Lunch Specialty Dining Options on Oasis - Embarkation Day

James HS

What are the lunch specialty dining options on Oasis of the Seas on Embarkation Day? 

According to the App, it would appear that some specialty restaurants are open at lunch (including Chops Grille) however, one cannot make any reservations on either the App or Website.  We prefer to avoid the buffet where possible.  Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!  Thanks, James

I would caution you to be careful with the advice of walking up to a specialty restaurant on embarkation day and expecting to get in without a reservation.

In the "old days" it was much easier, but recently, the Unlimited Dining Plan has become much more popular and lunchtime dining - especially on embarkation day - has become much busier than it used to be.  Servers are in high demand on embarkation day, with the Key lunch in the MDR and of course, the usual madhouse of the Windjammer.  Even though there may be open tables that does not mean that they can accommodate more diners.  They are limited by the number of servers that they have available.

I was advised recently to make sure you DO have a reservation for lunch on embarkation day.  Even though you cannot make that reservation prior to boarding (unless you are in a suite), you can make it as soon as you board and I advise you to do that, especially if you are on an O class ship (as it appears you are).

When you board, there will be a kiosk set up for making specialty dining reservations.  MDR reservations are made in the MDR.  Just go to that kiosk and make whatever reservations for the week (including your lunchtime reservations).  This is where early boarding matters.  The earlier you get to that kiosk, the more likely it will be that you will get the days and times of your choice for specialty dining AND the shorter that line is likely to be for waiting to make your reservations.

In addition to the kiosk in the Promenade, you can also make your specialty dining at any specialty restaurant but I usually loathe to do that as the restaurants (if they are serving) are busy trying to seat people and the last thing they need are a bunch of reservation-seekers mucking up the process....but that's just me....

36 minutes ago, RafaellaCG said:

Pretty sure Chops is only for those who have the key. I've never done it though, so grain of salt.

No, the Key people get lunch from a Chops menu, served in the MTD area. 

But also, to the OP...........be advise that whatever you can book in cruise planner (CP) for lunch on embarkation day will be available. So, if Chops shows no lunch availability that means it will not be open. In my past experience on Oasis in Jan, over capacity sailing, Giovanni's and Chops were the only specialty open for lunch. What @WAAAYTOOO says is correct. Giovanni's looked pretty empty but there were only two servers on for lunch, so they took only a few reservations. 

On our last Harmony sailing embarkation day we meandered up to Coastal Kitchen for lunch after a walk around and the check in at muster. Between the other suites guests & Pins there were zero empty tables. Embarkation lunch was packed, again not one table. I learned my lesson, I book embarkation lunch at a specialty when #CK is not available on the ship, otherwise we will visit #CK first. Lesson learned, plan for an unhurried first day luncheon experience. Fair is fair, those who arrived ahead of us enjoyed their experience but sadly the tables didn't even free up quickly as people seemed to stay at tables until cabins opened up. 

17 hours ago, barjpoe said:

There is also the Park Cafe

park cafe is my favorite as well, although depending on timing, you may find it can get crowded to eat/linger after your meal. 

i too am considering embarkation day lunch as the cabins will be opening later than usual and we’d like to have somewhere to relax before getting into our cabins.

this is thread is a great wealth of knowledge, thank you to all!! 💚💚