Drink Packages

does anyone have any information on the prices of alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks? I'm trying to gauge if my 5 night cruise to Bermuda where we are in port 2 days is really worth purchasing a package or not? I typically like wine with nice dinners or after a day of being out, but maybe a cocktail by the pool or mimosa in the morning...i also drink a lot of water...my husband is a big iced tea, coffee/espresso, soda drinker, not a huge alcoholic drinker...can we purchase separate packages? what measures do they have in place to make sure that if your on the soda/water/juice package that you aren't sharing with your roommate?

This bar menu from January should get you an idea of various drink prices:
https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/category/category/generic-bar-menu

There are coffee cards and non-alcoholic drink packages that may also be of interest:
https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2016/11/29/spotted-cafe-select-coffee-card-offers-specialty-coffee-beverages
https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2016/09/01/depth-look-royal-caribbeans-royal-replenish-drink-package

This article has some of the basics on drink packages covered:

As far as sharing, well, if they notice the package will be revoked without refund - seems like a good reason not to do it right out the gate IMO, all moral reasons aside.  Further, they only serve one drink at a time, so you'll find yourself splitting things and hiding it from staff all to save the price of a drink.  Look into the packages and determine which is right for each of you, if you have pretty predicable patterns in what you drink and when, it works out to be pretty simple math.

2 minutes ago, monorailmedic said:

This bar menu from January should get you an idea of various drink prices:

There are coffee cards and non-alcoholic drink packages that may also be of interest:
https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2016/11/29/spotted-cafe-select-coffee-card-offers-specialty-coffee-beverages
https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2016/09/01/depth-look-royal-caribbeans-royal-replenish-drink-package

This article has some of the basics on drink packages covered:

As far as sharing, well, if they notice the package will be revoked without refund - seems like a good reason not to do it right out the gate IMO, all moral reasons aside.  Further, they only serve one drink at a time, so you'll find yourself splitting things and hiding it from staff all to save the price of a drink.  Look into the packages and determine which is right for each of you, if you have pretty predicable patterns in what you drink and when, it works out to be pretty simple math.

thanks- i saw the various cards...it seems "premium coffees" may not include "espresso" though because they have a separate card for espresso drinks...that seemed a little unclear to me...but thanks for the bar menu, i definitely didn't see this! I'll take a look now! do you know if both people in the stateroom have to be on the same package...like if i want alcohol but he's just going to be on soft drinks and coffee?

There is no obligation for everyone in the room to have the same (or any) drink package.  One person can have a package and the others nothing, or any combination.

I only drink espresso (and American coffee if put in front of me), so I'm not the authority on this but I beleive "espresso drinks" and "specialty coffees" are one in the same for the purposes of drink packages, coffee cards, and such.

1 hour ago, Neurosxbride said:

thanks- i saw the various cards...it seems "premium coffees" may not include "espresso" though because they have a separate card for espresso drinks...that seemed a little unclear to me...but thanks for the bar menu, i definitely didn't see this! I'll take a look now! do you know if both people in the stateroom have to be on the same package...like if i want alcohol but he's just going to be on soft drinks and coffee?

Premium coffees include espresso. While there is a separate coffee card, they're also include in the drink packages, except the soda package. 

A suggestion on the wine ... I'm a wine drinker, but maybe only a glass or two with dinner.  I bought a bottle the first night & had them cork it each night.  One bottle is typically 4-5 glasses depending on your pour.  Much, much cheaper than buying by the glass.  Also, if you're a crown & anchor member, you get a "buy one, get one" glass of wine.  My husband doesn't drink wine, so I used his C&A card one night and mine another night.

Also, tap water is free and available every where.  Bottled water is pretty pricey.

I don't drink soda, and like you - I like my wine and an occasional cocktail.  I've never purchased the beverage package and I do the cost comparison at the end of the trip.  Last cruise, I averaged 2-3 cocktail beverages during the day plus the wine at dinner.  So far, it would have been much more expensive had I bought the package (and, frankly, I probably would have drank more to be sure I got my money's worth...)

15 hours ago, Stephanie said:

A suggestion on the wine ... I'm a wine drinker, but maybe only a glass or two with dinner.  I bought a bottle the first night & had them cork it each night.  One bottle is typically 4-5 glasses depending on your pour.  Much, much cheaper than buying by the glass.  Also, if you're a crown & anchor member, you get a "buy one, get one" glass of wine.  My husband doesn't drink wine, so I used his C&A card one night and mine another night.

Hmm. I checked the sample menu links, and at least for the example red wine offerings, as well as this menu from Vintages posted by Eat, Sleep, Cruise. I'm seeing a bottle price basically 3.5 to 4 times the glass price, not seeing anything where I'd have a real justification to buy a bottle over just getting glasses a la carte. Were there specific wines you were getting that were being promoted by the ship those nights for a special price, or some other discount (maybe for being a certain C&A level)?

Also, just curious if when you last took the tally you included any specialty coffees, fresh squeezed juices, or other non-soda / non-alcohol beverages that are covered by the packages? I've been pretty sure I'd be getting the alcohol package, since I typically drink at least 2 coffees a day (and sorry, but Seattle's Best isn't a favorite of mine), two glasses of wine or two beers with dinner, and figure that I'll be having at least one more coffee and a couple of additional beers or cocktails in the pubs at night and during the day on sea days. That should be just right for breaking even with the package, but I always like seeing other people's breakdowns and comparing to my own typical vacation habits to see if I'm gauging it right.

4 hours ago, JLMoran said:

Hmm. I checked the sample menu links, and at least for the example red wine offerings, as well as this menu from Vintages posted by Eat, Sleep, Cruise. I'm seeing a bottle price basically 3.5 to 4 times the glass price, not seeing anything where I'd have a real justification to buy a bottle over just getting glasses a la carte. Were there specific wines you were getting that were being promoted by the ship those nights for a special price, or some other discount (maybe for being a certain C&A level)?

Also, just curious if when you last took the tally you included any specialty coffees, fresh squeezed juices, or other non-soda / non-alcohol beverages that are covered by the packages? I've been pretty sure I'd be getting the alcohol package, since I typically drink at least 2 coffees a day (and sorry, but Seattle's Best isn't a favorite of mine), two glasses of wine or two beers with dinner, and figure that I'll be having at least one more coffee and a couple of additional beers or cocktails in the pubs at night and during the day on sea days. That should be just right for breaking even with the package, but I always like seeing other people's breakdowns and comparing to my own typical vacation habits to see if I'm gauging it right.

The wines were in the MDR.  I don't recall exactly, but I think the bottle I bought was around $40 and the price per glass was about $10 (before gratuities).  I got 5 glasses out of the bottle.  Maybe not a huge savings, but as the saying goes "if you watch the cents, the dollars take care of themselves".

Also, maybe I didn't clarify, but I don't drink soda or coffee.  I love hot tea, and there's a great free selection in the Windjammer and in the MDR for free.  I think the value of the drink package depends on your personal preferences of beverages.  Since I only have 3-4 alcoholic beverages per day and no sodas or specialty coffees, juices, etc, the beverage package doesn't make sense for me.  I wish they had a package that was solely for alcoholic beverages. 

6 hours ago, JLMoran said:

I bought the refreshment package, mainly for the unlimited soda. That was of course before I went to the Dr. and found out I have type 2 diabetes. So, I gave up soda cold turkey, 10 weeks ago.

I kept the package though, because

1) I'm a big latte drinker so I can see myself drinking at least 3-4 a day. Just skim milk, now.

2) I also enjoy a good spicy virgin Mary, before breakfast, and sometimes a virgin cocktail with dinner.

3) I'm also drinking a lot of water all day now. Bottled water is included in the refreshment package. 

When I  added all these together, did some math, and with the fact that I got the package on sale for only $18.50 a day, plus gratuities. It still made sense, at least for me,  to keep the package, even if some of the beverages offered, I'm no longer partaking in.

6 minutes ago, Neurosxbride said:

this is all great information...

so can someone tell me what drinks on board are actually included then...so far i seem to get that some teas are free in windjammer and tap water...

Juice from a concentrate (not fresh squeezed), coffee, hot and iced teas, lemonade, and a flavored water/juice like drink. 

7 hours ago, FManke said:

Just out of curiosity, when did they start charging for soft drinks?

A long time ago. In 1994, I believe they were complimentary in the MDR, but cost everywhere else. By 2000, I don't recall any soda being included. 

3 hours ago, Bob_KY said:

We make it a habit to bring two bottles of our favorite wines in our "set sail" carry-on.  Even if they have a fee to uncork a bottle, it is a great way to save money and not compromise on your wine quality. 

Even with the corkage fee, you could still be spending less, than buying something on board. At least with carrying something on board, you can be assured you will get exactly what you want.

6 minutes ago, FManke said:

Even with the corkage fee, you could still be spending less, than buying something on board. At least with carrying something on board, you can be assured you will get exactly what you want.

Very true. The cheapest bottle is around $29 for wine that runs about $6 at home. And if you have a second cabin for the kids, that's for bottles that you can bring onboard since it's two per cabin.