Corkage Fee Returning?

17 minutes ago, FManke said:

I know it's called a corkage fee, but will they still charge you if you bring your own wine and open it yourself? Or are they truly just charging you to open the bottle?

It hasn't anything to do with actually opening it.  You could certainly paya corkage fee on a screw-top bottle.  

1 minute ago, monorailmedic said:

It hasn't anything to do with actually opening it.  You could certainly paya corkage fee on a screw-top bottle.  

That's kind of what I was thinking. Its like most places and they are really charging you a service fee for bringing your own wine, or some might call it a penalty fee.

12 hours ago, EmersonNZ said:

I think we have to expect it will return.... there seems to be a consistent theme of adding little fees here and there at the moment in the industry.

Isn't this better than not allowing you to BYOB? I know it's a charge, but.

5 hours ago, FManke said:

Isn't this better than not allowing you to BYOB? I know it's a charge, but.

Totally agree. The only issue I'd have is adding a fee for something that is 'free' now (Or built into the current cost of the cruise). I wouldn't have so much of an issue if they subsequently dropped my cruise fee by the amount of revenue this would generate divided by each stateroom... but I don't see that happening :-)

8 hours ago, EmersonNZ said:

Totally agree. The only issue I'd have is adding a fee for something that is 'free' now (Or built into the current cost of the cruise). I wouldn't have so much of an issue if they subsequently dropped my cruise fee by the amount of revenue this would generate divided by each stateroom... but I don't see that happening :-)

Put this in the $7.95 room service fee category.

Looks like it has already returned....  I really like having wine with dinner, but as long as I can bring a few bottles on-board to have on the balcony with no fee, I can live with it.  Just a matter of time before they start charging at embarkation though....

I guess everyone will have to decide if bringing a wine that they really like onboard to have with dinner is worth the $15 premium that comes along with the corkage fee. I don't know what the prices of wine are on board or the selection, but I guess people will have to make that decision for themselves. Are a lot of people bringing wine on board specifically to drink during dinner? I got the feeling most of it was to consume in their cabins.

11 hours ago, FManke said:

I guess everyone will have to decide if bringing a wine that they really like onboard to have with dinner is worth the $15 premium that comes along with the corkage fee. I don't know what the prices of wine are on board or the selection, but I guess people will have to make that decision for themselves. Are a lot of people bringing wine on board specifically to drink during dinner? I got the feeling most of it was to consume in their cabins.

I brought mine usually to have with dinner.  Often to get a glad of wine quickly is a real challenge.  When i travel with my husband,  he usually drinks the wine and i get the drink pkg.  Until they start charging to bring it on,  we will just ask the room attendant for a corkscrew or frankly enjoy one of the gazillion great screwtop wines available (die to the cork shortage! )  Jane

Not a big impact for us, we typically drink the wine (or beer in wine shaped bottles) as pre-dinner drinks in our rooms so the corkage fee wont impact us but it just continues the continuing trend of "there's a fee for that". One of our original like's for RCI was that they were less that way than a Carnival or NCL ... just another area that RCI has dropped back to the pack.

If Royal does reinstitute the corkage fee, does this mean you'll be allowed to bring in more than two bottles? I can't remember the old policy when the corkage fee was in place. I'm just curious as lines like Princess charge a corkage fee of $15 per bottle but don't limit the number of bottles. 

35 minutes ago, DocLC said:

If Royal does reinstitute the corkage fee, does this mean you'll be allowed to bring in more than two bottles? I can't remember the old policy when the corkage fee was in place. I'm just curious as lines like Princess charge a corkage fee of $15 per bottle but don't limit the number of bottles. 

No.  As I understand it, as for now, just 2 bottles will be allowed.

Silly question, but somewhat relevant - on our last cruise we received a bottle of wine from our travel agent as well as another from RC for our honeymoon...moving forward would those also be subject to a corkage fee? I'm assuming so, but honestly it feels like grey area.

1 hour ago, mamabdw said:

Silly question, but somewhat relevant - on our last cruise we received a bottle of wine from our travel agent as well as another from RC for our honeymoon...moving forward would those also be subject to a corkage fee? I'm assuming so, but honestly it feels like grey area.

No, because these are purchased or delivered as part of the onboard gifts department. 

Some restaurants (ensure you call first!) allow you to bring your own wine, but charge a corkage fee.  I do not see this as out of the ordinary.  I like have the ability to bring 2 bottles of my favorite wines on my cruise.  The $7.50 cordage fee is still better than the 50-100% markup for the wine on the ship's wine list.   Agree with DocLC - let me bring more....