Cruise canceled for charter

Mine was canceled over 2 years in advance, so all I got was a $200 OBC (had a suite booked) if I rebooked on something else.

If it's a closer in sailing they usually offer alternative sailings to be moved to and price protection plus some OBC. Or you can walk away and take the full refund. Sometimes they offer FCC too.

Back in the day when I was in an MLM they would sometimes reserve an entire ship. The people booked would normally get an FCC. These were generally booked by the MLM about a year out. I was on Facebook at the time so it was pretty easy to join the sailing page and see what they booked passengers were saying.

This happened with our August 28, 2023 cruise on Odyssey. The options we were given were to 1) rebook with one of 3 different cruises they offered around that sail date plus a $100 OBC ($200 if suite), plus an additional $50 for a third person, and reimbursement for non-refundable pre-purchased transportation change fees up to $200 for domestic changes and $400 for international changes; 2) if we preferred to select any other sailing (other than the 3 offered in 1)) they would waive the change fee but we would be responsible for any fare difference plus the reimbursement of transportation fees as in 1) and 3) a full refund of any paid portion of the cruise including non-refundable deposits. There would be no other compensation offered with this option.

2 hours ago, Mturk said:

we would be responsible for any fare difference

This is what I think is truly unacceptable.  The LEAST they can do is to price match your booking if they are making you change your sailing.  The fact that they expect YOU to make up the difference on a price that has undoubtedly gone up, is just not right.

1 hour ago, RCIfan1912 said:

How often would you say this happens? Would you say this happens closer to sailing date or much further out? I just would like to know the point that we could stop worrying about about something like this. 

I’m just guessing here, but I’d think you’re good inside a year.

1 hour ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

This is what I think is truly unacceptable.  The LEAST they can do is to price match your booking if they are making you change your sailing.  The fact that they expect YOU to make up the difference on a price that has undoubtedly gone up, is just not right.

This only happens if you do not select one of the approximately 3 price protected cruises that are usually around the original sailing date.

The 2 time I've had similar happen, the selection of cruises price protected showed as costing more than I paid, occasionally much more.

23 minutes ago, CruiseGus said:

This only happens if you do not select one of the approximately 3 price protected cruises that are usually around the original sailing date.

The 2 time I've had similar happen, the selection of cruises price protected showed as costing more than I paid, occasionally much more.

I have had cruises canceled because of charters twice. Both were over 15 years ago though.  Do not remember how I was compensated but do remember the one week was on a B2B.  Which then ruined going for the 2 weeks.  And one of the canceled cruises we were not given much notice.   Like a few weeks.