Costa Maya or Cozumel

Weezie57

29 minutes ago, tonyfsu21 said:

Never left the port swimming area but maybe we should check this out!

Just make sure to make reservations WELL in advance as they sell out all the time. People were turned away at the meeting place outside the port area who thought they could go on a whim. The look on their face was like someone slapped their momma! 

23 hours ago, Weezie57 said:

Going on a five day cruise with stops in these two ports.  Thinking of visiting a beach in one port and shopping in the other.  Which of these would have the clearest water and better beach?

costa maya is beautiful, a little more rustic/wild in nature and the staff at maya chan are really wonderful. in full transparency, the water was not very clear when we went there, but the team was grooming the sargassum/sea grass all day and the lunch and hospitality are PHENOMENAL.

cozumel probably has clearer water overall but i don't think there is direct beach access right off the port because it is so rocky, so you will likely need to rent a day pass or take an excursion somewhere. we snorkeled once at chakkanub and it was crystal clear and beautiful. there are also some beach resorts you can stay at for the day -- mr sanchos and nachi cocum are two that many here have visited and left reviews on in this forum, if you are looking for more info 💚

22 minutes ago, Weezie57 said:

Thanks to everyone for your input.  

The Cozumel beach clubs are all next door to each other and a 15 minute cab ride from the port. The beaches are perfection and I can personally speak for the service being top notch level at Paradise beach club as well as Nachi Cocum. You can’t go wrong with either. Cozumel also has “the most spectacular diving and snorkeling in the world” according to Jacques Cousteau (I’m pretty sure this guy knew a good spot when he saw one). 

I would say in Cozumel it's very easy to do your own thing, be it beach or shopping or both in the same day. Cabs or even renting a car/scooter/dune buggy. The beaches on the "wild side" are beautiful and we enjoyed the less touristy vibe there. (Rougher surf though) I have not been to CM, but my relative was just there and it's a more rural area and I would think you might find more call for having some sort of organized excursion there.  She did a combo of cenotes and a mayan ruin tour through a local vendor.

Costa Maya is an odd port to do much.  The actual terminal is good and has an ok swimming pool area close to the ship, but excursions are limited.  Mayan ruins are probably the most popular excursion.  Beach access is nonexistent at the pier itself, but you can go to the beach in town.  The beach is lined with restaurants and bars which you will have to buy something at if you want a seat on the beach.  Shopping at Costa Maya is not too exciting either but can be fun if you just want to walk around a little.

Cozumel is by far better in my opinion on both beach quality and shopping variety.

chankanaab is a national park (or the equivalent of?) in cozumel and is beautiful. we did an excursion there, pre pandemic and went snorkeling and saw the dolphin show. not sure if this was the excursion sponsored by RCCL or my family elected to purchase the pass outside of the cruise planner -- but we had a good time.

that was years ago, so i can't speak to prices or the experience now -- but from what i've seen here and there on the forums, everyone seems to have a great time. 😎

On 4/2/2023 at 6:33 AM, Weezie57 said:

Appears RCL has a beach excursion in Cozumel at Chankanaab.  Anyone familiar with this place?

In Cozumel all the beach clubs are pretty close to the port on the side with the calmer water. Honestly you can save a bunch of money by just taking a cab and paying at the door or online. People on my cruise were bummed because they paid for a full all inclusive day and then it rained. if you do your own thing you can stay as long as you want and then go shopping. I think all the beach clubs are nice but that one I think had a lagoon and some cool features.

• 2 weeks later...