Cabin Night Lights

Looking for some recommendations so that I may purchase battery operated night lights for our cabin.  We are seniors and if you have to get up in the middle of the night, it is impossible to make your way around the cabin.  Plugs are at a premium so I'm looking for battery operated , non-motion sensored night lights.  Any recommmendations are appreciated.

Hi @MKSglitz!

@Sharla from MEI-Travel recommended these compact rechargeable motion sensor night lights (3-pack). Thanks again Sharla! 😀

They have a magnet on the back and will stick to the walls (and ceiling) of the cabin so you can place them anywhere to light the path to the bathroom, etc. We used them on our January sailing and found them to be really effective. They don't stay on too long if they stop sensing motion, so they don't disturb others in the cabin. You may find that these will do the trick for you!

Amazon Link:  WYZE Rechargeable Night Lights with Dusk to Dawn & Motion Sensors

17 minutes ago, b_resh_uh said:

My recommendation would be to just get a cruise approved surge protector that expands your socket availability. We just did that on Odyssey and had more than enough plugs for everything we needed - night light included. 

There is no such thing as a cruise approved surge protector.  There are unscrupulous companies that put that on their marketing but it is NOT real.  Surge protectors are NOT allowed and anything that even looks like a surge protector may be taken from you and returned after the cruise.  Bring something that gives you more USB ports if you need them.  Bring a voltage adapter so you can use 120V devices in the 240V European outlets.  If the outlet configuration doesn't meet your needs you can ask your cabin steward for an extension cord to bring an outlet where you need it.

1 hour ago, barjpoe said:

battery operated tea lights?

We've used these on past cruises and they work great. You can place one in the cabin, one in the bathroom. Just enough light and the batteries will last the entire cruise for sure. You can find them on Amazon. They're really inexpensive so if you forget them or lose them, it's not a big deal.

Happy Cruising!

34 minutes ago, Atlantix2000 said:

There is no such thing as a cruise approved surge protector.  There are unscrupulous companies that put that on their marketing but it is NOT real.  Surge protectors are NOT allowed and anything that even looks like a surge protector may be taken from you and returned after the cruise.  Bring something that gives you more USB ports if you need them.  Bring a voltage adapter so you can use 120V devices in the 240V European outlets.  If the outlet configuration doesn't meet your needs you can ask your cabin steward for an extension cord to bring an outlet where you need it.

I mean, I'm not educated enough to know if you're right or wrong. All I know was every member of our party (five rooms) brought a simple "cruise approved" surge protector which had two USB outlets and three additional plugs and not one of us had any issues.

Now clothes steamers...that's a different story!

1 hour ago, b_resh_uh said:

I mean, I'm not educated enough to know if you're right or wrong. All I know was every member of our party (five rooms) brought a simple "cruise approved" surge protector which had two USB outlets and three additional plugs and not one of us had any issues.

Well, enforcement is highly variable as you've seen.  A quick search will find plenty of threads here that will show the confusion over what gets confiscated.

I can't explain why some things get through when banned, but I can (attempt to) explain why surge protectors are bad.  In short, they are a fire risk because of the difference between the electrical system on a ship and the electrical system on land.  When a device plugged into an electric outlet or into a non-surge protected power strip goes bad, it will short itself out or cause a fuse or circuit breaker to trip.  On land or sea, that's where the story ends.  If that bad device is plugged into a surge protector, the surge protector tries to "save" the device.  But at sea, the lack of normal electrical grounding means the surge protector is going to quickly heat up and start an electrical fire.  And fire on a ship is a serious, serious issue.

In theory, they should allow non-surge protector power strips but there is usually no easy way to prove a device is safe.  Therefore, they are supposed to confiscate anything that looks like a power strip.  Sometimes they also take anything that provides extra outlets (even when there's no cord).  And sometimes, they let things through that are clearly banned.

Please do not bring your power strips on future cruises.

31 minutes ago, Atlantix2000 said:

Well, enforcement is highly variable as you've seen.  A quick search will find plenty of threads here that will show the confusion over what gets confiscated.

I can't explain why some things get through when banned, but I can (attempt to) explain why surge protectors are bad.  In short, they are a fire risk because of the difference between the electrical system on a ship and the electrical system on land.  When a device plugged into an electric outlet or into a non-surge protected power strip goes bad, it will short itself out or cause a fuse or circuit breaker to trip.  On land or sea, that's where the story ends.  If that bad device is plugged into a surge protector, the surge protector tries to "save" the device.  But at sea, the lack of normal electrical grounding means the surge protector is going to quickly heat up and start an electrical fire.  And fire on a ship is a serious, serious issue.

In theory, they should allow non-surge protector power strips but there is usually no easy way to prove a device is safe.  Therefore, they are supposed to confiscate anything that looks like a power strip.  Sometimes they also take anything that provides extra outlets (even when there's no cord).  And sometimes, they let things through that are clearly banned.

Please do not bring your power strips on future cruises.

There are cruise safe plug extenders. Mine had no cord, it plugged into the wall outlet and had 3 more outlets and 3 usb ports. These are fine, legal and as long as you keep it in the little box it came in, should be allowed on. I brought mine with no box, but it was in my checked bag and it was never questioned. 

4 hours ago, JohnK6404 said:

Hi @MKSglitz!

@Sharla from MEI-Travel recommended these compact rechargeable motion sensor night lights (3-pack). Thanks again Sharla! 😀

They have a magnet on the back and will stick to the walls (and ceiling) of the cabin so you can place them anywhere to light the path to the bathroom, etc. We used them on our January sailing and found them to be really effective. They don't stay on too long if they stop sensing motion, so they don't disturb others in the cabin. You may find that these will do the trick for you!

Amazon Link:  WYZE Rechargeable Night Lights with Dusk to Dawn & Motion Sensors

Bought these for our last cruise and they worked great. We did discover that you need to put them close to the deck to prevent them being triggered every time you roll over. Highly recommend

1 hour ago, ScottD said:

There are cruise safe plug extenders. Mine had no cord, it plugged into the wall outlet and had 3 more outlets and 3 usb ports. These are fine, legal and as long as you keep it in the little box it came in, should be allowed on. I brought mine with no box, but it was in my checked bag and it was never questioned. 

I had the exact same kind of device and they confiscated it on OA in Feb.  It just depends on who is working security that day....

1 hour ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

I had the exact same kind of device and they confiscated it on OA in Feb.  It just depends on who is working security that day....

It is definitely a YMMV item from reading the threads.  I must be weird as I don't see the need for plug expanders that everyone seems to need/want. I don't think I use more than two or three single outlets in the cabin.

I have a 1 to 3 expansion plug that I got a Dollar Tree. I have a 2 port USB charger that I use at home (I have several so one is always in my laptop backpack). And I have a 1 to 4 USB pig tail that has Micro USB, USB-C and 2 iPhone adapters.  Plus my laptop.  I have all of these items in my laptop bag that I take wherever I go. 

I doubt that I have $15 in the entire set-up.  I can see the need for a nightlight in the bathroom, but again, I have several cheapo nightlights from the Dollar Tree that I use for the grandkids/guest rooms. I toss one in my laptop backpack.

image.png.01a711a463450c0f6c31341e9bd9ab75.png

image.png.6206c5334f04359b3a7aadc80f9b81fe.png

image.png.9ea4573484ea1e1e94a1ba8759c0776a.png

image.png.a7995af5a37e5f44b883db1dd5e28a06.png

11 hours ago, asquared17 said:

we also got this one and it was great -- to be fair, there is a very dim, always-on light in the bathroom at night, which is helpful, so we wound up never needing to use it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07GH5YRYL/

I’m currently on Radiance, no low light in the bathroom at all. (Interior cabin)  I leave the light on in the bathroom with the door closed. The only issue I have is going in the middle of the night is a “full awake” with the light on.