hoping to be reunited on harmony... (4.29.23-5.6.23 ~ harmony of the seas)

asquared17

35 days today!!

well fam... J and i are at it again!

• harmony of the seas
  • april 29-may 6th
  • miami > st. maarten > san juan > PDCC > miami

so, fun fact - the very first cruise i ever managed to get J to go on was indeed, on harmony, the first week of may. hence, our live blog title 😂  since then, we've worked out way through the fleet and in various cabin categories and can confidently state that the oasis class is our favorite. we've managed to not kill each other (she has much more patience with humanity in general 🤣 ) and is very go with the flow to my type-A (or is it triple A at this point??) personality.

this sailing was actually a total afterthought for us; since the pandemic, we'd only intended to go on symphony in february (many of you know how that turned out) and happened upon the deal of a life time for a central park balcony. we are committing the cardinal sin of flying down the morning we sail (details tbd on that one because we may be changing some details to make that morning of a little less horrible) but are basically in it for the sunshine and a return to st. maarten.

lastly... i haven't told J this yet -- and i am pretty sure she hasn't noticed -- but we are, in fact, on deck 11.

pray for us. 😅

• asquared17 changed the title to hoping to be reunited on harmony... (4.29.23-5.6.23 ~ harmony of the seas)

:some more background info:

harmony is probably not my first choice for O-class ships (we like symphony and oasis the best) but i do prefer sabor to el loco fresh, especially now that ELF no longer serves breakfast. ...excuse me, i need to go into mourning now. i miss the days of el loco breakfast. i know you can go to the jammer and get all the pieces and do it yourself but it's just not the same!! #firstworld problems.

this is the least planned of the three cruises we've had on the books from december 2022-now, so i am also going to try and challenge myself to pack less. ...key word being challenge.

we are also very aware of the fact that the sun is going to be HOT HOT HOT. much hotter than our usual times of december/february, so anywhere we can find an umbrella when in the sun will be a priority for us. even we know our limits.

dinner

we have reservations at sabor one night and will probably go back there for dinner at least once more if J likes it. i am definitely going to try and get us into jamies for the truffle pasta one night as my love for truffles cannot be stated enough. since we are not in a JS, there will be no dinners at coastal kitchen for us - i have already made MDR resos for every night at 6:45 as a precaution, as our one glaring miss on odyssey in december was not having MDR or other dinner options and we felt it keenly. honestly, i could eat tuna fish (un)melts from park cafe each day close to dinner time and probably be fine, supplementing with pizza from sorrentos - but even i love a good salad and grilled vegetables at times. we'll figure it out as we go along.

ports/excursions

we are returning to the holland house on st. maarten!! i have already emailed the hotel to have us slotted in for a day pass (two chairs, umbrella, and 4 drinks along with wifi and bathrooms) for $25 plus tax. it probably isn't the cheapest of the beach chair options, but we love the staff and the white umbrellas and the peace of being there. we also feel safe there (since we've been there a few times) and that goes a long way, too.

this is the second sailing that we scored beach club passes at PDCC on the BF sale, so we'll be going there on the last day. this time, we will walk straight on through instead of taking the tram and i'm hoping to score the seats we had again last time. (though i would definitely change up my lunch order)

drinks

we each ordered the water package when it was still the 24 oz dink dink bottles. since then, it has changed in the cruise planner to the 1-liter bottles of water... so i have no idea if we're going to get two 1-liter cases of 12 bottles between us OR FOUR 1-liter cases of water. 🤪 STAY TUNED ON THAT. if we get four, there is absolutely no way we can drink all of that. i think someone here has returned/rejected a water package before - would be willing to fight for the returned OBC if that's the case. (more money for specialty dining!!)

one of the things we did not do on symphony the last time was to grab a drink at wonderland. i am intrigued by their drinks menu and love that we could go for a quick diamond drink and then carry on to dinner. it's loosely on the agenda for us this time around, but we'll see how it goes. 😂 we will likely divert to vintages for champagne and call it a day.

entertainment

we have resos for the aqua show and for grease. we didn't make it to hairspray last time because that was the day we needed to change cabins, but i really WOULD like to make it a show onboard one of these days. the aqua show is always my favorite, so i am looking forward to that as well. we didn't (but don't usually) get tickets for the comedy or ice shows, but that'll probably be when we head to CP to play uno.

lastly, we have a little bit of OBC that we will split and then of course, that extra $50 for the premiere pass fiasco -- perhaps we can use that towards jaimes.

i've already printed out my packing lists -- don't judge, i have one for outfits (ostensibly so i don't overpack;  it may come as no surprise that this doesn't work as planned 😂) and one for everything else. it is... double sided. (i am very type-A, guys.)

given that we are in a CP balcony and not the JS this time, i know there's going to be a little less space than we are used to, so i am going to TRY to pack less. seriously. i swear.

the gif choice once again is CLUTCH 😍 also YAY we are both going to white knuckle it with the same day fly in nonsense 😅 (probably me white-knuckling it, let's be real hahaha)

i booked sabor a while back, but i am thinking of holding off on jamie's until we get on board. i am always intrigued if they still do that three-night dining package special on board. we would definitely do that if i could talk J into it. i would hit jamie's 2x if it meant i could have truffle pasta 😍

i'm intrigued that harmony is your favorite! she is the first Oasis class i did without my parents/first time i sailed with J, so i suppose i have a bit of a soft spot for her as well. i do miss the champagne bar on allure, though.

Harmony was my first star class, so far only, and the first time I met blog members. I did a 5N this past Nov on her and even with the shenanigans I had a great time. I am doing Allure again, but Oasis has been my least favorite, I have Symphony on the books for 2025. I prefer Jamie's pasta to all the other iterations of Italian throughout the ships, with Giovanni's table being the worst. 

i'm so excited you have symphony on the books for 2025!! she is our favorite (even with the deck 11 hellscape 😂) - i am looking forward to going back on harmony and seeing how she has aged over the years. when we went on her initially in 2017, she was fairly shiny and new to us. i'm looking back on pictures now and it was pre-covid and i was much smaller 😅 rip my youth ahahahaha

taking a walk down memory lane with some harmony pics from 2017: 

BE81DE79-CF0E-43A1-8A6B-30556AFE33A0.jpeg

labadee!!

8D364056-F76C-48B1-B0F2-A5986352524F.jpeg

morning walk picture

8B36F76C-FC82-4FD4-A77C-175B1CA49E3F.jpeg

i can hear my father in my head (the photographer) asking me why on earth did i take a vertical here?? also i think this is cozumel based on the color of the water and the pier.

4F7B0CFA-87EE-41C3-9199-F04D3708CB48.jpeg

that boardwalk though... i have a better black and white version on oasis i think.

76B96F5C-0C1E-4469-9101-287CACB8F58E.jpeg

she is LARGE and in charge. we call her "the bohemith" (a play on words for 'behemoth' -- our family is kooky 🤪)

514AB10D-803E-4BC5-A93F-00DB86A5343E.jpeg

labadee... again??

wonderland with the devilish smoking eggs!! not sure if they still do this?

EC008639-CA9F-4CBD-ADF5-4DF72CAE2F21.thumb.jpeg.b842f9f2b0564ed64e95563f61228d2e.jpeg

when i wished i was actually 6'2, and not just in my mind, for one of my favorite dresses. (note the evian in the background as we faithfully continue to drink water)

D8AE7C7C-F334-433E-BBB3-A863C1EEA8FA.jpeg

better cozumel shot (IS this cozumel??? my mind is a blank.)

B64D5C64-C079-4EED-9139-68986AB70C7A.jpeg

J gave up the ghost on her lemongrass martini from our dinner in 150 CP, so somehow i wound up with both of them...

@asquared17Oh heck yes! Following along. I was the water package cancel person. They gave me something other then spring water, at my request they took it back and I was refunded refundable OBC within the day. 

Like @Ampurp85 I don't have social media either, this is it so I also learned something today. We don't even facebook, just never felt it added anything to our lives. Kiddo put up a fight at first, now she doesn't even miss it. ( I think)  I prefer Jaime's as well to Giovanni's for Italian. 

Did you submit a RUB? Details please, lol! Harmony was my first Oasis class and my first Royal sailing. We tried it after DCL became full of themselves, cost ridiculously high and product diminished. We are going to sail her new ship the Wish, but Royal is where our heart lies now. 💙

Ugh, Symphony has continued to escape me, 2 sailings on her canceled, I'm hoping to sail her while everyone else is on the Icon!

8 hours ago, Ampurp85 said:

See that's it.......other than this blog and Facebook I have no social media. So I haven't learned all the cool youth-like hacks 🤣. But ooh it's nice that people are cruising and I can read all the blogs with different experiences. I'm learning new things all the time.

and i am the dinosaur that never ever signed up for facebook 🤣 despite all of my peers doing so hahaha

YES @Neesa i couldn't remember if you were the water package returnee or not -- good to know about this, as i fear we will have far too much water and even with diamond drinks, won't need the second case.

so, we didn't submit a RU bid; i do keep checking to see if the minimum bids come down but it so far nothing yet. we have one of the extended balconies in central park, and while i would LOVE an ocean balcony (and i think we could swing the minimum bid of $50 each) i am too type-A/prone to motion sickness to leave that up to chance. with our luck, we'd get an obstructed view deck 6 forward ocean view and i'd want to fling myself into the abyss. 😂 also we paid $700 pp for this cabin, and the only other one that super appeals is either the extended ocean view (on the bump out) or the JS, but the JS is minimum bid of $430 pp and we just... are trying to be more mindful of our spend on this one. i thnk we'd rather have the OBC for a specialty dinner etc.

i love royal up in theory but i am for sure that person who wants to pick where their cabin is and hates leaving things to chance 😂 and these categories are too many for me to narrow it down haha

The RUB dilemma, I get it. I took great care and loved my Serenade OS cabin, the balcony was fantastic. When I won the 2 bedroom owners suite on deck 7 I for a second did think when i entered, oh no! I was never on deck 7 ( I loved it) but the balcony was smaller then I expected as well as the no hot water for days back on the aft.

Also, I did notice moving forward even the minimum bid prices are ridiculously high. Actually I'm excited for your review of that cabin, seems like a "score" 

8 hours ago, Neesa said:

The RUB dilemma, I get it. I took great care and loved my Serenade OS cabin, the balcony was fantastic. When I won the 2 bedroom owners suite on deck 7 I for a second did think when i entered, oh no! I was never on deck 7 ( I loved it) but the balcony was smaller then I expected as well as the no hot water for days back on the aft.

Also, I did notice moving forward even the minimum bid prices are ridiculously high. Actually I'm excited for your review of that cabin, seems like a "score" 

yeah i don't know what they're on with these RU bid prices but i was clicking on that slider and laughing quietly in shock like who is paying this?

Agents Of Shield Idk GIF by TV Guide

(finally, a gif of someone i actually recognize!)

i am excited for our little cabin and the double balcony, i think it will be fun (deck 11 notwithstanding). i'm hoping we'll be able to hear the music in CP too from our balcony and stay awake later than our typical embarrassingly early bed time 😂

i loved your serenade suite! (minus the hot water issues and that weird cabin shade) that ship is a real gem 💚

2 hours ago, melmar02 said:

I love that tropical print dress... with POCKETS! I think both those ship photos are Cozumel. 

cozumel! i am vindicated 🤩

i miss that dress, but past me was a bit smaller than post-pandemic me 🤣 ah well, thank goodness for pictures!

lighter toiletry bottles came today!

https://www.amazon.com/Leakproof-Refillable-Containers-Essential-Toiletries/dp/B08613DL34/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=AA9&qid=1680048424&sr=8-1

i already have a set of these and they work surprisingly well. it may come as no surprise that i use my label maker and put labels on my bottles, so i'll be excited to fill these up with the necessary liquids/gels for the trip.

this morning, i realized that i'm going to have to pack on the sunday before we leave since our flight is at 7am saturday and i will be working all week. we are kicking around the idea of staying at one of the hotels near the airport so i don't have to get ~weird again with that pre-4am wakeup call. it would save us the hour of travel time but also (hopefully) mean that i could actually sleep and not lay awake all night long. this would be a godsend, especially with the same day flight and sail.

i am also super grateful we don't get crammed in like sardines for the muster drill anymore -- a same day fly + sail and then an in-person muster with people stacked around is not a great combination for me. not sure if anyone else gets this way?? J, thankfully, is not phased by any of this and my usual calm in the storm (no pun intended) when we encounter these and other potential roadblocks.

this will be our last flight in and out of MIA, i can promise you that. even though @Lovetocruise2002 was cursed with the FLL flight, i just can't stand miami airport 😅 maybe this particular flight will be a breeze and we'll get our luggage lickety split. (last time, it took FOREVER.)

32 days to go!!

Following! We just got back from this itinerary on harmony and it was a great time. I thought PDCC on the last day would throw us for a loop but we actually enjoyed it, great way to end the week… as an aside, we had literally never found a duck before on all our cruises and they were plentiful on this ship. Have the best time!

12 hours ago, Cruiser4Life said:

Following! We just got back from this itinerary on harmony and it was a great time. I thought PDCC on the last day would throw us for a loop but we actually enjoyed it, great way to end the week… as an aside, we had literally never found a duck before on all our cruises and they were plentiful on this ship. Have the best time!

hooray!! i'm so glad to hear you had a great time!! i love PDCC on the last day -- like you said, a great way to end it 🥰 happy to hear the ducks were alive and kicking (swimming?)!!

thanks for following along!! 💚

On 3/25/2023 at 2:05 PM, asquared17 said:

we are committing the cardinal sin of flying down the morning we sail (

Omg...I will be white knuckling (if that is even a term lol) for you both!

On 3/25/2023 at 4:00 PM, asquared17 said:

but i do prefer sabor to el loco fresh

I am curious why?  We love Mexican food but not a fan of Sabor at all. I much rather have El Loco.

On 3/25/2023 at 4:00 PM, asquared17 said:

harmony is probably not my first choice for O-class ships

I am curious what you will think this time around. We have now sailed HM 3 times. I have long thought of HM as my favourite Oasis class ship but I don't think that after the sailing from 2 weeks ago, I can say that. But I really want to see your impressions of it since you also sailed her pre-covid and now returning post covid.

On 3/26/2023 at 11:34 PM, Ampurp85 said:

I have Symphony on the books for 2025

When? I recently booked SY again too for 2025. @GregD and I will be on in March 2025.

On 3/27/2023 at 7:38 PM, Ampurp85 said:

I need to become tech savvy and block my face to post pictures. 

Or you could say the heck with it and post your face after years of hiding 😉

21 hours ago, asquared17 said:

even though @Lovetocruise2002 was cursed with the FLL flight,

We made it to FLL this time around! Sending nothing but good vibes your way!

@Lovetocruise2002 I am booked on Jan 26th 2025 sailing, but it is refundable and subject to change. I just know I will do Symphony either Jan or Feb 2025. I know as a teacher you go during spring break in March, but I shy away from those sailings, no summer sailings either. Also, it may be a yolo moment and I do show my face one day. 

Lord Of The Rings Yolo GIF by Mashable

25 minutes ago, Ampurp85 said:

@Lovetocruise2002 I am booked on Jan 26th 2025 sailing, but it is refundable and subject to change. I just know I will do Symphony either Jan or Feb 2025. I know as a teacher you go during spring break in March, but I shy away from those sailings, no summer sailings either. Also, it may be a yolo moment and I do show my face one day. 

Lord Of The Rings Yolo GIF by Mashable

You know you want to, all the cool kids will be there!

Season 4 Reaction GIF by The Office

1 hour ago, Ampurp85 said:

I am booked on Jan 26th 2025 sailing, but it is refundable and subject to change. I just know I will do Symphony either Jan or Feb 2025. I know as a teacher you go during spring break in March, but I shy away from those sailings, no summer sailings either. Also, it may be a yolo moment and I do show my face one day. 

@Lovetocruise2002 i am busy campaigning to get @Ampurp85 on my december 8th 2024 symphony sailing instead and will be CHAPPED if she diverts to you and @GregD!!!

just kidding, i of course will be happy that you guys get to hang (WITHOUT ME!! 😩)

5 hours ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

I am curious why?  We love Mexican food but not a fan of Sabor at all. I much rather have El Loco.

I am curious what you will think this time around. We have now sailed HM 3 times. I have long thought of HM as my favourite Oasis class ship but I don't think that after the sailing from 2 weeks ago, I can say that. But I really want to see your impressions of it since you also sailed her pre-covid and now returning post covid.

formatting is wonky on mobile view, bear with me 😂

so we were big el loco fresh fans when we first were intro’d to it on oasis, fresh after her amplification. we used to go there for breakfast each morning and commented on how much better than sabor it was. 

post-covid, we hit it on odyssey (which was ultimately too narrow of a ship for me; give me central park or give me death!! …at least no one can say i am dramatic 😆) and it just wasn’t the same.

i can’t tell if it was the crowd crush that got to me (sooooo many people, evoking shades of windjammer chaos and making me think of germs 😅) or the ingredients change with supply chain issues due to the restart, but it was not the ELF experience we loved so much. actually i think we avoided it entirely on symphony because it was always so crowded and seemed like a flash mob was waiting to break out at any moment 😂

my HOPE is that sabor is a bit toned down crowds-wise and that the food/ingredients are of a slightly higher quality, being a (somewhat) specialty restaurant. we had sabor on allure and LOVED it (pre-pandemic) so i’m crossing my fingers that will be a similar experience this time around. 

also… we are big tequila fans in this household and it’s nice to have a home base for a handcrafted margarita 🥳🍹 i am that purist who doesn’t like a sweet and sour mix marg and prefers tequila, lime juice, a splash of club soda/seltzer and a little agave or oj  to lightly sweeten. i will always deviate for a spicy margarita though…. and now i am craving margaritas at 10:30 at night 🙈

i found your harmony liveblog very telling; it seemed (at least to me) that she was the most rigid of (somewhat random) rules, even up to accommodating you all in star class. this made me a bit concerned for the non-suites folks and i will be interested to see how it goes this time around. 

party deck 11 aside, the entire staff on symphony was so phenomenal that the bar is set pretty high. it’s unfair to compare the two, so i will try to go in with an open mind 💚 and full of happy nostalgia for our first time aboard harmony. 

On 3/29/2023 at 10:03 PM, asquared17 said:

@Lovetocruise2002 i am busy campaigning to get @Ampurp85 on my december 8th 2024 symphony sailing instead and will be CHAPPED if she diverts to you and @GregD!!!

just kidding, i of course will be happy that you guys get to hang (WITHOUT ME!! 😩)

Girl, are you insane?! Symphony is sailing out of your backyard in 2024! What is wrong with you?! 😅😅

No, i get the itinerary sux, but you could always join us 5/31/24. 😁

13 hours ago, Pooch said:

Ok I am on board here.  My family & I will be getting on as you get off.  Sailed her last year in an Owners Suite.  OMG talk about spoiled!!  Only JS this time but I can’t wait anyway.  Take good care of her for me!

yay!! so happy to have you along 💚💚 i have always wanted to be in an owners suite 🤩 promise to take good care of her and maybe i’ll try to coordinate leaving a duck behind for you somewhere!!

12 hours ago, SweetPea said:

Girl, are you insane?! Symphony is sailing out of your backyard in 2024! What is wrong with you?! 😅😅

No, i get the itinerary sux, but you could always join us 5/31/24. 😁

oh my sweet friend (see what i did there 🤣) if i could sail out of bayonne/down the atlantic, i would do it in a heartbeat. alas that sailor life is not for me. but would LOVE to sync up with the truffle twin 🥰🥰

Oh no, are you sensitive to our utterly pristine Mid-Atlantic seaglass waters?! 😅

We've sailed out of here year-round, and definitely had issues Nov - March on occasion. But knock on wood, it's been smooth sailing late April to August. I'm curious what your experiences are. 

But then again, i will put up with almost anything not to fly ... ✈️

@Pooch that cabin is STUNNING 🤩😍🤩 we are taking the leap to a grand suite in our re-do on symphony next december and it is the highest category i have ever sailed with J (my travel buddy) and not my parents. i am looking forward to it more than i can say!! these pictures just make it even more special. thank you for sharing!!!

6 hours ago, SweetPea said:

Oh no, are you sensitive to our utterly pristine Mid-Atlantic seaglass waters?! 😅

We've sailed out of here year-round, and definitely had issues Nov - March on occasion. But knock on wood, it's been smooth sailing late April to August. I'm curious what your experiences are. 

But then again, i will put up with almost anything not to fly ... ✈️

🤣 you know me too well, friend. given that we sail primarily in december and february, the bayonne port is not for me. alas.

i hear you on the flying, though. sometimes i wish we lived in florida simply to take advantage of the cruises minus the flights... and then i remember the florida humidity and my lions mane hair 🦁 and i think of our NJ summers and how fantastic they are and i grumble but accept my fate.

...in the meantime, i stare at the mileage amounts to book our flights for our december flight and want to shake a fist at the universe. 37K points for a round trip to fort lauderdale GET OUT OF MY HOUSE!!

just four more saturdays from today and we'll be sailing away...

and then i am staring at the oasis sailing in february, rationalizing that J will finally have made diamond status and i will be diamond plus, so we could swing a balcony now that we will both have entrance to the club... and i will have a specialty BOGO dinner for D+...

J will probably kill me if i do a next/future cruise credit while we're aboard harmony... but i am already getting ideas because i do NOT want to be here in february AT ALL.

oh the tangled webs we weave...

4 hours ago, asquared17 said:

@Pooch that cabin is STUNNING 🤩😍🤩 we are taking the leap to a grand suite in our re-do on symphony next december and it is the highest category i have ever sailed with J (my travel buddy) and not my parents. i am looking forward to it more than i can say!! these pictures just make it even more special. thank you for sharing!!!

🤣 you know me too well, friend. given that we sail primarily in december and february, the bayonne port is not for me. alas.

i hear you on the flying, though. sometimes i wish we lived in florida simply to take advantage of the cruises minus the flights... and then i remember the florida humidity and my lions mane hair 🦁 and i think of our NJ summers and how fantastic they are and i grumble but accept my fate.

...in the meantime, i stare at the mileage amounts to book our flights for our december flight and want to shake a fist at the universe. 37K points for a round trip to fort lauderdale GET OUT OF MY HOUSE!!

just four more saturdays from today and we'll be sailing away...

I get it. My hair hates humidity too. I get a keratin every 3 months because the more ancient i get, the wavier and frizzier it gets! (What do you call us? Vintages? 🤣). 

Do you fly out of Newark? Direct? Jet Blue or United? I had like a 1300$ credit i just let expire on United from pre lockdown. I wish I'd known. You totally could've had it. 

16 hours ago, SweetPea said:

I get it. My hair hates humidity too. I get a keratin every 3 months because the more ancient i get, the wavier and frizzier it gets! (What do you call us? Vintages? 🤣). 

Do you fly out of Newark? Direct? Jet Blue or United? I had like a 1300$ credit i just let expire on United from pre lockdown. I wish I'd known. You totally could've had it. 

typically EWR to FLL on united bc our jetblue experiences have been… a SCENE. every. time. 

let’s divert for a moment of story time:

the last time i flew jetblue down to florida, there were MULTIPLE fistfights breaking out in the terminal, women smoking in the restrooms, and unattended children in search of their parents. i look around like that kid in the middle of the scene in mean girls when all the catfights were breaking out, going “when can we return to the civilization of united and terminal C???”

the time before that, i was meeting up with my family for business and flying solo (which i am comfortable with) - we got fully loaded into the plane and we’re ready to push back when there is a long quiet pause and the captain gets on to tell us that we will all need to disembark IMMEDIATELY. then the swat team and bomb sniffing dogs came. 

evidently they’d found empty shell casings from some type of gun on the floor of the plane. we also were, coincidentally, at the same gate where of the 9/11 flights had departed and no one was taking any chances. 

TO BE FAIR!! this was the former terminal A… but let’s just say i am in no rush to jetblue again 😂

ps i think @Ampurp85 coined the vintages term that we have now adopted into our vernacular 😂 my cousin is over in the UK right now and she said some call older people, “olds.” 😅😳

i think i prefer vintages!!!