Royal Caribbean should be called Nickel & Dime Caribbean

I like Disney... actually I LOVE Disney. Considering I've been to WDW or Disneyland nearly every year (sometimes twice) in the last 10 year even though we live about 10,000kms away across the Pacific in New Zealand gives you some context regarding our passion.

I also really enjoyed the 2 Disney cruises I've taken. The ships are great, wonderful entertainment (especially if you enjoy Disney), I probably prefer the food in the MDR and the Dining Rooms experience on DCL than RCL and yes I do like having room service and soda included.

However..... there is absolutely no way I can argue that DCL is better value than RCL. Before we went on our first RCL cruise I did a lot of homework (I probably like spreadsheets a little too much). Adding in the soda package and including the room service charge every day RCL was STILL 1.8 cheaper! I could eat at a specialty restaurant every night (Which I do rate high than DCL MDR and STILL be about 1.5 cheaper (And in fact that is what we are doing next cruise thanks to the new Dining package.

Now having experienced RCL I can say that I don't value DCL 1.8 x more than RCL. If the gap was 10% then I'd probably pick DCL now and again over RCL but honestly I really enjoyed our RCL trip and considered it very good value for money (Though I do think it is getting less value for money as time goes by and new charges are added added etc... I'd also say this about DCL and don't even get me start about WDW, let's just say we aren't going this year and probably not next due to their price increases).

You might enjoy DCL over RCL for one reason or another (Enjoy the characters, children's program, show quality, MDR experience (Animator Palate etc)and I'd certainly understand your point but to say you think DCL is better value than RCL is something I could not agree at all.

13 hours ago, EmersonNZ said:

but to say you think DCL is better value than RCL is something I could not agree at all.

I think in a lot of ways, DCL and RCCL are two different experiences. They do the same thing, but in much different ways. It's like comparing a Disney theme park with a Six Flags theme park. The both basically do the same thing, but in much different ways. You may choose one over the other for different reasons, depending on what your needs or wants are at the time. I agree with most, though. Nobody does Disney, like Disney.

I disagree that comparing DCL to RC is like comparing WDW to Six Flags.  It's more like WDW to Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure.  Both REALLY good at what they do.  WDW has the charm and Universal has the thrill.  

Nobody does Disney like Disney, but I don't think you can say nobody does cruising like Disney- they are pretty comparable experiences.  

2 hours ago, Christie said:

I disagree that comparing DCL to RC is like comparing WDW to Six Flags.  It's more like WDW to Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure.  Both REALLY good at what they do.  WDW has the charm and Universal has the thrill.  

Nobody does Disney like Disney, but I don't think you can say nobody does cruising like Disney- they are pretty comparable experiences.  

I completely agree with this statement.

9 hours ago, Christie said:

When I said nobody does Disney like Disney, I was talking specifically about the theme parks. I feel that Disney is an experience. I'm not sure the others are, except for maybe The Wizarding World of Harry Potter. Just my opinion of course, but I get what you are saying.