Thoughts on new MDR policy and only having one dish at a time

Lexster

Hey all, I was just thinking about the new policy in the MDR of only bringing out one dish at a time instead of what they used to do which was to bring out every entree you order at once. I know this has upset some people, but maybe we need to shift how we think of this. When I think of this as a multi-course meal, it seems like less of an issue. If you want to get two entrees, say, then you could think of dinner as a four course meal. It almost turns into a chef's table kind of thing which normally is like 5 or 6 courses I think. If you get two appetizers, then it becomes a five course meal. In this case, I think it's all about perspective. Sure, before you could kind of pick off of two or three different entrees at once, but the new way more encourages you to enjoy that dish before moving on to another. I don't know, just a thought I had which might help others not be so annoyed by the change.

On my March cruise they brought both out at the same time (which I asked them to) no problem.

I like your glass half full approach to looking at it, but a person can choose to eat one and then the next or they might choose to enjoy the two as if they were one.  Eat a little of this, then a little of that and so on.  They can't do that during times when that policy is enforced.

I found all I had to do was ask and the waiter I had was happy to provide my dinner my way for which I was thankful.  Had he not, it certainly wouldn't have ruined my cruise.

That's good, then. I'd just heard stories of folks asking and the waiters telling them they could not bring them out at the same time. It probably depends on the waiter you get as to whether they'll work with you or staunchly enforce the policy. Also might vary ship-to-ship for awhile.

And yeah, like I said i know people used to get two entrees and eat off of them both, but if this policy does end up being fully enforced firmly, I was just trying to offer an alternate way of thinking if it's something that really upset people about it.

We also had no problem at all, ordering an entree to split between us (in addition to our regular entree).  Honestly, I think this will be a short-lived, meaningless move on Royal's part.  It's not worth the bad will that it seems to be creating.  Personally, I've never seen it enforced.  I have read of it being enforced, but have not personally seen that.

17 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

We also had no problem at all, ordering an entree to split between us (in addition to our regular entree).  Honestly, I think this will be a short-lived, meaningless move on Royal's part.  It's not worth the bad will that it seems to be creating.  Personally, I've never seen it enforced.  I have read of it being enforced, but have not personally see that.

Yeah, it honestly is silly. Unless someone is ordering everything on the menu, there's no reason to not bring out all the dishes ordered. Heck, Royal's claim is they're trying to speed up the meal, but all this would do is slow things down.

47 minutes ago, ChessE4 said:

We only order one entree or other course at a time. No impact on many cruisers.  ( I won't say majority because I have no data.)

What I meant was them bringing dishes out one at a time as opposed to all at once is going to cause that person's meal to take longer to complete which goes counter to Royal's claims of wanting to speed up the meal.

On Radiance they brought out my chicken marsala first.  I needed a steak knife to cut it, so I left it sitting there awaiting the waitstaff to glance in our direction so I could signal for the lobster tail that was waiting in the wings.   Btw, no baked potato with the lobster tail-I thought there used to be-now it's just rice. When he finally brought the lobster tail I requested the cheese tortellin since I had not eaten the chicken-what I would call an "appetizer size" came out-12 tortellini-yes I counted and it was not served until I had finished the lobster.
I'm more the type who likes the "last bite" to be the best tasting thing from the meal.  I feel bringing out individual plates takes that option away from me.  I don't order dessert, so no "last bite taste" from there.

20 minutes ago, Pattycruise said:

On Radiance they brought out my chicken marsala first.  I needed a steak knife to cut it, so I left it sitting there awaiting the waitstaff to glance in our direction so I could signal for the lobster tail that was waiting in the wings.   Btw, no baked potato with the lobster tail-I thought there used to be-now it's just rice. When he finally brought the lobster tail I requested the cheese tortellin since I had not eaten the chicken-what I would call an "appetizer size" came out-12 tortellini-yes I counted and it was not served until I had finished the lobster.
I'm more the type who likes the "last bite" to be the best tasting thing from the meal.  I feel bringing out individual plates takes that option away from me.  I don't order dessert, so no "last bite taste" from there.

Yeah, I've read that subsequent dishes are smaller than the first entree.

We were on Voyager in March.  They would not serve both entrees at the same time.  We did not insist, but rather just rolled with it.  One thing we noticed is that each entrée was piping hot.  I don't know if it was because waiter went to galley and get the second one when time to serve it or if they had means of keeping it hot in service area.  Either way, not sure if that was a result of 'one at a time' or if it was unrelated.  In general, all food on this particular sailing was very hot.

We were on Allure last week and on the first night, our waiter made clear that one entrée at a time was the new rule. We were fine with it, and he would bring two appetizers or two desserts at the same time on the rare occasion that we ordered that way, just not entrées. We were also allowed to order appetizers for dinner if nothing else appealed to us. (They also had the Indian vegetarian meal available each night, printed on the menu.) We had early dining.

One night, we ordered 1 of each dessert for the table and all 6 were brought at the same time. The food was always warm, never cold, as @Peter D said. Dinner felt very efficient to us (NOT rushed, just food was brought quickly on the heels of finishing the prior dish). Half of the nights, we were finished in an hour from arriving, and the other half of the nights, we were there less than an hour and a half. We were on a sold out sailing, so a very, very crowded ship, and the MTD people were already lining up. I was happy that we could have a nice, warm meal, eat whatever we wanted from the menu, have it be efficient, not have the overcrowding on the table, and free up our table for MTD sooner than we would have under the old system. I know it doesn't appeal to some, but it didn't bother us in the slightest. 

21 minutes ago, jbrinkm said:

We were on Allure last week and on the first night, our waiter made clear that one entrée at a time was the new rule. We were fine with it, and he would bring two appetizers or two desserts at the same time on the rare occasion that we ordered that way, just not entrées. We were also allowed to order appetizers for dinner if nothing else appealed to us. (They also had the Indian vegetarian meal available each night, printed on the menu.) We had early dining.

One night, we ordered 1 of each dessert for the table and all 6 were brought at the same time. The food was always warm, never cold, as @Peter D said. Dinner felt very efficient to us (NOT rushed, just food was brought quickly on the heels of finishing the prior dish). Half of the nights, we were finished in an hour from arriving, and the other half of the nights, we were there less than an hour and a half. We were on a sold out sailing, so a very, very crowded ship, and the MTD people were already lining up. I was happy that we could have a nice, warm meal, eat whatever we wanted from the menu, have it be efficient, not have the overcrowding on the table, and free up our table for MTD sooner than we would have under the old system. I know it doesn't appeal to some, but it didn't bother us in the slightest. 

I'm glad to know only main entrees come out one at a time. Looking forward to trying it out myself.

I'm currently on Freedom. I ordered 2 apps and they were brought together. I told my server I couldn't decide if I wanted steak or the bolognese. I ordered the steak but two bites in she brought me the bolognese. I would say it definitely depends on the server, ship and possibly whether it's traditional or MTD.

1 hour ago, Ampurp85 said:

I'm currently on Freedom. I ordered 2 apps and they were brought together. I told my server I couldn't decide if I wanted steak or the bolognese. I ordered the steak but two bites in she brought me the bolognese. I would say it definitely depends on the server, ship and possibly whether it's traditional or MTD.

You gotta love there consistency of inconsistencies. LOL.

I’m on Enchantment-it’s our first night- and a gentleman at the table ordered 2 entrees. He was told one at a time.  Our entire table was served, the waiter never came around to ask “is your meal satisfactory?”.  The gentleman was served his second meal. The assistant waiter cleared the plates and no comment made when he took my barely touched food.  I never saw the gentleman get a second plate, or I would have spoke up.  
interestingly everyone at our shared table is either D+ or Pinnacle .  Do waitstaff know?  There were other service issues as well.  No head waiter on our entire dining room.  Did they do away with them?  Maybe they’ll show up tomorrow?

6 hours ago, Pattycruise said:

I’m on Enchantment-it’s our first night- and a gentleman at the table ordered 2 entrees. He was told one at a time.  Our entire table was served, the waiter never came around to ask “is your meal satisfactory?”.  The gentleman was served his second meal. The assistant waiter cleared the plates and no comment made when he took my barely touched food.  I never saw the gentleman get a second plate, or I would have spoke up.  
interestingly everyone at our shared table is either D+ or Pinnacle .  Do waitstaff know?  There were other service issues as well.  No head waiter on our entire dining room.  Did they do away with them?  Maybe they’ll show up tomorrow?

I would certainly either find the maitre d, but if you can't find them go to the customer service desk and let them know there are issues.

Have no problem with only one entree at a time because I do not like so many plates around me.  Another reason I rarely order a second.  However on my last 4 b2b the lobster is still very small so I also desired a strip steak, thinking it would be nice to have the little steak with the little lobster for a fun surf & turf on one plate.  They said no, so DW ordered a steak and put it on my lobster plate.  She enjoyed dressed up bake potato untill her lobster arrived.  Much enjoyed my Surf & Turf!