Odyssey Over March Break

RobbieD

A colleague that was on the Odyssey sailing a couple weeks ago said that a few teens did some pretty significant damage (smashed an elevator console, damaged some art installations, ruined a wedding photo set up). The culprits were apparently caught on video and the families were “asked” to vacate the ship at the next port (Aruba). Anyone else hear about this?

15 hours ago, RobbieD said:

a few teens did some pretty significant damage (smashed an elevator console, damaged some art installations, ruined a wedding photo set up).

This sounds like a pretty significant $$$ amount of damage. Makes me wonder if any sort of restitution was "arranged" in addition to "involuntary disembarkation".

wow thats awful, we were on The Odyssey in Feb and it was great - I was with my pre teen son and I did not see any of this type of behavior, I did notice s few cracks in the elevator glass panel, could be poor design.  

I was really pleased with this vacation and plan to book Odyssey again next Feb break as I felt it was really safe had a family vibe not any kind of party vibe.  Maybe they need more activites for teens to keep them busy.

2 hours ago, julesandjagger said:

I was really pleased with this vacation and plan to book Odyssey again next Feb break as I felt it was really safe had a family vibe not any kind of party vibe.  Maybe they need more activites for teens to keep them busy.

Things happen when they think no one is looking.  A lot of teens won’t do the activities , it’s “not cool”.  I watched a group of teens on Anthem last February and I could immediately identify the alpha male.  I’m sure had he said jump over the side  a good number of them would have. (Yes an extreme example but you get my drift) One late night the elevator door opened and out flew a glass that then shattered in the lobby, 3 boys walked off, 2 immediately exited left the third apologized and started cleaning it when one of the adults told him a few things.  
personally I don’t think entire families should be banned from Royal  due to the stupidity of a teenager.  Paying for the damage is a different story. 

We were on Wonder a couple weeks ago, got to meet Matt 😀. 1800 plus kids, what i noticed was by about day three or four the teen packs start to form, as @Pattycruise said. There are a couple of leaders and then a group of followers. I was riding down the elevator to deck 5 and we got stopped on deck six, there was a teenager making antics to a group in another elevator. When we got to deck 5 and I was stepping out a group of about six went racing full speed by the elevator doors and almost knocked me down. Then you get the groups that sit on the stairs. Your're trying to walk down, I can't do up, and have to make your way through them as they are spread all over, mostly looking through their phones. Still we had a great cruise, after we got the kids in the cabin above us to stop jumping around for hours at a time till 11pm when we called customer service. 

They defiantly do seem to find one another and form clicks and packs.  I took my teens over spring break and they found plenty of friends to hang out with.  I made a point of talking to their new "friends" and introducing myself to their parents too before I felt comfortable enough to let them hang out together.  I did follow them around from time to time to make sure they were all behaving and being safe.  Fortunately for my kids, because of my job as a game developer, the other kids thought I was cool because I could talk to them about gaming, streaming, and other things they were interested in, so it was not awkward for my kids when I would just show up out of the blue and say hi.  I pretty much let them do what they wanted to do together, but they did know they were being watched by me.