Another Reason to Cruise

According to the Telegraph (UK): The facts – and statistics – show that cruise is the safest of all forms of travel.

While they do point out some well publicized incidents on cruise ships, they acknowledge that many of them were domestic disputes. They also point out how well monitored ships are. 

1 minute ago, JLMoran said:

Doc, any link to the original article on the Telegraph?

Here it is:. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/cruises/articles/crime-on-a-cruise-ship/?WT.mc_id=tmg_share_em

I hesitated on paying it as it isn't specific to Royal. And although they start off by acknowledging that cruising is the safest form of travel, they then go into a lot of crimes that have occurred in cruise ships, which goes against the premise of the article. 

But since you asked . . .

Guest toodle68

I have always wondered how many domestic disputes there are when so much alcohol and gambling is available... and when confined to a small room. 

On our recent cruise, we saw a couple arguing on the first day.. well, not really a two way argument, he was ranting and she walked off..

We did have an incident in the elevator where a drunk was mouthing off. Everyone ignored him and he was harmless.. then some guy got on and the drunk said something to him and the new guy reacted. It was a packed elevator and the new guy looked like he was about to start punching.. so we just got off and took the steps.

I agree that few places have I ever felt safer than when on a cruise ship.. the biggest danger is all those people who refuse to wash their hands or sanitize going into food places.

• 4 weeks later...
On Monday, June 05, 2017 at 4:38 PM, toodle68 said:

I agree that few places have I ever felt safer than when on a cruise ship.. the biggest danger is all those people who refuse to wash their hands or sanitize going into food places.

Totally agree, what's that all about it takes a second to clean your hands and you can bet their first in line to complain when they get sick.

9 hours ago, DAVE(Darkcabbie) said:

Totally agree, what's that all about it takes a second to clean your hands and you can bet their first in line to complain when they get sick.

I've read some people who have complained about all the hand sanitizer stations they have aboard cruise ships. That some how that's a sign that they are dirty and unclean and that's why there are "outbreaks" of illness on board. How about the fact that those germs are being brought onboard by passengers and that's the reason for all the stations. If everybody used them, at least for the first few days on board, it would benefit everyone. It only takes one person to infect everyone.

2 hours ago, FManke said:

I've read some people who have complained about all the hand sanitizer stations they have aboard cruise ships. That some how that's a sign that they are dirty and unclean and that's why there are "outbreaks" of illness on board. How about the fact that those germs are being brought onboard by passengers and that's the reason for all the stations. If everybody used them, at least for the first few days on board, it would benefit everyone. It only takes one person to infect everyone.

I totally agree Fmanke , that would go a huge way to stopping the outbreaks.

I have often thought that buffets were counter productive to hand sanitizer when people go in to lunch.  When I'm serving my plate I think of all the people that have already touched that serving spoon.  I bring my own sanitizer for after I sit down to eat.  Yep,,I'm a germophobe.  I don't even like to touch the chair to pull it out and don't even get me started on menu's.    :12_slight_smile:

This got off topic.  Sorry.  

57 minutes ago, craig403 said:

I have often thought that buffets were counter productive to hand sanitizer when people go in to lunch.  When I'm serving my plate I think of all the people that have already touched that serving spoon.  I bring my own sanitizer for after I sit down to eat.  Yep,,I'm a germophobe.  I don't even like to touch the chair to pull it out and don't even get me started on menu's.    :12_slight_smile:

This got off topic.  Sorry.  

Too funny. My daughter always talks about the menus, but I never thought about the chairs! Darn!

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/4/2017 at 6:49 PM, DAVE(Darkcabbie) said:

Sadly, on my recent Princess cruise, while they had nice hand washing stations as you entered the buffet, I never saw anyone use them outside of my family. Over the course of two weeks, I don't think I saw more than a dozen people waiting their hands primarily because there was no one there to remind them to do so. 

56 minutes ago, DocLC said:

Sadly, on my recent Princess cruise, while they had nice hand washing stations as you entered the buffet, I never saw anyone use them outside of my family. Over the course of two weeks, I don't think I saw more than a dozen people waiting their hands primarily because there was no one there to remind them to do so. 

Oh yuck...such a simple thing.   Did you notice more sickies or did your family get sick since the cruise?  Jane