Barcelona Spain Hotel Recommendations

daha699

I've visited Barcelona MANY times and have stayed in several different hotels.  What I've learned over the years is that the best place to be as a tourist is as close as possible to the Placa Catalunya.  The Placa is the large public square at the northern terminus of Las Ramblas, the great pedestrian promenade.  All of Barcelona's transportation options use the Placa as a hub...including the HOHO bus tour.  The cheap, easy Aerobus to and from the airport uses the Placa as it's ultimate stop.  El Corte Ingles has an extremely large department store with a great Supermarket in its basement right on the Placa.  Most of the tourist sites are easy walking distance.  A taxi from the Placa to the cruise port is pretty inexpensive for the short ride.

For our cruise coming up in April on Symphony of the Seas, we will be staying both pre- and post-cruise at the H10 Catalunya Plaza--a great little hotel right on the Placa.  We stayed there pre- and post-cruise this past August as well.  We've also stayed in the 1898 Hotel on Las Ramblas just south of the Placa and it's wonderful though a bit pricey.  We've also stayed at the Hotel Continental, right on Las Ramblas, just off the Placa--You can't beat the location and it can be usually had for a bargain.  The Hotel Jazz, just off the Placa is another longtime cruiser favorite.

You can start with those...

We stayed at the Hotel Continental and enjoyed it.  Right on the Rambla, an easy cab ride anywhere in the city (my recollection is it was about $12 to the Gaudi cathedral area) with nice rooms and a complimentary 24-hour of "heavy snacks" (salads, cold chicken legs, cured meats and cheeses, hard-boiled eggs, oatmeal or cereal, toast and jam, etc. depending on the time of day) and drinks (coffee, tea, juices, soda, still and sparkling water, and a local beer on tap) with which we were able to make quite decent meals.

It was comfortable, clean and they have a tiny sitting area overlooking the Rambla which - if you can get the space - is a wonderful place to sit with a glass of beer and watch Barcelona stroll by.  It was also quite cost-effective, especially with food included.

1 hour ago, Riley said:

We stayed at the Hotel Continental and enjoyed it.  Right on the Rambla, an easy cab ride anywhere in the city (my recollection is it was about $12 to the Gaudi cathedral area) with nice rooms and a complimentary 24-hour of "heavy snacks" (salads, cold chicken legs, cured meats and cheeses, hard-boiled eggs, oatmeal or cereal, toast and jam, etc. depending on the time of day) and drinks (coffee, tea, juices, soda, still and sparkling water, and a local beer on tap) with which we were able to make quite decent meals.

It was comfortable, clean and they have a tiny sitting area overlooking the Rambla which - if you can get the space - is a wonderful place to sit with a glass of beer and watch Barcelona stroll by.  It was also quite cost-effective, especially with food included.

forgive me there 2 Hotels  CONTINENTAL PALACETE and HOTEL CONTINENTAL Barcelona, what one are you referring ?   

5 hours ago, daha699 said:

forgive me there 2 Hotels  CONTINENTAL PALACETE and HOTEL CONTINENTAL Barcelona, what one are you referring ?   

They are both owned by the same operator...but, most often, people are talking about the Continental.  If you book it, get a room with a balcony over Las Ramblas.  They do have special screens installed which block out light and noise from Las Ramblas when you want to actually get some sleep.  Otherwise, as Riley noited, the free buffet has beer...they also have some free cheap, bad red wine.  But it's fun to go get some drinks and sit out on your balcony and people watch.  OTOH, though we've stayed there twice, my wife thought the beds were hard and the decor tacky...and it's a little strange to get to...it's a multi-purpose building and their lobby is on an upper floor so you need to use the elevator and need to buszz in and out of each floor for security...OTOH, it has security.

Another note:  At any hotel. book as early as you can...prices tend to go up closer to your dates.  Best deals are WAY in advance.

On 3/23/2023 at 7:34 PM, daha699 said:

very nice i am debating between Casa Camper and Hotel Jazz  ??????

I haven't stayed in the others so I can't compare.  What I liked about Casa Camper was a couple of things in particular.  They have an open buffet during the day so we were able to eat breakfast and lunch there and save money that way.  Lunch was just simple sandwiches or cheese but sufficient.  I found the honor bar on top of the building to be quite relaxing.  

I'm doing the same research for our Transatlantic from Barcelona in October. We're getting in three days early to have time to both acclimate to the time change and see some of the city. I've checked out some of the hotels mentioned, one problem I've run into is that we are three adults and some of these hotels don't have a single room with that occupancy. Getting two rooms starts to really get pricey.

20 minutes ago, KevinJ said:

I'm doing the same research for our Transatlantic from Barcelona in October. We're getting in three days early to have time to both acclimate to the time change and see some of the city. I've checked out some of the hotels mentioned, one problem I've run into is that we are three adults and some of these hotels don't have a single room with that occupancy. Getting two rooms starts to really get pricey.

We stayed at Hotel Nouvel on Calle Santa Anna last August for 4 nights before getting on Wonder. Old, beautiful and incredibly centrally located: https://www.hotelnouvel.es/en/ . We walked almost everywhere. We had a "Jr Suite" with the rounded balcony right above the sign in the web page photo. There was one bed (2 twins together, like on the ship) and then another twin behind a half wall. They also have what they call a triple room. Rate then was under $150/night.