First Time Alaska Cruise from Vancouver

Hi all, we’re super excited about our upcoming cruise on Quantum of the Seas this May. I’m just confused about day 1-2 in Vancouver. The boat leaves dock at 3:30 AM on day 2. So does that mean it stays in port on day 1 then leaves at 3:30 AM on day 2? I know it seems like a novice question but we’ve never been on a cruise that didn’t leave port on day 1. Any advice about shore excursions for Ketchikan, Sitka, and Juneau would be appreciated!

4 hours ago, SpeedNoodles said:

Whale watching in Juneau is amazing!  And I do believe that means that the ship will leave the port at 0330.  If I recall correctly, they have to time departure when tide is low to get underneath the Lion's Gate bridge.

This is correct.  Day one is to let pax board at a reasonable hour.  "Day two" (not really a day) is to catch the morning low tide. 

Screenshot 2023-03-23 at 4.44.28 PM.png

While it is not as close as it looks, it is impressive to see.  Highly recommend getting up early to see that bridge passage.  

If you are not from the west coast, it shouldn’t be too hard to go to bed a little earlier and to get up early.  It should take a little to get from the port to the bridge and with the longer daylight hours, you should have some visibility.

image.png

I have always wanted to go on a cruise to Alaska or up north, somewhere away from the Caribbean or Bermuda.

I used to go whale watching on Cape Cod every year on my grandfather's sailboat.

My travel agent has recently been promoting Royal Caribbean trips. He seemed overly enthusiastic about all the wonderful wildlife up north.

image.png

Its been a few years back when we did Vancouver to Seward then a week long land tour  by bus/train to Fairbanks via Talkeetna and Denali. This was done in mid/late August and the weather was perfect. It was truly a trip of a life time and worth every penny.

Some high lights included:

• Seeing Hubbard glacier calve.
  • The narrow gauge railway at Skagway following the gold rush trail
  • Whale watching from Anchorage thought we say more whales, closer from the ship and dock at Icy Point Straight.
  • Luxurious RC train coaches with 360 degree views and on board meals.
  • Seeing bears and wolves in Denali as well as dog sled teams.

I do not think RC offers the extensive a land cruise any longer which was exceptional. I think it is cut back to 3 or 4 days and I think they sold the rail road cars that cost over a million each to another company that hosts the land tour. Regardless, if you get good weather, its a trip not to be missed if you can do it.

9 hours ago, Ditchdoc said:

Its been a few years back when we did Vancouver to Seward then a week long land tour  by bus/train to Fairbanks via Talkeetna and Denali. This was done in mid/late August and the weather was perfect. It was truly a trip of a life time and worth every penny.

Some high lights included:

• Seeing Hubbard glacier calve.
  • The narrow gauge railway at Skagway following the gold rush trail
  • Whale watching from Anchorage thought we say more whales, closer from the ship and dock at Icy Point Straight.
  • Luxurious RC train coaches with 360 degree views and on board meals.
  • Seeing bears and wolves in Denali as well as dog sled teams.

I do not think RC offers the extensive a land cruise any longer which was exceptional. I think it is cut back to 3 or 4 days and I think they sold the rail road cars that cost over a million each to another company that hosts the land tour.

They do still offer the cruisetours! If you search available cruises by Alaska as the destination and choose 12+ nights for the length of the sailing you will see them. We did the 8B pre- cruisetour southbound back in 2014..it was an amazing 2 weeks!