Boarding without a Passport

Va4fam

We got back from Mexico in February.   Sent renewal forms and passports to State Department same week.  Expedited.

Should have received them by now.   But don't have them and most likely won't in time for our trip.

Our Odyssey sailing from Fort Lauderdale is a week away, and we are without passports.

We have birth certificates with raised seals, driver's licenses, and a marriage certificate to show my wife's name change from 30 years ago.

What else do we need to show RCI at check in to be allowed to board?  

Anxious we might be turned away.    Could use some suggestions or even reassurance everything will be ok.

I appreciate you bringing this up because we just sent out a memo to our flight attendants warning them that we are now seeing increasing wait times for passport renewals.  Right now on average we are seeing a wait time of 8 to 9 weeks for normal processing.  (Doesn't make for happy flight attendants when they have 40+ years are use to flying only international trips and now have to fly domestic trips for at least 2 months.)

However for people with cruises especially European cruises this coming summer please check your passports now.  If you think your passport is expiring or know it is expiring and you have a cruise especially European cruise the time to renew your passport is now. Even if you choose expedited processing your are probably looking at 4 to 5 weeks.  The airline I work for didn't give us a reason why we are seeing this increase in wait times after seeing wait time decrease dramatically over the past year but here we are at 8 to 9 weeks for normal processing for passport renewal.   

You could try reaching out to your US congressional representative and/or senator.  They can submit an urgent inquiry on your behalf.  

Have you checked the status of your passport by going here:

https://passportstatus.state.gov/

Finally, I read that it is taking ~7 weeks for expedited requests.  It sounds like to me that your passports were submitted 7 weeks ago.  

You should be fine with the documents you listed above. 

I can speak from experience on this subject as on a recent cruise (Symphony out of Miami) i somehow FORGOT our passports?!? I still shake my head at that but i did. 20 cruises under my belt but brain farts can and do happen to us all i guess?!?

Didn't realize it until we were literally stepping out of the Uber car in front of the terminal. Of course, i panicked but thought surely we'd get on since we had copies of passports in our phones, plus global entry cards, plus valid drivers licenses.

Nope was the firm answer. You either have to have the ORIGINAL passport OR a copy of your official birth certificate. Well.....we didn't have copies of our birth certificates....but thankfully were able to contact someone near home who went in to our house, located our bc's, took photos of them and sent those to us. And RC accepted those so onboard we went!

I think you'll be fine, just be sure you have those birth certificates!

I submitted for my passport renewal back on January 12th and as of today it still just says "received". Definitely frustrating. 11 weeks at this point and at the time of applying it was still saying 6-9 weeks. 

I have cruised recently with just my birth certificate (original, but VA doesn't/didn't have a raised seal which caused me to worry a bit), marriage license and driver license. There were no issues boarding. 

1 hour ago, Jacklynn said:

I submitted for my passport renewal back on January 12th and as of today it still just says "received". Definitely frustrating. 11 weeks at this point and at the time of applying it was still saying 6-9 weeks. 

I have cruised recently with just my birth certificate (original, but VA doesn't/didn't have a raised seal which caused me to worry a bit), marriage license and driver license. There were no issues boarding. 

11 weeks?   Frustrating.

I have spent countless hours on hold only to speak with a representative who says that they can't help me unless travel was two weeks away.  Or one week away.  Or today they said it had to be within 5 days due to a "procedural change."

2 hours ago, Va4fam said:

11 weeks?   Frustrating.

I have spent countless hours on hold only to speak with a representative who says that they can't help me unless travel was two weeks away.  Or one week away.  Or today they said it had to be within 5 days due to a "procedural change."

Don't stress out about it and just use your birth certificates.  I just went on a cruise earlier this month with birth certificates for my teens who did not passports.  Oldest was over 16 and had to show her driver's license as well, but there was no issue boarding or coming home.  You will be fine.  And hopefully when you get home, your passports will be waiting for you in the mail.

Birth certificates and ID is all you need... take the marriage license to be safe, but likely won't need it. You're good to go- you will not be turned away, three of us just did this exact thing, no passports. BC for the kid, BC and DL for us and thats all we needed. Lines were no longer, took no extra time to get on the ship day one or off the ship at the end.  We were told since we were travelling together and our names matched on the IDs, that the Marriage license wasn't needed..but I'd take it to be safe.  Have fun, stop worrying....and once you board on day one, throw all the certificates in the safe- you don't need it again until the last day

3 hours ago, ScottD said:

Birth certificates and ID is all you need... take the marriage license to be safe, but likely won't need it. You're good to go- you will not be turned away, three of us just did this exact thing, no passports. BC for the kid, BC and DL for us and thats all we needed. Lines were no longer, took no extra time to get on the ship day one or off the ship at the end.  We were told since we were travelling together and our names matched on the IDs, that the Marriage license wasn't needed..but I'd take it to be safe.  Have fun, stop worrying....and once you board on day one, throw all the certificates in the safe- you don't need it again until the last day

I think the marriage license is a YMMV kind of situation. They specifically asked for mine in December. I am unsure if they would have went as far as denying me boarding if I hadn't had it though. 

14 minutes ago, Jacklynn said:

I think the marriage license is a YMMV kind of situation. They specifically asked for mine in December. I am unsure if they would have went as far as denying me boarding if I hadn't had it though. 

Yeah...that's why I suggest bringing it... I can almost bet on the fact that it just depends on the agent you get at the gate. 

Went through this exact scenario for our March 12th Wonder cruise. Got off Odyssey late Jan, submitted renewals for my wife and son. Expedited said 3-5 weeks, we had six till Wonder. After 5 weeks and no change in status, we used the Online renewal process, we really started to panic. We had no idea where our marriage certificate was and to further complicate things my wife had been married before and we had nothing showing that. Several hundred dollars spent getting certified copies expedited to us and off we went to the port. Meanwhile we drive 3 days to the port my son flies down and meets us the day before. His passport came in the day before he left so he was all set. Check in went very smoothly. They only looked at my wife's birth certificate, but having everything else was for safety as you never know what a particular agent might want to make an issue of. My wife's passport came in while we were on our cruise, so 7 weeks total.

Update-the online update tool now says our passports are being shipped and will arrive on or around...................................

....embarkation day

.............at our house.

......................where we won't be...

.......................................because we will have left 3 days earlier to fly to Florida.    

🤔

15 minutes ago, Va4fam said:

Update-the online update tool now says our passports are being shipped and will arrive on or around...................................

....embarkation day

.............at our house.

......................where we won't be...

.......................................because we will have left 3 days earlier to fly to Florida.    

🤔

Maybe stop your mail so it’s not waiting in your mailbox the whole time and pick it up when you get back.