Royal App to be updated next week

I spoke with the digital director on Enchantment -purely by accident, not knowing his title.  The app came up and when I mentioned I was dissatisfied with it he said they are updating the app and it should be available before the end of our cruise (April 28).

he did not mention what  is being updated, just that they’ve heard the passengers complaints and acted.

I told him I’d love to see things like the top tier items added so it can be scheduled into “ my calendar” and that’s not happening “unless it’s in the cruise compass you won’t be able to add  it”.  I also mentioned I’d love to be able to add our own items into “my calendar”-ex. Meet Mary 9:00am poolside.  Again, not happening.

can’t wait to see what the improvements will be. 

15 minutes ago, cruisellama said:

Has anyone noticed if on-board booked spa treatments are syncing up with personal calendar?   We've noticed an issue with that in the past.

I'm not sure it ever will. The Vitality Spa is actually a third-party business not run/managed by Royal Caribbean. While anything you book will show up in your website cruise planner calendar, their reservation system may not be able to sync up with the Royal Caribbean app. 

We found this out just by chance because my wife wanted to return a skin product she bought onboard a few years ago. (I can't recall the parent company)

17 minutes ago, SPS said:

I'm not sure it ever will. The Vitality Spa is actually a third-party business not run/managed by Royal Caribbean. While anything you book will show up in your website cruise planner calendar, their reservation system may not be able to sync up with the Royal Caribbean app. 

We found this out just by chance because my wife wanted to return a skin product she bought onboard a few years ago. (I can't recall the parent company)

I also heard that from a concierge.    The vendor's scheduling software was not linked to the app (but is connected through cruise planner).  The concierge thought it would be fixed in a future release.   Maybe not.

16 minutes ago, cruisellama said:

I also heard that from a concierge.    The vendor's scheduling software was not linked to the app (but is connected through cruise planner).  The concierge thought it would be fixed in a future release.   Maybe not.

While I'm pessimistic about it, I hope that it eventually does. My wife would certainly like to have it on her app calendar. Just on this message board alone, there are questions and complaints about it. So, I can only imagine how often frustrated guests are complaining about it to guest services, concierges, cruise directors, etc.

4 hours ago, brgreens said:

My (Android) app just updated this morning. Here's the release note:

With this release we've improved guest departure with the addition of departure delay information and enhanced functionality related to multiple port stops.

(.... whatever that means....)

They haven't updated that in the last few updates.

4 hours ago, CanHardlyWait said:

I got nothing about updates and see no change. Maybe I should uninstall and install again?

App updates aren't always available in every app store at the same time.  (Not unique to Royal's app, just a general observation.)  Royal may have released a new version but Google, Apple, Samsung, etc will all show it whenever they get around to it.

Oh wow! Guys, I still can‘t believe it but since the last app update on my iOS device I finally can choose my Rome Interport Cruise in the app! 😲
AFAIK this is the first time ever because so far only guest boarding in Barcelona have been able to use the app. If your Western Mediterranean Cruise starts in Rome you couldn‘t use the Royal app for your sailing at all - until now. 😄
I guess this is what they meant by „… enhanced functionality related to multiple port stops.

I mean when I choose my cruise in the app there still shows up the known message saying my sailing isn‘t available in the app but my cruise gets loaded anyway and I can clearly see my booked excursions in the app! 🤩

I find this is a significant improvement and a long overdue step in the right direction. 👍

Check it out!

1 hour ago, TexanTwoStep said:

Also, the RC messenger system is gone on the new update.

I'm wondering if this is planned, or an oversight?  The messaging app REALLY helps my family because my wife is Deaf and we use it to keep in contact with our ASL interpreters for planning purposes.

It was taken down due to a hack on Oasis last week from what I heard, I saw some screen shots of the messages sent to everyone ship wide, and I guess it was enough for them to take it down while they try to "secure" it better 

17 minutes ago, ScottD said:

It was taken down due to a hack on Oasis last week from what I heard, I saw some screen shots of the messages sent to everyone ship wide, and I guess it was enough for them to take it down while they try to "secure" it better 

Ah, figures.  I heard nothing about a hack but I can imagine the message sent to everyone wasn't "I hope everyone is having a fun cruise!"

6 hours ago, ScottD said:

Thank you for that info. We are on Enchantment and messaging feature only worked day 1 and 2 then poof-it’s gone.  Very frustrating.

For the departure info, our experience was that the app was only counting down to our scheduled time and wasn't updated real-time. We were some of the last off the ship (3pm flight) and so we were just hanging out in the dining room (our assigned waiting space) until our time was called. This was Allure for the April 2 sailing. Our app was only counting down to our 9:30am departure window. A little after 9am, one of the staff said we could go anytime and I confusedly said that the app didn't show that yet. She told us the app was just for the original window of time, but pointed to a screen on the wall that had real-time info and it showed that our departure group's luggage was ready for us already (all groups were available around 9am - everything went really fast that day). So it would be fantastic if the app was updated or will be updated to show the actual luggage readiness rather than just the originally scheduled window. @Ampurp85 cruised a week after us, so perhaps that was part of the update.

18 hours ago, The Fox said:

Mine says to tap Refresh to load the Activities under the Daily Planner, but there is no Refresh button. I also don't have the chat. I do see other changes though. Guess I'll try signing out and back in.

If you swipe up and hold for a bit, then let go, it'll refresh the calendar.  Hope this helps!

11 hours ago, asquared17 said:

we could still see MDR menus in our updated app while aboard harmony last week; not sure if they are available at all times or just when sailing is imminent. i can try to check for our december oasis sailing and report back!

Onboard is the only time I trust the app to be remotely close to functional and accurate. And I say "close" not to be funny but because last July and October, the activities listed in the app didn't always match the paper compass being dropped off nightly.

• 2 weeks later...