of the ship.

They seem to be lenient with closed containers, I have taken water and soda off with no problem. However, the easiest ports to do this PDCC but I have done this is Mexico, Jamacia, and the Bahamas (Nassau).

1 hour ago, Ampurp85 said:

They seem to be lenient with closed containers, I have taken water and soda off with no problem. However, the easiest ports to do this PDCC but I have done this is Mexico, Jamacia, and the Bahamas (Nassau).

I always put closed containers in my backpack.  They never check those when getting off of the ship.

15 hours ago, Zacharius said:

It's almost never going to be an issue, but keep in mind that in most cases you're now carrying alcohol in to another country and are subject to any customs rules about that. Again, 99% of the time it won't be an issue, but it is something to technically be aware of. 

Not going to lie, somehow did not even consider those implications at the time. Feel silly now 🤦‍♂️

29 minutes ago, ZBrady said:

Not going to lie, somehow did not even consider those implications at the time. Feel silly now 🤦‍♂️

No worries, I don't think most people think about it. And, like I said, it's not usually going to be an issue. But I think a lot of cruises (especially Caribbean) put off a feeling that you're just visiting some islands, not independent countries with their own customs laws, and it's at least something to be aware of. 

51 minutes ago, Zacharius said:

But I think a lot of cruises (especially Caribbean) put off a feeling that you're just visiting some islands, not independent countries with their own customs laws, and it's at least something to be aware of. 

Very true and not just for legal purposes. Nothing wrong with doing touristy stuff (we certainly have and will in the future) but we also like to take some sort of island tour to actually see how/where the locals live when possible. For example, the beaches, snorkeling, airport, etc. in St. Martin are great but so was driving around the entire island, seeing how the french and dutch sides differ, etc.