Anthem of the Seas going to Southampton

My question is do they keep Independence in Southampton as well? Or do they send her elsewhere?  

The British cruise market has been probably best aspect of European cruises from RCL's standpoint (financially) but considering we've never really seen more than a ship or two home ported there, that may be an indication of what the market can handle.

Id love for Anthem of the Seas to come to Southampton even for just a short season. I don't live too far away from Southampton and can see the ships go past from my work. Plus it would tempt me to book a cruise onboard her.

Maybe they may test to see if a new class of ship based from Southampton will be worth while, like what they are doing with Oasis of the Seas next autumn.

• 3 weeks later...

I think Matt is right and she will come to Southampton.

I know that there are also rumours she will replace the independence but I wonder if Royal Caribbean plans to keep both there and use one of them to run a permanent Transatlantic Schedule to rival Cunard.

This would be a very smart move if they did as there is definitely a need for another Cruise Line to do this as many Brits , US Citizens and Europeans would prefer to have a choice. I would definitely use RC for this as we both want to go to new york and this would be a great way to get there and back.

Here's hoping :)

Europe is such an odd market.  Royal Caribbean put a lot of their eggs in the European basket and got burned in last few years with less revenue than they expected so they pulled a lot back.  And now it looks like Anthem is going to Europe and I agree with Tyler I wouldn't be shocked to see an Oasis-class ship there either in the near future.

Europe is such an odd market.  Royal Caribbean put a lot of their eggs in the European basket and got burned in last few years with less revenue than they expected so they pulled a lot back.  And now it looks like Anthem is going to Europe and I agree with Tyler I wouldn't be shocked to see an Oasis-class ship there either in the near future.

I would like to cruise Europe someday. I want to see Greece, Italy, Spain. And I would much rather see those places from the comfort of my brand of cruise ships rather than spending nights in tiny European hotel rooms. However, currently I can't justify the high price of flying to Europe to get on a cruise for 5 or 7 days.

What I might do it take a repositioning cruise over to Europe and then stay onboard for the next sailing to see the sights then fly home. Still the cost is high but I guess you have to balance out the experience of seeing "the old world".  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hmmm, if they position the Anthem of the Seas in the UK, I wonder if they'd consider moving the Independence to Asia/Australia...

I do believe larger ships will make there way to Asia/Australia just because all these new ships coming online are going to force other ships elsewhere.  So question is will it be Independence or maybe some of the other Voyager class ships.

I do believe larger ships will make there way to Asia/Australia just because all these new ships coming online are going to force other ships elsewhere.  So question is will it be Independence or maybe some of the other Voyager class ships.

Any of these options are most welcome here! :)

• 1 month later...

As expected, Anthem of the Seas will be in Southampton.

Not many more details at all revealed but RC did indicate we'd be getting a lot more info come 2014.

I wonder if the Broadway show on Anthem will be British themed? I feel like a lot of ships right now (NCL's Breakway, Getaway, and Quantum) are customizing several elements or onboard experiences to the cities and or areas where they are home ported. :D  We have yet to see the Broadway show on Quantum, but several shows would fit the ships theme including Jersey Boys and Wicked.

How does Royal Caribbean keep all this so hush hush? In this modern age of instant technology how can something remain so quiet? We know the US spies on every country in the world in many different ways. :ph34r:  We know who has what weapons and what they are doing with them. But we can't crack the code on what Royal Caribbean is up to with their latest class of ships.  :unsure:

It is interested to note the pace at which this new class of ships are being built at a different ship building company/yard when compared to the Freedom and Oasis class. Things seem to be progressing rather quickly this time around with the second ship already beginning to be built and it will be released only a few months after the first. Not a whole year like as in Freedom or Oasis class.  :o

To say i'm happy is an understatement  :D  :D  :D  :D as soon as you can book we will be on the phone for a late 2015 cruise.

The only down side is that as she arrives the Independence will leave which is a shame as i really hoped that RC would expand the amount of ships based at Southampton  :( so our 2014 cruise may be the last time we sail on the Independence or the first time we cruise on Adventure.

To say i'm happy is an understatement  :D  :D  :D  :D as soon as you can book we will be on the phone for a late 2015 cruise.

The only down side is that as she arrives the Independence will leave which is a shame as i really hoped that RC would expand the amount of ships based at Southampton  :( so our 2014 cruise may be the last time we sail on the Independence or the first time we cruise on Adventure.

Well if demand from UK is high then Royal Caribbean might think about placing more ships there.

I sailed on Adventure back in 2010 my first cruise.Loved the ship.Just been on Liberty this September.Booked on Independence for next October 2'nd for 11 nights in a Junior Suite mid ship.

• 2 weeks later...

We love the Independence and even though it was our first cruise with Royal Caribbean you just felt at home as the staff were amazing and the ship was way above what the other cruise lines we have sailed with offered.

Not sure what your itinerary is in October but we did the Canaries ( Vigo, Lisbon, Lanzarote, Gran Canaria, Tenerife, Funchal & La Coruna) in late October this year and it was fantastic. The weather was good and in the high 80s in the Canaries. If you need to know anything just let me know and i will give you as much info as i can.

How did you find the difference between Voyager and Freedom class ?

Not a lot to chose between them, only real difference is that Voyager class do not have Flowrider or cantilever whirlpools.

We have sailed on every Voyager and Freedom class ship and tell them apart by the car or motorcycle on Main street.

Has any one a photo of the Car!! that was on Mariner before revitalization? Its the only one I don't have in my collection.

Anthem of the Seas is a real boost for all of us in the UK and we will be sure to book as soon as available.

Keep on Cruising

• 5 months later...

I was reading some posts on the internet (a reputable source of information if I've ever seen one) and some people think Anthem will go to UK when she is ready. 

Anyone heard anything?

How time has flown since RCL4Life posted the above and how right we all were. I can't wait till next year when she arrives at Southampton. I will be sad to see the Independence go but what a fantastic ship that is going to replace her.

How time has flown since RCL4Life posted the above and how right we all were. I can't wait till next year when she arrives at Southampton. I will be sad to see the Independence go but what a fantastic ship that is going to replace her.

Always fun to look back at old rumor posts

• 2 months later...

Yes news broke back in March or so when they released all the itineraries and had to backtrack on prior statements.

Quantum to NJ for this winter then off to China.

Anthem to do next summer (2015) in UK, then to NJ for the winter to replace Quantum.

Anthem is "expected" to go back to UK for Summer 2016 as far as I know although the schedule hasn't been released that far out so its speculation.

No idea on Quantum 3 :)

• 7 months later...

Hey, for those of you who are interested: Anthem of the Seas arrived at the Columbus Cruise Center in Bremerhaven, Germany last night. :)
I got to catch it on camera, eventhough it was a little bit dark ;)
This is the video link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Y8w51bcU2s

Hopefully I can film again within the next days :)
Greetings from Germany

• 2 weeks later...