What's your epic cruise fail?

Matt

On 3/26/2023 at 7:15 PM, Matt said:

Forgot underwear?

Its a cruise, why pack underwear?  Besides people are always posting that the formal night and dress codes are a thing of the past so why bother, right?  The fact is it is also a space saver to not have to pack undergarments when there is so little room in the suit case.

My first RC cruise, I forgot to change my phone settings to stay on ship time. I enjoyed my day on Labadee, looked at my phone and thought I had a little over an hour to get back on the ship. So I had time for one more drink. I get my drink at the bar, just sitting there chilling out. I start looking around and realize I'm the only one around and all the crew members are busy folding up beach chairs, closing down the bar, etc. My error suddenly dawned on me and realized I had ten minutes until all-aboard. 

I'm pretty sure they wouldn't have left me behind on Labadee, but definitely don't want to take that chance again. 

My husband and I were going on a cruise alone for his 40th.  A week before we were leaving my uncle died unexpectedly.  Then my sister's best friend died unexpectedly a couple days later (my sister was supposed to watch our kids).  I spent the week having no clue if we could go, because my sister's friend lived in Colorado and we are in CT - she was leaving for the funeral.  My mom said she would watch the kids, so we threw everything together for her to watch the kids and whatever we needed for the cruise and caught our flight.  The day of embarkation was also the day of my uncle's funeral.  I got to the port and handed them my passport and instantly realized my mistake when I saw the picture - it was my expired passport.  My mom thankfully wasn't at the funeral yet, so she ran to my house and took pics of my birth certificate and marriage certificate and emailed them to the rep at the "special help desk."

As soon as I got home I shredded the expired passport!

On 3/26/2023 at 7:37 PM, smokeybandit said:

A few years ago we didn't check the expiration date on some of that Badger sun screen cream.

My poor son looked like an angry steamed lobster. Fortunately we had aloe.

Happened to our daughter.

On 3/27/2023 at 6:27 AM, TexanTwoStep said:

Fell asleep on my balcony after a long day with the tequila whistle lady at Senor Frogs in Cozumel -- at 1pm.

My wife left me there until about 4pm and the damage had been done -- I looked like Doug when they find him on the roof at the end of The Hangover (burnt to a crisp).  The last two days of my cruise were miserable lol

Haha, yes the tequila whistle lady! I have done the same thing but in my tequila and Tecate haze I also seem to remember the servers and the music going into a slow motion dance to a Michael Jackson tune which was both interesting and horrifying at the same time. It was the BIG Tecates too!

735D33E9-1EED-4629-9C37-E21BE741A9A2.jpeg

Didn’t realize water went up the spiral stairs on the Wonder jacuzzi in the solarium. Wanted to see the jacuzzi better and planned on using it later. Went down the stairs with shoes and pants on. Looked down and I was knee deep in water. Couldn’t wear my shoes for several days until they dried.

Was on a recent excursion in St John. Went to use the bathroom and came back to a high tide disaster. Snorkel gear, towel, cap and shirt soaked and covered in sand. No problem, just go back up to the shower and rinse it all off. Problem was only one flip flop! After a rinse off and hanging stuff in sun to dry off I walked the beach and amazingly found the other flip flop way beyond what I thought possible it could be washed by the tide. Half buried in sand right next to a family's stuff. They were in the water, and all of them saw me walk up to their stuff wondering what I was doing. I pulled my flip flop out of the sand and held it up for them to see I was not robbing them! They all laughed and waved. Awkward! I was picturing me barefoot all the way back to the ship burning my feet!

Edited by Rory
typo

Wife forgot to pack our youngest shirts.  Left them in a neatly folded pile on her bed.  She franticly searched every suitcase on the ship twice hoping to find the missing shirts.  Finally, with tears in her eyes, my wife asks me what is the child going to wear.  I said go down to the logo shop and buy her a bunch of Royal tees.  Problem solved and disaster averted.  We all had a great cruise.

Oh let's see...I think it was our 2016 cruise.  We flew down early, rented a vehicle and took a tour of Big Cat Rescue (yes, that Big Cat Rescue with that crazy Carol lady.  This was way before the Tiger King excitement).  We took tons of great pictures, it was really a cool place.  Time to take the vehicle back, get back to the hotel and realized I didn't have our BRAND NEW camera...with all our great pictures on it.  Get back to the rental place to see if the camera may still be there, no such luck...black camera case, black interior and I missed it.  We get to the ship, things are going pretty good....well, at least it seemed that way.  We did end up buying the same camera we lost on the ship (thank you in laws for the OBC).  Now my order of things may not be correct but I don't think that part matters much. 

Now I had been feeling a little off prior to leaving for the cruise but didn't think much of it.  Hubby said I should go to the doc before we left, I didn't listen.  We booked an excursion to Tulum (a short pleasant ferry ride to the bus - nearly puked from the chopiness and wasn't feeling good), get on the bus and drive, eventually get to Tulum and the coordinator didn't have the proper paperwork for our group.  After waiting 45 minutes for that to get straightened out, we finally get to see the ruins (rushed, but we saw them).  I'm still not feeling 100% and starting to think I should have gone to the doc.  We get back to the ship, I'm still not feeling great and decide I should go see the ship doc.  We make our way to the doc and he tells me what we pretty much already thought..UTI.  Gives me some meds and off we go...Less $300 charged to our account (thank you again to the in laws for the OBC).  Okay so now we got a new camera and some meds to clear up the UTI.  Time for a dinner date at Chops.  We get all dressed up and head to the restaurant.  Decent dinner, I had some issues with looking out the window and getting seasick.  We start heading back to the room and the sole of hubby's shoe comes off.  Apparently, they dry rotted since he hadn't worn them for a few years.  He walks back to the room in his socks.  

It was still a great cruise and maybe this doesn't constitute as a fail, but it certainly made things interesting.  And pretty funny after the fact..

• 3 weeks later...

Ship leaves LA at 4:00.  Conference calls are supposed to end no later than 11:00am. They do not.  Get in car and drive to port while finishing calls.  Arrive!!  Calls done!!  Vacation with my family ahead (kids and grandkids waiting for me on the ship for lunch).  I open the back of my car to get my bag and . . . No bag.  It remains sitting by the garage door at home.  What to do?  Board with nothing but what I’m wearing? Try to make it home and back on time?  I went with the dash for home praying for traffic cooperation.   Traffic cooperated and I made it on the ship.  I can now attest that if you arrive late, there are no lines and one boards very quickly (like less than 5 minutes).

We drove 9 hours to Cocoa Beach the day before a B2B cruise on Mariner of the Seas.  We checked into our hotel, went to dinner, and enjoyed a beverage or two at the hotels evening reception.  Finally in our room to relax, I took off my shoes and noticed I had on two different colored sneakers and one was a Sketchers and one was New Balance. They were the only shoes I brought besides flip flops!  Luckily was able to get another pair that matched the next morning before boarding! 

Did a SCUBA dive excursion. In the pre-digital age. I had purchased one of the small water proof film cameras and used it to take some pictures during the dive. Once I shot the entire roll, thinking I had gotten some pretty good photos, I stuck the camera in a Velcro pouch of the BC I had rented. When I got back to the ship I realized I had forgotten the camera.. I did what I could to see if I could get it back with no luck. Always hated I never got to see how those photos turned out.