Traveling with toddler - Tips please

We will be on Oasis of the Seas on September 10th with an almost 3 -year old. It's not our first time cruising with her (we did Liberty of the Seas last year) and she did great. This year though she's older, potty trained, and we will be driving from San Antonio to Orlando before the cruise. Any tips, tricks, and advice on how to keep her entertained, comfortable, etc would be greatly appreciated. :1_grinning: Wish me luck...any advice on how to handle my husband who hates being stuck in a car is also appreciated! LOL :4_joy: Any Oasis class specific tips are also greatly appreciated!

10 minutes ago, Cristina_WNOP said:

We will be on Oasis of the Seas on September 10th with an almost 3 -year old. It's not our first time cruising with her (we did Liberty of the Seas last year) and she did great. This year though she's older, potty trained, and we will be driving from San Antonio to Orlando before the cruise. Any tips, tricks, and advice on how to keep her entertained, comfortable, etc would be greatly appreciated. :1_grinning: Wish me luck...any advice on how to handle my husband who hates being stuck in a car is also appreciated! LOL :4_joy: Any Oasis class specific tips are also greatly appreciated!

I say turn back now, while you have a chance! :4_joy: Just kidding! Wow, it's been so long since we had a toddler. Both of our boys are now 22 and 15, but sometimes it seems like we are dealing with toddlers. I think in general, if you can keep her schedule as normal as possible, with meal, naps and bedtimes. Even when my boys where a little older than toddlers, keeping them on a regular schedule seemed to help their, let's say, disposition. Good luck and I'll be praying for you!:14_relaxed:

16 minutes ago, FManke said:

I say turn back now, while you have a chance! :4_joy: Just kidding! Wow, it's been so long since we had a toddler. Both of our boys are now 22 and 15, but sometimes it seems like we are dealing with toddlers. I think in general, if you can keep her schedule as normal as possible, with meal, naps and bedtimes. Even when my boys where a little older than toddlers, keeping them on a regular schedule seemed to help their, let's say, disposition. Good luck and I'll be praying for you!:14_relaxed:

Thanks for the prayers!!! 

14 minutes ago, Matt said:

You should listen to our podcast episode about cruising with young kids https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/podcast/episode-180-guide-cruising-young-children-royal-caribbean

I will go back and listen to this one again! Forgot about it...I usually listen while driving so I can't take notes but sometimes forget on which episode I heard it on. Now if you could only do a podcast on how to handle the spouse I'd be golden :4_joy:

8 minutes ago, Cristina_WNOP said:

I will go back and listen to this one again! Forgot about it...I usually listen while driving so I can't take notes but sometimes forget on which episode I heard it on. Now if you could only do a podcast on how to handle the spouse I'd be golden :4_joy:

Sorry, can't help you there. But I'm sure my wife would have some advice!:4_joy:

21 hours ago, Cristina_WNOP said:

Better to ask for forigveness than permission ;)

I'm the one that Matt interviewed in that podcast- I don't have a 3 year old (yet), but I do have a 2.5 year old.  

I would suggest getting some smaller, new toys to bring on board.  We like blow up things since they are easy to pack.  I always pack a beach ball for the room- she always has fun with it.  I also like to bring my own sand kit (Old Navy typically has some smaller ones this time of year, and amazon as well).  

I bring extra snacks to have in the room, and I also put them in her bag to take to the nursery (I know yours will be at full blown Adventure Ocean).  

The splash pad area on Oasis is going to be great for her!  Definitely bring water shoes as the pool deck can get hot.  

I try to keep the schedule as close as possible to home to avoid major melt downs.  Sometimes that involves one of us "retiring early" to the room to watch her. If she's still taking naps, try to keep that as well.  

1 hour ago, Drewmommy said:

We'll be cruising with friends who have toddlers.  How do you handle the bath situation since there is only a shower in regular cabins? 

The shower has a hand-held shower head, so you one parent could shower with them and let the kid(s) sit on the ground.  Or you could just leave them on the ground and pull the shower head down to apply water when washing them.

If a tub is a big deal, Junior Suites and above have them.

5 hours ago, Christie said:

I also put them in her bag to take to the nursery (I know yours will be at full blown Adventure Ocean).

Thanks for all the tips :1_grinning:. So technically she will still be 2, we are sailing two weeks before her birthday. Does anyone know if she'd be allowed to go to adventure ocean? I don't mind if she has to do the nursery again but just wondering if they make an exception since it's her birthday month.

16 hours ago, Cristina_WNOP said:

Thanks for all the tips :1_grinning:. So technically she will still be 2, we are sailing two weeks before her birthday. Does anyone know if she'd be allowed to go to adventure ocean? I don't mind if she has to do the nursery again but just wondering if they make an exception since it's her birthday month.

You can ask.  Technically the rule is they have to be 3 AND fully potty trained.

21 hours ago, Cristina_WNOP said:

Like Matt said, you can ask, but don't be shocked if the answer is no.  I wouldn't be too upset- the nursery on Oasis is amazing!  The attention they give the kids is wonderful.  Also, be sure to check out the common area play area.  It's incredible!